AVG

Cobalt35

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi Everyone... I've just recently started working at an IT company and much to my dismay we sell and promote the business and server versions of AVG antivirus. I've hinted to the boss that it may not be the best but he brushed it off. We have a staff meeting tonight and I'm probably going to bring it up... but before I do I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with these versions of AVG? I personally hate AVG so I might be a little bit biased, hence the question.

PM a mod to move this to the Networking and Security forum. More experienced members lurk there that deal with corporate/enterprise/business versions of AV products.

Well, the newer versions of AVG (2011/12) are much better than what AVG used to be. The test results are some of the best for Free AV. I do not know if the business version of AVG uses the 2011/12 engine though. If it does, then I wouldn't worry. Unfortunately, there's more to business AV than just the scanning engine. Things like Administration play a big roll.

Talk him into moving to Kaspersky. Hands down best paid AV, plus the Administration utility is absolutely fantastic and easy to use. Both http://www.av-comparatives.org/ and http://www.av-test.org/en/home/ rank Kaspersky and other products that use Kaspersky engine (like F-Secure) as top of the line AV.

I use the latest version of AVG and have found it to be quite reliable. It updates definitions daily and scans in the background. It protects email and surfing as well as rootkits and personal info. it's unobtrusive and has saved me from nasties a number of times.

Hi Everyone... I've just recently started working at an IT company and much to my dismay we sell and promote the business and server versions of AVG antivirus. I've hinted to the boss that it may not be the best but he brushed it off. We have a staff meeting tonight and I'm probably going to bring it up... but before I do I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with these versions of AVG? I personally hate AVG so I might be a little bit biased, hence the question.

I've been using AVG since 2004, so I may be a little biased as well, but I find it to be rather good at what it does. I have read several security reports that rank it among the top and it is very lightweight.

As for so called "business" or "enterprise" scanners, I (was) forced to use Mcafee when I had a windows machine. This particular AV software was perhaps one of the worst programs I have ever used. It can take a high end SATA 6gbs drive and make it crawl. It triple scans on write/read combos and has an insane performance hit when being used with networked drives. It also has a rather high false positive rate along with letting some more common viruses slip right on by, like the kind users get when clicking on those stupid facebook invites using their business email accounts :(

So in my experience I'd say go with the little guys, because there more on top of what they're doing. The big dogs really just want to drain you of money and offer little actual protection. I'd actually put it on my list of companies I'd be more interested in, if they did use AVG or other alternative software.

Back