AT&T has given me one more reason to drop them

michaelkahl

Limp Gawd
Today, as I was told this evening, that AT&T is doing maintenance in our area. I've been in the city all day and have only been able to call 2 numbers, my wifes Verizon cell and my works landline. Any other number I dial gives me the "your call can't be completed at this time message"
What does AT&T offer? $2.00 courtesy compensation and a rude rep. So I call back later and speak with a supervisor, she gets me an additional $25.00 for the rude rep. Unfortunately I still can't call out and I'm simply told that AT&T is working on it.
I'm about ready to join my wife back on Verizon and use my generic HTC Verizon smartphone while I wait for a good Verizon handset.

I imagine that they are doing maintenance to prepare for the MMS rollout, but they are messing things up. I just wish verizon had a decent handset.

If T-Mobile wasn't so damn slow with their 3G rollout, I'd still be with them since I'm more or less getting bored of my iPhone. The speed boost is just too drastic for me to go back to them though so I'm "stuck" with AT&T for the time being. I haven't had too many problems with them really but I wouldn't have any problems leaving them either.

I can't say or comment beyond local. The reps told me that maintenance was going on in our area.
I know that many of my friends were having the same issue, facebook friends reported the same issue I experienced.

I imagine that they are doing maintenance to prepare for the MMS rollout, but they are messing things up. I just wish verizon had a decent handset.

They do and one of the awsome phones is the HTC Pro2

Let me re-phrase. I wish Verizon had a handset that I liked. Touch Pro 2 looks to be as good as it gets and I'm not a WinMo fan. I have av older 6.1 phone and never liked it. I'm look a good android phone and the Hero looks good, or I can hold out for an AMOLED android phone.
Edit: I'd consider the Pre or another WebOS phone on Verizon. I know the Hero will be on Sprint, I like their pricing a lot.

Let me re-phrase. I wish Verizon had a handset that I liked. Touch Pro 2 looks to be as good as it gets and I'm not a WinMo fan. I have av older 6.1 phone and never liked it. I'm look a good android phone and the Hero looks good, or I can hold out for an AMOLED android phone.
Edit: I'd consider the Pre or another WebOS phone on Verizon. I know the Hero will be on Sprint, I like their pricing a lot.

Well, let's put it this way.

I've been on Android, I'm now on a Pre.

Android : Widgets own, market's really getting there, Browser sucks. Google Integration, really great.

WebOS : UI is slick, multitasks well, not much of a market presence yet.

It really comes down to if you want the market or not, and how important that is to have right now. The Pre is a nice piece of gear. I like it. Right now, I'd have to give it the edge over most of the Android handsets.

However, it's really a matter of taste. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I saw the Hero on pre-order and went for it today. I didn't sign a contract and have buyers willing to take my iPhone which will cover the cost of ETF, Hero, and possibly activation on Sprint.
I demoed a Pre this summer and was less than thrilled personally. I loved WebOS, but didn't like the keyboard at all. I love Sprint pricing and how sensible they are on plans. I'll probably still consider Verizon, but honestly don't think I'll see and handset that I'd enjoy using or feel good paying for.
I'm not saying the Pre isn't a good phone, it's just hard for me to turn from the iPhone to it. Android will be very different and I understand that. I've played around with G1's and don't mind it to much. I like the widget functionality as well as the overall look of the phone. I like the virtual keyboard personally, I've used a WinMo phone with full QWERTY keyboard and definitely prefer the virtual.
I'm not committed one way or another, but I'm leaning towards the Hero. The Sense UI looks amazing and the Apps I'm looking for are available on Android. I will miss my Army of Darkness soundboard.

Bah, I had a Touch Pro 2, its a dog. I can't believe people are still using Win Mo
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The Touch Pro 2 came out 6 days ago I believe, was it so horrible you returned it after such a short term?

Windows Mobile has a lot of advantages.

I will agree Microsoft needs to hurry up and rewrite it for modern phones.
But most handset makers do a good job of optimizing it for the phone.

The TP2 is much faster than my TP and all they did was tweak the software.
I would buy one if I was not waiting on the Leo.

------

Being down for maintenance is not always a bad thing. But breaking the network to do a few upgrades seems drastic...

A little bird shared some news with me today, apparently the outage was due to a fiber line that was cut. I'm not sure how true this is or isn't, but it's interesting none the less.

Today, as I was told this evening, that AT&T is doing maintenance in our area. I've been in the city all day and have only been able to call 2 numbers, my wifes Verizon cell and my works landline. Any other number I dial gives me the "your call can't be completed at this time message"
What does AT&T offer? $2.00 courtesy compensation and a rude rep. So I call back later and speak with a supervisor, she gets me an additional $25.00 for the rude rep. Unfortunately I still can't call out and I'm simply told that AT&T is working on it.
I'm about ready to join my wife back on Verizon and use my generic HTC Verizon smartphone while I wait for a good Verizon handset.

I live on the border with Ontario, my phone gets stuck on Rogers so I can't make calls unless I want to spend 1 billion dollars in overages/roaming. When AT&T dies I get some great Rogers service (it has completely went out for 2 whole days in about a year)

So far this week AT&T has dropped about 5 of my calls. In the last 3 years I don't ever remember this happening. Not sure what the deal is but I'm eying the Hero in Oct and these drops are not helping AT&T's case.

I've had At&t/Cingular for a decade now. I can honestly say I've never had any real problems with them.

I'm glad that you've never had an issue with them. I certainly don't wish that upon anyone, but I know what my experience is with AT&T and it hasn't been super. I'm ready to go elsewhere and Sprint's pricing is attractive. My wife is refusing to leave Verizon....I can't see paying over $200 a month with Verizon versus $130 a month from Sprint.
I need to translate the savings into Diapers or something(we're about to have our first).

When cingular changed to at&t they did this wierd thing to our first 3 bills where none of the minutes we used were deducted from our 1400 minutes and all minutes used went straight to counting as overage minutes. They sent us ridiculous bills of like $400-700. Additionally, our bills said we had 1400 rollover minutes added despite the huge overages, proving their system was flawed. In the end I was able to get the problem fixed by calling them and ended up with several credits, got to keep all the rollover minutes and then some, and ended up lowering my plan to a 550 minute plan for like a year (keeping the several thousand minutes I had from their screw up). But it took me a lot of time to get it fixed and was still a pain in the ass.

I am convinced that all telecom companies are evil and will take advantage of you if they can. Regardless, Sprint has hero.

The Hero will be a nice phone. I'm definitely more about using widgets than thumbing through a ton of icons.

I tried calling repeatedly, I was able to finally get through (on the day with the service interruptions) maybe it was just luck or timing, or both.

Doesn't it get old paying $100's a month for something that doesn't work...

I have had my problems with ATT. Sometimes I can't tell if it is phone related or service related. For me, there are so many dead zones around town and I have gotten to know them very well. I would switch, however, I just do not see the grass being greener with one of the other companies.

I use my phone for work and I am in sales, so for my phone not to work, costs me money.

"paying $100's a month"? For what?

According to AT&T 900 minutes, iPhone data, & text messaging (SMS and failing MMS).

I'm coming to believe that I pay a monthly fee for an iPod Touch with microphone because I keep getting knocked off 3G in my area, fight with customer service reps over outages, and have to resend half of my MMS messages.

I'm keeping my ears open to see what Verizon has on the horizon, apparently some HTC Android / Motorola Android goodness. I do have the Sprint Hero on pre-order, but if VZW gets a great Android phone I may go with them as much as I loathe their pricing.

I think Android has a much better concept behind it than the iPhone OS. Besides like I said, the poor AT&T service is a real pain.

Back