Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones for $129 @Amazon. More deals also!

Good deal on those M50x's.

I wouldn't play COD:G for free lol, I would have to get paid, like... at least $15/hr

I wonder how they stack up to the A900X. I have a pair of those and I really like them.

Not saying they're not a great set of headphones, but they are considered entry-level to the headphone crowd.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

I bought these for the same price a few weeks back from a SlickDeals post.

These are good cans for far and away the vast majority of the population, though. Most of the population can't distinguish sounds from even a high bit rate MP3 and a FLAC. Even less actually need higher rated cans, unless maybe they're musicians or work with audio for a living. Unless I just had money to burn, not being an audophile, musician or working with audio for a living, I can't imagine why I would spend more money on a pair of headphones though. These generally go closer the $200 mark though.

These are good cans for far and away the vast majority of the population, though. Most of the population can't distinguish sounds from even a high bit rate MP3 and a FLAC. Even less actually need higher rated cans, unless maybe they're musicians or work with audio for a living. Unless I just had money to burn, not being an audophile, musician or working with audio for a living, I can't imagine why I would spend more money on a pair of headphones though. These generally go closer the $200 mark though.

Identifying 320kpbs MP3 versus lossless isn't as easy as it sounds (pun intended). Tidal has arranged a good MP3/lossless test here: http://test.tidalhifi.com/

How would these stack up against my shure 440's? I find the 440's a bit weak on the bass and somewhat uncomfortable.

Low end was just a very poor choice of words. Even headfi didn't describe them that way. They were called entry level, in reference to audiophile obviously not in reference to any headphone / IEM because the low end is occupied by several levels before the M50X even shows up on the headfi list. Think about what these really are, a $150 set of cans, how many people even own headphones in that price range? Not a ton, low end would be most IEMs that come with stuff and the junk you can buy at all the brick and mortar retailers like Logitech etc.... As for the car analogies, once again a lot are way off. A Honda civic is a basic small sedan/compact that can be owned by just about everyone to me that is more like cheapo $30 head phones. I bet Honda sells millions more Civics than AT sells M50s just to put it in perspective. The M50X is a first foray into higher end audio. So find a car analogy that would be your first foray into higher end cars, maybe its something like a decked out full sedan from one of the big companies like the cheapest BMW, not a civic which is an econobox sold to teens just because you think its a little nicer than cobolt doesn't means anything they are all in the same class value small cars that often sit at the second cheapest price point at a dealer. The only way you can get much cheaper is to buy a bike or motorcycle.

How would these stack up against my shure 440's? I find the 440's a bit weak on the bass and somewhat uncomfortable.

m50s are known to have good bass. Might be just what you're looking for. Tyll at InnerFidelity gave them a very good review for the money, subjectively and objectively.

These are great headphones and I paid like $150 for them without thinking twice. I have the open air ones too, and although the sound stage isn't as good with the m50x they provide a much better isolation, which is what I needed when doing homework and need to not be bothered. They get a little uncomfortable after about 2 hours of wearing but you can get velvet pads that fix that but get rid of some bass.

I would like to stress that those are two very different measures though. I have headphones that cost markedly more than the m50s (which I also own); and I don't bother with FLAC or similar.

Diminishing returns of course; but headphones themselves are markedly more noticeable in terms of improvement then source(dac/bitrate) or amp (Up unto the ~250-300 price point I think; overall rig *very* dependent).

To put it another way; sit at my desk and listen to my HD595s/Ath M50s (595s put in also as they are same price point, but have the trademark Sennheiser sound); then listen to my HD650s. You will *easily* tell the difference between each; ignoring of comfort. Whether the differences are worth spending money on is a different question entirely; but there is no denying the differences.

Last edited:
I got a pair for around 99$ from a store closing sale.

Anyone else notice they get very fatigued after listening to the m50s for around 30m or so?

I got a pair for around 99$ from a store closing sale.

Anyone else notice they get very fatigued after listening to the m50s for around 30m or so?

With stock pads; my ears hurt after about that. I've seen some mentions of replacing the pads to fix; but I have not yet done so. (Big comfy Beyer velours would be wonderful on there...)

I just spotted Audio Technica selling their ath-m50x at Amazon for $130 w/ fs. Deal ends in less than 6 hours.

Great cans for the money. Personally, I'd probably buy Sennheiser's 558 instead. Even without a sale, those regularly cost $30 less, but the 558 are also open air vs closed, not as portable, and more fragile. For $130, the m50x are pretty awesome, much better on-the-go, and the closed design makes them better headphones for use in an office or noisy environment.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
$120 isn't that great of a deal but I guess it;s decent since it's been retailing for more. I got the original M50 a couple years ago for $100 shipped. The M50x is very similar and has a removable cable. I love the cans though! :D

had one now for 2+ years, amazing sounds. Only recently replaced with a Vmoda Crossfade M-100. Gave the ATH-m50 to my 8 year old daughter for minecraft and her tablet. She loves it.

$120 isn't that great of a deal but I guess it;s decent since it's been retailing for more. I got the original M50 a couple years ago for $100 shipped. The M50x is very similar and has a removable cable. I love the cans though! :D
Maybe you haven't paid attention to m50x pricing the last few years? Camelcc says $130 was the lowest price it's been all year on Amazon, and $15 off the best price from a 3rd party seller.

Also, the m50x has three detachable cables vs the m50. That's at least part of the price difference.

Sale is over tho, price is up a bit to $140 now. I'd guess they'll see another big sale or two b4 xmas tho.

Also the used section in Amazon usually has open box for around that price. There's a Japanese version that is the same headset but sometimes cheaper, for those on a budget. Great headphones for traveling

Maybe you haven't paid attention to m50x pricing the last few years? Camelcc says $130 was the lowest price it's been all year on Amazon, and $15 off the best price from a 3rd party seller.

Also, the m50x has three detachable cables vs the m50. That's at least part of the price difference.

Sale is over tho, price is up a bit to $140 now. I'd guess they'll see another big sale or two b4 xmas tho.

In terms of sound quality, they're the same. So it's up to you if you want to pay more for detachable cables.

Back