Athlon 64 system build: advice redux?

busta_cap

Limp Gawd
Last Sunday I posted a proposed Athlon XP system spec and asked for advice and comments from the assembled [H]ardware [h]igh priests (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=794249). The advice I got convinced me that an Athlon 64 system was the way to go. So I decided to add a little more to the machine budget and search for better pricing on some components.

So if you would, please, how about some comments/advice on a system with the following specs and pricing:

• MB - Abit - KV8 PRO VIA K8T800 Pro/VT8237 chipset DDR Video
    Gigabit-LAN 5 PCI 1AGP 8X/4X Audio ATX - $101.00
  • CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3000 - Socket 754 Processor - $158.89
  • RAM - Kingston Technology - PC3200 DDR 1GB Kit 400MHz Memory
    Part - 80098-22 KVR400X64C3AK2/1G - $156.00
  • CASE - Thermaltake VA3000 Dream Tower Black Tsunami Case w/400W PSU & X
    type side panel window - $140.00

Video (three choices)

• PNY Vertro GeForce 6800 128MB 256-bit DDR AGP8X TV & DVI-Out
    (Retail) Bundle Games CD w/DVI to CRT Dongle - $274
  • LEADTEK/WINFAST A400 TDH STD GEFORCE 6800 128MB DDR AGP8X w/
    CRT TVO & DVI - $274
  • XFX GEFORCE 6800 128MB DDR 256-bit AGP8X W/ DUAL DVI & TV-OUT
    RETAIL BOX PN: PVT40KND - $277

Already have:

• HD - Maxtor 250 gb, 7200 rpm, 8mb cache, ATA/133 - 119.00
  • OPTICAL - Memorex 8x DVD+/-RW - $99.00
  • Logitech Cordless MX Duo USB/ PS/2 104keys, optical mouse - $69.00
  • Logitech Wingman Cordless - (1 yr old, don't remember price)

So how does this system stack up in terms of exceptional performance and stability and overclockability (later; no reason to do so now)? Also, of the three video cards listed, which one would be the best choice? The prices I was found were the best I could get (pricewatch.com, newegg & zipzoomfly were my three sources); is there a better source that I don't know about?

Thanx in advance for your help!

b_c

Why no NF3 250 MB? The Chaintech VNF3-250 (OOS right now at newegg) is supposed to be good, and at $75, it could free up some budget for better video card action. Is gigabit that big a deal?

I'd also be leery of a case with an included PS.

Get a case w/ no PS and invest in a good PS like a Sparkle Power 530W Power Supply, MODEL "FSP530-60GNA" -OEM or the identical model under the Fortron brand. The FSP530 is highly reccomended by the Power Supply forum.

I say take the Leadtek 6800. It's got a copper heatsink that's better than the PNY and XFX reference cooler while being quieter. It also comes with Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and Prince of Persia.

I'll also ask why not get an nF3 250GB mobo, but with the Chaintech being $26 less, I don't know how much of a better video card he'll get with that money saved. :p If you don't need the features of the nF3 250GB, you've picked out the best alternative.

GodsMadClown said:
Why no NF3 250 MB? The Chaintech VNF3-250 (OOS right now at newegg) is supposed to be good, and at $75, it could free up some budget for better video card action. Is gigabit that big a deal?

Gigabit lan isn't really even a consideration. I am a long-time Abit supporter, having bought my last four motherboards from them and never having a single mainboard-related problem in all that time. People have told me that Chaintech products are pretty good, but when it comes to the m-board of a computer I plan to keep for three+ years, I place my trust in the "big names" like Abit and Asus, unless there is a really compelling reason not to.

That said, is the NF3 250 MB chipset very much better than the VIA K8T800 Pro/VT8237? And if so, what makes it that much better?

GodsMadClown said:
I'd also be leery of a case with an included PS. Get a case w/ no PS and invest in a good PS like a Sparkle Power 530W Power Supply, MODEL "FSP530-60GNA" -OEM or the identical model under the Fortron brand. The FSP530 is highly reccomended by the Power Supply forum.

I can certainly see the advantages of having one of the beefier PSUs. Perhaps one of those would be a good investment.

Thanx

Actually the nf3 250 is not all that much better ithen via chipset. Infact VIA chipset performs better. Go for fortron PSU the sparkle sucks ass I had one.

busta_cap said:
That said, is the NF3 250 MB chipset very much better than the VIA K8T800 Pro/VT8237? And if so, what makes it that much better?
Thanx

The features: On-chip SATA and and Gigabit LAN that do not use the PCI bus and the firewall. They perform almost exactly the same, if one outperforms the other you won't be noticing it.

Alright, alright! I'm willing to give the Chaintech board a try (at only $80 shipped, it's a pretty low risk).

What about the other iteams I've decided on (I'm getting the Leadtek 6800); are they good for the system I'm trying to build (gaming/general applications/Photoshop)?

busta_cap said:
Alright, alright! I'm willing to give the Chaintech board a try (at only $80 shipped, it's a pretty low risk).

What about the other iteams I've decided on (I'm getting the Leadtek 6800); are they good for the system I'm trying to build (gaming/general applications/Photoshop)?

I just got the Chaintech.. and it's amazing. If you're getting the VNF3-250, use bios 0729. These are betas. However, if you notice that your HDD LED doesn't work after the flash, just simply reverse the connector and they'll work again.

Back