ATI Powerplay

Tamlin_WSGF

2[H]4U
Anyone knows how to turn this feature off? I checked in the Vista power management and under ATI Powerplay it doesn't reveal any settings. Nowhere in CCC either. I've noticed that it kicks in and out in games and regulates the frequencies of the GPU up and down. Annoying! I want to run full speed in 3d games and not speed upon demand.

Love the feature in 2D though, since it brings down the noise.

Checked different forums and I know that Sapphire have a bios fix for this, but thats for the 3870 and only for their cards.

What's so bad about the card slowing down to use less power when playing less demanding 3d games? As long as your still getting good frame rates I mean.

And I didn't know it didn't run the card at full speed in 3d games if they didn't need it, but I have to admit that I kinda like that feature.

As for how to turn it off, not a clue. But as long as your getting good frame rates, I don't see it being a problem.

I am pretty sure that powerplay is built into the gpu now starting with 3800 series however it shouldnt be a problem for you. It just spins up the clock and fan when your runing games and back down when your not.

What's so bad about the card slowing down to use less power when playing less demanding 3d games? As long as your still getting good frame rates I mean.

And I didn't know it didn't run the card at full speed in 3d games if they didn't need it, but I have to admit that I kinda like that feature.

As for how to turn it off, not a clue. But as long as your getting good frame rates, I don't see it being a problem.

Because it happens ingame as well. I saw a thread where this was tested as well. Sudden framerate drops because of this feature. Probably thats why Sapphire provided with a bios update to fix this feature. Powerplay is a nice feature and I have nothing against it except the lack of control over it.

I'm not a framerate junkie and like the silence it provides in 2d, but I don't like it changing the corespeed in 3d during gaming.

I am pretty sure that powerplay is built into the gpu now starting with 3800 series however it shouldnt be a problem for you. It just spins up the clock and fan when your runing games and back down when your not.

I've seen people change it via a Sapphire made bios update and also custom made bios they've flashed their 3870 cards with. I have no problem with 2 settings of core speed, 1 for 2d and 1 for 3d, but since it uses several steps within the same game, I want custom control over it. :)

Note that I WANT powerplay, since it makes my machine so wonderful silent during work, its just in my gaming I want to select which speed I prefer myself.

There is a custom BIOS out for the 3870 that disables Powerplay. Otherwise I don't think its at all possible to do.

I know ATI had custom powerplay settings for notebooks. But, if its hardware encoded without any control on driver level, I just have to live with it.

Love the card itself (3870x2) and the performance otherwise. :)

Back