ATI 5870 or GTX 470?

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
Trying to get a new vid card for a new video editing PC. Primary role of PC is video editing secondary is gaming.

Have about $400 was thinking about 5870, but was told that GTX 470 might be better for like CS5 coding..etc I know that most of the work will be done by the CPU but GPU also has an effect, that what I was told.

Any input is appreciated

the 5870 is a faster video card overall, not sure about CS5, bit it is better.

Last edited:
Well 3 monitors would have to be supported by 1 vid card and I think only ATI 5XX can do that right?

They both suck for professional workloads, that is why there are FireGL and Quadro cards.

And yes, only the ATI 5xxx can do triple monitors from a single card.

Well, 5870 is faster overall, and has Eyefinity, but the GTX 470 has CUDA and can be had for cheaper, though only 2 monitors are supported for a single card.

In the end, I'd go for the 5870 due to better better noise profile and power usage. Also, 3 monitor is something I use every day, but I don't fold or use CS5 very often.

Do you use Adobe Premiere a lot? I'd presume so then the Gtx470 would be better since there is a hack that allows you to utilize your card as if it's a quadro. Just a quick registry fix and CUDA should help you significantly especially when working with HD content.

If video editing is your primary concern. A Nvidia card with a large number of cuda cores would be more suitable for encoding on CS5.

What about CS3?

No real advantage IIRC with a NVidia card in CS3. CUDA wasn't supported till CS4 IIRC and even then wasn't that much of a game changer. But with CS5, a CUDA enabled card with a lot of VRAM will be major boost as Adobe's MPE feature takes advantage of CUDA enabled cards with sufficient VRAM.

My source:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035787995&postcount=22

So in other words, it really depends on our friend:
- Will he be upgrading to CS5,
- When he's planning on doing so
- When he will be able to afford another GPU upgrade.

You'll see no difference between the 2 cards on CS5. For gaming, obviously the 5870 is a top single-card solution choice.

IMO CUDA is going to have more flexibility with plug-ins for video editing.

I'd recommend the GTX 470.

Back