at what point is it nessessary to bump voltage and oc ram?

Dome

2[H]4U
i was just wondering as to the benefits of bumping voltage and ram. bear in mind this is just my ignorance, not a sort of "overclocking is stupid" thread

anyhow i hope to buy a barton2500 cooled w/ air. assuming a wonderful chip which overclocks easily, at what speeds would it be nessessary to do things besides change fsb (assuming locked chip) and what would happen if i didn't?

The higher the speed, the more voltage that the component will need.

so at what point does the stock voltage not satisfy the power requirement?

i understand there's probably not a set number, but a rough estimate would be nice, like "for 2.2, this voltage; for 2.4, this voltage" etc.

i know squat about bumping voltage, so in a couple of weeks when i get my computer (hopefully) expect a long post asking to be lead by hand through the stepping, adjusting of all the voltages and speeds and stuff ;)

Depends entirely on the memory you got. Generic cl2.5 will more need more than cl2 of the same speed. Easiest way to tell is to downloaded memtest keep increasing the memory speed whilst keeping your cpu within spec, or at a speed you know to be stable.

After each speed increment, run memtest, aim for two passes. Return to bios and bump it up another 5MHz. Repeat process until you observe errors in memtest. Begin overvolting, at the lowest increment, run memtest again.

Back