ATI Radeon 4800 - Best Budget Upgrade For $?

Cyraxx

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey [H],

Currently running on an Radeon 4800 - I've been itching to upgrade, but $300 is just too damn much at the moment :eek: Can anyone recommend me an a decent upgrade?

On a side note, I'm trying like HELL to avoid ATI - the drivers on this current 4800 alone is a PAIN IN THE ASS.

I had a 4870 and just bought a used 6870 for 80 bucks. The difference is great. I can play BF3 on high/ultra. Pretty much any other game on Ultra.

What's your resolution OP?

nVidia only:
used 560Ti <$140
660 non-Ti: <$180
660 Ti: $200 on sale

What's your resolution OP?

nVidia only:
used 560Ti <$140
660 non-Ti: <$180
660 Ti: $200 on sale

1920 x 1080 on a 24"

I'm willing to go to $200 if the price is right, the question is - is the performance for said 660ti significantly better ? As in, multitudes better, heh?

660 non-ti is crap 660 ti is 300$ and won't be 200$ even on sale.

7850 2gb is 200$ , 7870 droped to 220$ on new eggs.. when u oc it you'll get great performance.
With the 2gb and newer game you should be able to put everything max settings and get 60fps avg
and that would be the main difference between your card and newer ones.

Why is a 660 non ti crap? Enlighten me.
Last I checked it got editors choice here on hardocp.

ok its not crap (was probably thinking of the 650), it performs like a 7850 oc'd and cost bout the same as a 7870.
Whatever, both sides have game specific driver issues or day1 hardware failures.
You can easily see it by surfing this forum.
There's choices and thats all that matters.

amd stopping to support the 4000 series was just stupid cause it still performs like champ.

Last edited:
Hey [H],

Currently running on an Radeon 4800 - I've been itching to upgrade, but $300 is just too damn much at the moment :eek: Can anyone recommend me an a decent upgrade?

On a side note, I'm trying like HELL to avoid ATI - the drivers on this current 4800 alone is a PAIN IN THE ASS.

What were your problems with the drivers? Up until last week when I upgraded, I had no problems whatsoever.

660 non-ti is crap 660 ti is 300$ and won't be 200$ even on sale.

my bad. I keep thinking that's what I'd like the price to be to stimulate more price wars.

nVidia's lineup really has some gaps in my opinion:
650: crap $120
660 non-Ti : $200

660 Ti: $300

You'll get MUCH better bang for your buck by getting a Radeon 7870 (recent sale price of $200). The 7850 2GB has been on sale for $175. 1GB 7850 for $160 after rebate.

It seems as though the 660 non-Ti is even faster than the GTX 570. So, don't even consider buying a GTX 570 used for anything more than $160. Current used prices are about $175-$200, and it's not worth the savings since the sales prices for a 660 non-Ti on sale is around $210.

Last edited:
What were your problems with the drivers? Up until last week when I upgraded, I had no problems whatsoever.

No matter what version of Catalyst - the Control Center is CLEARLY what I have identified that crashes my videocard in approx 30 seconds into running windows. Install without CCC and it works fine.

This was especially annoying, because I had 2 of these cards planning to run them on SLi - except I was never able to thanks to this problem :mad:

if CCC crashes win7, you should reinstall win7.

There is something seriously wrong, and it's not CCC. I've never had CCC crash windows and I've got a dozen friends with radeons.

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that. Are you running W7?

Yes.

if CCC crashes win7, you should reinstall win7.

There is something seriously wrong, and it's not CCC. I've never had CCC crash windows and I've got a dozen friends with radeons.

Tried it. Right out of a fresh format. No go. No bueno. Fresh drivers, old drivers, old drivers off the manuf. website.... all did the same.

I just purchased a GTX 470 for $90 to upgrade from my 4890. If I can get $50 for the ATI card I will be happy for a net $40 upgrade!

Yes.

Tried it. Right out of a fresh format. No go. No bueno. Fresh drivers, old drivers, old drivers off the manuf. website.... all did the same.

How many monitors? My 4850 would crash when it tried to go into low power 2D mode with dual monitors. Had to mod the bios to force it to stay at max clocks all the time.

Back