ATI Pricing Scheduling?

Alai

2[H]4U
When do you guys think the 4870 1GB will drop to around $150 or at least under $175? Would that only happen once Nvidia comes out with more competitive mid-performance cards?

Most likely, unless Nvidia does a huge price war. Though I just don't see them cutting their prices that much.

When do you guys think the 4870 1GB will drop to around $150 or at least under $175? Would that only happen once Nvidia comes out with more competitive mid-performance cards?

What do you mean ? The GTX 260 Core 216 is more than competitive with a HD 4870 1 GB and can be found at the same price or less, as most of the HD 4870s.

Also, a HD 4870 1 GB GDDR5 is not exactly cheap to produce. Reaching that price @ retail, means that they will be selling them at a loss. You may find that sort of deal in the [H]otDeals section though.

You do have a HD 4870 512 MB for $180 (with MIR) shipped at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...chreport&cm_mmc=AFC-Techreport-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

You do have a HD 4870 512 MB for $180 (with MIR) shipped at newegg

What is the cheapest GTX260 available now?

and apart from two models below and two above, most 4870 1GB go between $225 and $250 on newegg. Is that more than what the Core 216 average?

Oh I meant after rebate. Mostly, I am referring to the recent crop of ~$200 4870 1GB After MIR that have showed in the Hot Deals forums.

I haven't seen too many 260 216 go for ~$200 AR recently... except maybe on eBay.

Hmm... Is there a big difference in performance between the 260 65mm and 260 55mm?

Also, a HD 4870 1 GB GDDR5 is not exactly cheap to produce. Reaching that price @ retail, means that they will be selling them at a loss. You may find that sort of deal in the [H]otDeals section though.

Seriosly doubt the selling at a loss part. Remember, HD 4870s 512mb version were originally designed to compete with 9800 GTX thus be priced around the $200 mark. Its already been a couple of months since HD 4870 rolled out, so I'm assuming with higher demand GDDR5 cost gone down.

higher demand = price up

Higher demand ~ more quantities, thus if in manufacturer is in a competitive market they can lower the price of an individual unit but because of higher numbers sold can still make a healthy profit.

The entire GDDR5 means it must be expensive is a large myth. GDDR5 prices have gone down considerably since multiple companies have ramped up production, and since future cards will certainly be GDDR5.

Also, the silicon on the RV770 is mature and yields are certainly higher than launch. They won't be selling them at a loss after half a year in production already

Anyways, to OP, expect price drops within the next month or so if RV740 and RV790 are released

well i went ahead and plunked down for a 4870x2 :)

can't wait to play the 3 new games i've been waiting to play! :D

I finally upgraded from an Asus 4850 512 w/ aftermarket zalman fan to a HIS 4870 1gb. Play Far Cry Warhead is a major difference.

Well...As another poster mentioned....Your $175.00 price is almost there. I bought this HIS 4870 1GB VC from Newegg here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161269

I paid $199.99 AR, plus free shipping. I like this card because it's almost 2" shorter then the reference design & like the heatsink/fan set-up. This HIS card is 9.8" long & is very quiet. Uninstalled my Nvidia (8800GT) drivers & then used Driver Cleaner in Safe Mode, installed ATI's 9.1 & it's running like a champ! Do you really want to wait to save $25.00? Pull the trigger & don't look back!

The only thing that pisses me off is that NG offers a free copy of STALKER & I missed it by two days! Go figure!

What is the cheapest GTX260 available now?

and apart from two models below and two above, most 4870 1GB go between $225 and $250 on newegg. Is that more than what the Core 216 average?

They must be getting more aggressive with the MIR's because I've been checking all this week and I've consistently seen at 'least 3 or 4 of them in the $210-$215 range... The MSI was even down at $185 for like a day or two on Newegg, there was a $220 w/a free copy of Mirror's Edge even.

Edit: Actually, one of the stock HIS cards linked above is at $175 after MIR this very moment, good deal (it's the first one linked, not the 2nd, btw). Free shipping to boot, gotta love Newegg's weekend deals... If the 4850 prices hadn't dropped so much that kinda deal would absolutely cannibalize the 4850s.

Back