ATI 64-bit Driver benches...you'll be a little suprised..

Am I missing something or has ATI released 64-bit drivers? If the standard Microsoft drivers were used then this is very impressive. An improvement with poor drivers and an incomplete OS would be very good news.

why would any improvments come as a suprise?

none of the software is final.. of course there are going to be major gains ahead.

the beta version of the 64bit os includes the radeon drivers that ATI has given them.

Hmm, considering how shitty the nvidia drivers this is something nice. Especially because the os is in beta and we dont know how final the drivers are

hmm this is interesting. something i never thought about before was the added cost of thinking 32-bit API calls to 64-bit is offset by the benefits of calling to 64-bit code from a 32-bit application.

So not only will a 32-bit application get a nice performance by moving to 64-bit, but even 32-bit apps that stay 32-bit will still get a performance boost because of the 64-bit drivers. Kinda makes sense when you think about it but for some reason this never occured to me!

Originally posted by old skool
hmm this is interesting. something i never thought about before was the added cost of thinking 32-bit API calls to 64-bit is offset by the benefits of calling to 64-bit code from a 32-bit application.

So not only will a 32-bit application get a nice performance by moving to 64-bit, but even 32-bit apps that stay 32-bit will still get a performance boost because of the 64-bit drivers. Kinda makes sense when you think about it but for some reason this never occured to me!

..yuh know ...it never really occurred to me either ...:p

hopefully the hardware guys out there are busy getting some winxp64 bit drivers together for us the little people ...(or me the little person anyways)

Back