ATI 5000 Series GPU's and GPU Folding

Roberty

Extremely [H]
Any ideas when they are going to release the GPU3 version of the GPU Folding@home client or whatever it's going to take to get the 5000 series ATI video cards up to speed at GPU folding? I haven't had any luck getting my 5870 to fold (gets an error message that my card and/or drivers aren't compatable) and from what I'm reading even if you get it working it's now getting many PPD.

you have to use a force command to get it to pick up, cant recall what it is, but with the -* command in a shirtcut it will fold

Add the -forcegpu ati_r700 flag to the end of the target box of the shortcut you use to launch the GPU client. If you are using the tray client, you may need to make a new shortcut to the client executable which is located in the C:\Users\*your username*\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu\ folder. That will get your card folding.

last I heard GPU3 for ATI was nowhere even near completion

the upcoming GPU3 is based on CUDA, not OpenCL, from what I understand. OpenCL is supposedly the key to ATI getting back in the PPD game

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on GPU3. If the past is any guide I believe it will be mid to late summer for a new client at the earliest.

last I heard GPU3 for ATI was nowhere even near completion

the upcoming GPU3 is based on CUDA, not OpenCL, from what I understand. OpenCL is supposedly the key to ATI getting back in the PPD game
"GPU 2.5" is what people are calling the upcoming OpenMM core that will run on CUDA. Once ATI and nVidia have proper support for OpenCL in their drivers, the OpenMM core will then be fully ported to OpenCL, and that will be the "true" GPU3.

Back