Auto-emailing

boss6021

Limp Gawd
Our company sends out a report everday generated by our AS400. I'm looking for an easy way to have it automatically emailed. I currently have a java program that does it. The only issue is that if i were to ever leave, i can't guarantee the next person will be able to manage this. I have also been demoing MAPilab's software. It's ok, but seems unreliable. I need it to be dead simple, and reliable.

Is anyone aware of a software solution for this?

Is the output of the AS400 what gets mailed, or does the AS400 output determine who gets mailed? Some high level concepts include: exposing a web service that can handle the e-mailing aspect (likely a parameterized web service), or having a watcher monitor the file system for content dumped by the AS400.

Any deeper and (especially) technical suggestions on this really depends more on what your current company's strengths are. Are they a Java shop? Are you the only developer? Is this Java app of yours running as a background process, or does this require manual/user intervention to trigger? Perhaps thinking about these kinds of questions will give you a better pool of options that's inline with your current company's capabilities.

But regardless of technical approach, proper documentation is paramount. Both in code and in external files (doc, xls, etc.).

Back