ATT Captivate: Release Date and Pricing

Actually I just talked to ATT. They confirmed it... $350 no-contract pricing.

You'd be a damned fool to buy this thing in-contract then.

It's twice the phone the $700 iPhone is and half the cost. Anyone need more proof the iPhone is a ripoff? LOL

It's twice the phone the $700 iPhone is and half the cost. Anyone need more proof the iPhone is a ripoff? LOL

be a fool to buy it in-contract?
why's that?

unless you mean to purchase an unlocked one... but haven't seen any unlocked phones for under $500 or so

be a fool to buy it in-contract?
why's that?
The freedom of taking it elsewhere... Pretty sure if you aren't under contract ATT has to unlock it for you. Or you could just pay $10 to get it done OTA by a third party.

You're a fool to sign a contract on this one because contracts introduce a $375 ETF...

The freedom of taking it elsewhere... Pretty sure if you aren't under contract ATT has to unlock it for you. Or you could just pay $10 to get it done OTA by a third party.

You're a fool to sign a contract on this one because contracts introduce a $375 ETF...

good point, for you folks who have better alternatives :p

I've been with AT&T for... 11 years? Or so. AT&T, then got bought out by Dobson Cellular One, then AT&T bought it back.

no better alternatives in Alaska, so I wouldn't mind signing a contract again.

good point, for you folks who have better alternatives :p

:)

This works out perfect for me, actually. Not only do I not have to pay my $150 ETF if I stay on ATT, it means the sale of my 3GS would 100% cover this thing... So it's like I can upgrade to it for free.

Last edited:
If TM really moved their release date to the 15th, it'll be before my 30 day trial with Verizon is finished. That would save me the $325 ETF. Me like that!!!

That's be awesome for you. I don't know how much merit it has or not. It looks like it's legit (employee snapped a pic of internal promo packet)...

I wonder if all the Radio Shack pre-orders will be moved up?

How is this twice the iphone 4? The iphone has 7 times the apps @ $200 contract price.

How is this twice the iphone 4? The iphone has 7 times the apps @ $200 contract price.

It has 490,000 apps? LOL

The Android has 70K apps. iPhone has 200K.
Two things
1) Android adds 10K apps a month.
2) Search for "flashlight" in your app store. There's tons of redundant apps that do the same damn thing... It skews the numbers.

Edit, oops... Why it's better?
Processors are roughly the same, it's suspected the iPhone's is underclocked. Slight edge to the Galaxy.
Graphically, the iPhone 4 can produce 24 million triangles per second. Galaxy? 90 million (which vastly outperforms all handheld gaming systems like the PSP, DS, and even the Wii, PS2, etc). Galaxy is the best phone out there right now in this area.
The Galaxy uses LPDDR2, which uses half as much power as the iPhone's LPDDR1.
Galaxy has expandable memory.
Galaxy has better color reproduction and sucks less power, but the iPhone has higher resolution.
Galaxy is the only phone right now that supports Bluetooth 3.0
Galaxy will actually do a video out
Galaxy's battery life is rumored at close to double the iPhone's.
Galaxy's screen is larger, so the overall size is slightly bigger. Thickness is half a mm thinner on the iPhone.
The Galaxy weighs about 20g less

I was going to wait for the Fascinate, but since I'm already on AT&T, I'd much rather get the Captivate off-contract. Plus I wasn't very happy with Bing Maps and search being preloaded without being sure they could be replaced. My only concern for the Galaxy S is the PenTile Matrix display. I don't like the look of the Nexus One or Incredible when reading text. Hopefully this one won't be as bad.

Cool thanks for the info. Thought the android only has 30,000. Im going to sell my iphone 4 and get the Samsung now because its the smarter thing to do thanks to you. =)

I was going to wait for the Fascinate, but since I'm already on AT&T, I'd much rather get the Captivate off-contract. Plus I wasn't very happy with Bing Maps and search being preloaded without being sure they could be replaced. My only concern for the Galaxy S is the PenTile Matrix display. I don't like the look of the Nexus One or Incredible when reading text. Hopefully this one won't be as bad.
Super AMOLED is alot better than the AMOLEDs found in those.
Text on an AMOLED won't be as good as an LCD because just simple fact of the matter is that pixels are bigger... That said I've done the math and it *shouldn't* be worse than reading an LCD monitor.

Cool thanks for the info. Thought the android only has 30,000. Im going to sell my iphone 4 and get the Samsung now because its the smarter thing to do thanks to you. =)
I'd just return it... You're within the 30 day no-questions window.

my sarcasm detector is broken today :p

I'm definitely gonna get the Captivate.
Getting tired of my Tilt. WinMo 6.0 wasn't all that great, and the phone runs sluggish as hell running a WinMo 6.5.3 ROM.

Been waiting for AT&T to finally offer an Android phone that wasn't as sub-par as the Backflip and Aria.

Until AT&T stops gimping Android by making Bing the only search engine/maps and locking phones from installing non-market apps (amongst and myriad of other things to make Android less appealing), STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM ANDROID PHONES ON AT&T.

my sarcasm detector is broken today :p
IDK if he's serious or not. I have no idea. That's why I didn't comment much on it, LOL.

I'm definitely gonna get the Captivate.
Getting tired of my Tilt. WinMo 6.0 wasn't all that great, and the phone runs sluggish as hell running a WinMo 6.5.3 ROM.
Dude those older HTC phones were $hit... I'd keep my iPhone before going back to those.

So this will be a major upgrade for you :)

Been waiting for AT&T to finally offer an Android phone that wasn't as sub-par as the Backflip and Aria.
Two things worry me
1) They've locked Apps down to Market-only. I don't know if that's something that can be bypassed with custom ROMs or if that's something that they're managing network-side.
2) Froyo 2.2 update... I hope ATT doesn't screw around too long in delivering it. Even if they don't I guess NBD, community would probably port the TMobile ROM over.

Until AT&T stops gimping Android by making Bing the only search engine/maps and locking phones from installing non-market apps (amongst and myriad of other things to make Android less appealing), STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM ANDROID PHONES ON AT&T.

You can custom ROM the damned thing if you want to get away from Bing. Plus AFAIK you can still get Google maps on it as well, it's just not there default.

Most users will never custom ROM or root, thus getting a faulty impression of Android based on AT&T's hack job.

AT&T isn't putting Bing on it. Verizon is with the Fascinate though.

As far as I know, and I've been tracking the Galaxy S series for some time now, the only thing "gimped" about the AT&T version is that there is no side loading. I can live with that since it's going to be rooted (like how quickly the Aria was rooted) anyways.

As far as I know, and I've been tracking the Galaxy S series for some time now, the only thing "gimped" about the AT&T version is that there is no side loading. I can live with that since it's going to be rooted (like how quickly the Aria was rooted) anyways.

I thought you could side-load? you just couldn't install non-market place directly from the phone itself.

or was it only the Backflip that you could side-load apps on to?

Side-loading (even if it's true) is easily bypassed by a custom ROM. I'd prefer if they did a device-level hack like that anyway because we can remove it... Whereas a network-level block you can't get around.

Sprint needs to get on the ball and announce a release date for the Epic!

Epic should be coming in about 2 months (as soon as 1.5 months). I was selected to be the guy who gets the Epic early in my store, should get in in a week or two.

Too bad I have my third interview with AT&T tomorrow...

That's be awesome for you. I don't know how much merit it has or not. It looks like it's legit (employee snapped a pic of internal promo packet)...

I wonder if all the Radio Shack pre-orders will be moved up?
I'm buying a Vibrant (no contract version) even if I get hit with Verizon's ETF. I can recoup the $325 by selling my Incredible. People are paying over $400 for used ones on eBay. Mine is one of the last with the AMOLED screen so it's in high demand. :D

Hmmm,

I am planning on selling off my 3GS and the only reason i continue to steer toward the iphone 4 is the apps...

Also...is there something comparable to push on the android OS?

Push email? Gmail and exchange is push, you can have pop mailboxes pull through gmail, so they're effectively push.

Well my work email is not gmail or exchance
I acheived push e-mail on the iphone by using a service I forwarded all my emails to, and they would create a push notification to my phone.
This is almost must for me, but I do not use exchange for work so almost seems like im SOL :-(

Couple questions:
1. Are there any definitive results as far as battery life?
2. What is ATT's return policy on this type of phone?

Last edited:
I'm buying a Vibrant (no contract version) even if I get hit with Verizon's ETF. I can recoup the $325 by selling my Incredible. People are paying over $400 for used ones on eBay. Mine is one of the last with the AMOLED screen so it's in high demand. :D
Yea but if you avoid the ETF you can save that money and put toward the phone.

Well my work email is not gmail or exchance
I acheived push e-mail on the iphone by using a service I forwarded all my emails to, and they would create a push notification to my phone.
The service you're using still probably only pulls emails down every 15 minutes. It might immediately push them after that but overall it's still a 15 minute delay. No different than Gmail... So I'd second that route.

Couple questions:
1. Are there any definitive results as far as battery life?
2. What is ATT's return policy on this type of phone?
1) Not for the US ones. Standby is rated twice the iPhone 4. Check out this thread in XDA about it... Just look at the comments, it's safe to say you'll make it through the day- which is all that matters.
2) IIRC they have 30 days on all phones.

Is the a site that shows the different features for the various versions of the Galaxy S phones? Any reviews yet? I'm not on contract now and want to choose carefully.

Is the a site that shows the different features for the various versions of the Galaxy S phones? Any reviews yet? I'm not on contract now and want to choose carefully.

They're all the same device... The Sprint has the 4G capability, it's bigger (due to slider keyboard), has front facing camera and flash.

The rest of them are largely the same. ATT and Tmobile versions have 16GB onboard.

Each has an appearance that is a little different. The Vibrant looks the most like the European Galaxy S. The Epic 4G has a flash and front-facing camera. The Fascinate has a flash, but no front-facing camera. The Vibrant and Captivate are the same, and do not have a flash or front-facing camera. Then there are the software differences. Each carrier includes their own software. Verizon is preloading Bing Maps and Bing Search. T-Mobile is preloading the full length Avatar movie and Sims 3 Collectors Edition.

Super AMOLED is alot better than the AMOLEDs found in those.
Text on an AMOLED won't be as good as an LCD because just simple fact of the matter is that pixels are bigger... That said I've done the math and it *shouldn't* be worse than reading an LCD monitor.

I'd just return it... You're within the 30 day no-questions window.

The issue with pixels isn't because it's AMOLED, its a Samsung problem. They are using PenTile Matrix tech in their displays to save on costs and increase production speed. With other AMOLED displays, text looks the same as it does on a TFT. Text on the EVO looks great, even though it is a 4.3" TFT. It would look better if it was higher resolution, but it still looks better than it does on a 3.7" Samsung AMOLED using PenTile Matrix.

Early reviews are saying that text still looks bad on the Galaxy S, so that is what I'm concerned about. I dislike the way the Nexus One and Incredible screens look compared to the EVO enough that if the Galaxy S looks the same, I'll skip it and wait for something else.

Last edited:
The service you're using still probably only pulls emails down every 15 minutes. It might immediately push them after that but overall it's still a 15 minute delay. No different than Gmail... So I'd second that route.

Actually it is 100% immediate. As soon as I get the message, it will send me a push notification.

All of my e-mails are forwarded to a [email protected] email address. The dopushmail server builds the push notification payload and sends it over Apples servers.

Based on your comments I assume this is not possible?

According the fine print on this page:

30 DAY RETURN POLICY
No early termination fee if cancelled in first 30 days. Thereafter, the fee will begin at $175 per device and decrease by $5 each month for the term of the agreement. Some agents impose additional fees.

I guess only the iPhone had that huge ETF. Still $199 + 175 > $350.

Each has an appearance that is a little different. The Vibrant looks the most like the European Galaxy S. The Epic 4G has a flash and front-facing camera. The Fascinate has a flash, but no front-facing camera. The Vibrant and Captivate are the same, and do not have a flash or front-facing camera. Then there are the software differences. Each carrier includes their own software. Verizon is preloading Bing Maps and Bing Search. T-Mobile is preloading the full length Avatar movie and Sims 3 Collectors Edition.

I wanted flash and possibly a front facing camera, but could do without the keyboard. Plus, it looks like (after a cursory glance) that Sprint's lowest rate is still higher than AT&T's lowest rate. I really don't need unlimited phone or data.

Actually it is 100% immediate. As soon as I get the message, it will send me a push notification.
Yes but YOUR email client probably only pulls on an interval, no???

According the fine print on this page:

I guess only the iPhone had that huge ETF. Still $199 + 175 > $350.

Interesting. Here's their return policy though:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp
Equipment on or after June 1, 2010, the Early Termination Fee will be $325 minus $10 for each full month of your Service Commitment that you complete.

However on THIS page, it looks like there will be either $325 ETFs or $150 ETFs, on this page there is no $175 ETF:
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/early-term-fees.jsp <<<---- Edit... Maybe they haven't updated this for Captivate yet??

So what the ETF will be on this thing? LOL... Take your pick?

Back