AV-40 Setup and Sound Card Question

the.ronin

Limp Gawd
Just pulled the trigger on today’s woot! Which is a pair of refurbed AV-40s for like $95 shipped. Too good to pass up. These will replace some meh Sony 2.1 speakers.

I know these things are much larger compared to typical computer speakers so I was wondering how others have set their’s up? I have a decent sized L-shaped desk but between all my crap and a dual monitor setup, I’d like to conserve as much as space as possible without sacrificing optimal speaker placement too much.

tribalgoodness.jpg

I was even thinking of mounting some monitor brackets just above my dual monitors.

Also wondering if I should pull the trigger on a sound card to make the most of the AV-40s? I’m currently running off of onboard sound from an EVGA X58 SLI LE mobo. But then again, although I do a lot of video editing with audio mixing, I’m by no means an audiophile and all this editing I do is for home videos and such.

I'd suggest mounting or isolation, yes. You will want them a bit forward of your LCD's, as AV40's are not made for off-axis listening. Ideally, at ear level facing you in the triangle pattern.

As for a sound card - I'd fine tune your placement and see how well you like the sound first.

Speakers with rear-firing bass ports are not ideal if they will be against the back wall. I believe it accentuates the bass. No big deal.

The AV40 is not that big once you get used to it. It's just that most computer speakers are so tiny. As for placement you should elevate them so that the tweeters are on the same level as your ears. Keeping the woofer as far away from the top of your desk will minimize reflection to your ears. I suggest elevating as opposed to simply angling the speakers upward.

Normally you'd point the speakers towards you because you hear every nuance in the music when you're monitoring. Keep the speakers equidistant to you as they are far apart. Think of an equilateral triangle. This may not always be practical.

When you want easy listening and depending on your room dimensions you may find pointing the speakers outwards will expand the soundstage which is very nice.

If your onboard sound is clean with the speakers then I would keep it.

Back