audigy 2 zs to receiver

chuckm1020

[H]ard|Gawd
i have my audigy 2 zs hooked up to my receiver in my room, the speaker system has 4 speakers hooked up to it, i just use a little connector that converts the sound card connector to rca connectors, so practically its a 2.1 hookup on the soundcard, is there a way to do digital output, or is there any other better way to hook this system up, sorry if this post its confusing its kind of hard to type it.:)

also when i turn my receiver up really loud without any other sounds on i hear a buzzzzzzzzzzz, i want to eliminate that

Does your receiver have 5.1 analog inputs on it or are you stuck w/ stereo?

If you only have the ZS (not platinum or pro) then you won't have coax out but the analog/digital out may or may not work for you (hows that for confusing).

There have been recent discussion on this board and others about what that particular plug actually outputs, signal wise (2/3/4 pole, etc.). There have also been similar discussions about how that particular port seems to carry no bass to receivers, or, more precisely, no signal that is reproduced as sound.

If your receiver only has stereo inputs (no 5.1) then you could try the 3 pole to RCA interconnect (into your receiver's digital coax input) if you can find one, but personally i wouldn't hold my breath on that (I can't get that port to send enough of a bass signal to notice no matter what type of plug i use).

The buzz to me sounds like a ground loop...

pb

the buzzz has happend with my old audigy and the audigy 2zs but is only slight, i hear this is normal.

would it sound better if i bought the platnium drive for my audigy and did optical to my receiver, the only bad thing is to have the stupid cable come out the front of my case, i wonder if i could buy an external platnium driver for it

I don't think you're really going to tell much of a difference in the sound coming out of the front vs. coming out of the back. You still didn't answer if you had 5.1 inputs or not, but i'm going assume not at this point.

If you go digital you'd at least be able to pick up the 5.1 encoding on dvds that you're missing now, but positional sound in games, etc. will still be absent.

So, the question is, is 5.1 in movies on that pc worth another $100 to you. Only you can answer that one :)

no i dont have 5.1 inputs, i really dont miss out on the dvd's, its not worth spending that much money on something that will barely make a difference proabably. so optical wont be to much of a difference?

All sending information over optical/coaxial is going to do is change when the digital signal is changed into analog. With analog, the sound card does it, while with digital the speakers do it. Since the Audigy 2 ZS has very good digital-to-analog convertors, you're not going to notice too much of a difference if you're using digital or analog cabling (analog may even be better, depending on your speakers).

Back