Audio file Converter

Ok guys, I'm personally looking for suggestions on a good quality converter that will convert .wma files to .mp3 files. I need good quality sample conversion rates, preferably capable of 128 bit or better.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to look for?

Dark Assassin

Good quality is a term that never applies to files that have been transcoded between lossy formats.
You are better of starting over and ripping the tracks again.

Well, therein lies the problem. I only have these music files on my computer as .wma files and I can't exactly retrieve the CD's that someone ripped in my absence since they are in California and I'm in Illinois.

Is there no program known to man that can simply convert to an .mp3 format?

I'm hard pressed to believe that.

Dark Assassin

dBpowerAMP music converter.

Every time you transcode an audio file, god kills a kitten.

The evils of transcoding are in my opinion one of the most over-exaggerated rumours on the internet. If I transcode a 128kb mp3 into a q-4 ogg, I can't tell the difference, and the files are 99% the same. Don't worry about transcoding unless you can actually hear the difference. I can't.

you know you're right! I couldn't tell the difference either if I was using wallgreen brand earbuds out of my computer's onboard sound.

hmm, now that I think about it, I probably could....

If I transcode a 128kb mp3 into a q-4 ogg, I can't tell the difference, and the files are 99% the same.

What reasoning do you have for such a fruitless operation?

As far as the files being 99% the same...... care to demonstate this for us STEWPID folks that KNOW transcoding is not some overhyped rumor?

As I said, one of the most exaggerated rumours out there. It's not too difficult to try yourself, just take an ordinary 128kb mp3, encode it to a q-4 ogg and try to ABX the two. I know I can't do it off my Audigy 2 ZS going to ATP3's.

As for the 99% the same, that was going by someone using a utility known as wavecomparer. Unfortunately, the program doesn't seem to want to work properly on my PC, so I can't actually give you results. I have uploaded the program at http://www.freewebs.com/dravalier/WaveComparer.exe if you want to try it yourself.

Anyway, I realize my ears aren't golden, but I doubt I'm so deaf as not to perceive the huge quality loss that supposedly comes from transcoding.

Originally posted by Dark Assassin
Well, therein lies the problem. I only have these music files on my computer as .wma files and I can't exactly retrieve the CD's that someone ripped in my absence since they are in California and I'm in Illinois.

Is there no program known to man that can simply convert to an .mp3 format?

I'm hard pressed to believe that.

Dark Assassin

Thanks alot. I'll try that program. The only reason I need to transcode these files is because I want consistent mp3 files in my MP3 directory, imagine that.

Dark Assassin

Back