ATI 4670 w/fanless cooling... what idle temps are good?

rider43

n00b
I have an HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready iSilence 4 Video Card with a fanless cooling solution. I have it because I don't game but run dual monitors and don't like the noise video card fans produce. So far I love it!

My system consists of a Lian Li v1000 or 1100 plus case (cant remember) with 2 800 rpm intake fans(1 down by the hard drives and 1 up below the DVD drive) and 1 1200 rpm exhaust. My e8500 3.16Ghz Core 2 Duo sits at 27 Celcius on idle (and never goes higher than 36) and my MB sits at around 35 Celcius on idle (and maxes at about 40). No complaints there! My system is quite cool and virtually silent... :D

I was looking through the Catalyst Control Panel and noticed in the ATI Overdrive section that my video card sits at 68-70 Celcius all the time.

My question is, is that good or high for idle on the video card? (keep in mind this card has no fan, just a big heatsink--which is honestly perilously close to the RAM but thats due to MB layout and the big heatsink. It doesn't touch though...) The temp gauge shows this to be right in the middle of yellow and not really approaching the red but I was just curious if I should be trying to keep it cooler than that at idle? Thoughts anyone?

Cheers:)

It's high, but still within the safe range. You bought a fanless card so you have to expect temps like that.

Yah, that's kinda what I figured. I'm cool with it as long as its not too too high... I don't expect to tax it too much... Running at temps like that whenever the computer is on, do you think I'll have any durability issues?

Not really, I believe the at hd4x series has a temp limit of the upper 90's, I would reconmend getting a little more case airflow if you could though if it idles at that level...

I would stress it with a few runs of 3d mark to see what the temp is like

Well that was kind of depressing... I downloaded the free version of 3D Mark 06 and ran the test. I scored just over 7000. Like I said I don’t game so if those scores are low for gaming, the scores don’t really bug me too much but I had ATI CCC open on my second monitor and my video card was up around 95 to 97 Celcius for pretty much the whole test. Even up to 101 briefly…

In addition to my HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready iSilence 4 Video Card,

My system consists of:
ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

So two questions:

1) For my components, is a 3D Mark 06 score of ~7000 low? (everything is set at stock settings)
2) Considering my video card is fanless, are those temps an indication of a problem or just what I should expect? My CPU and MB still never went over 40 Celcius for the duration of the test…

All my components are new as this is a new build so everything is under warranty from Newegg… Should I return the card?

The 3d mark score is perfectly fine, you are not running an overclock on the processor.

If possible, you might want to see if there is a way you can have an input fan blowing air towards the video card.

those temps are in the very high area of the safe end though.

Back