AT&T Customers Try to Block Merger with T-Mobile

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The merger between AT&T and T-Mobile is far from a done deal at this point and groups are beginning to come forth trying to block the merger. One such suit alleges the merger will violate the Clayton Antitrust Act dealing with competition in the wireless market. The law firm is requesting arbitration on the deal on their client’s behalf since AT&T customers cannot bring class action suits against the company.

AT&T said earlier this week during its earnings call that it is confident it will get the approval for the merger. And the company said it expects the deal to close in the first quarter of next year.

Gotta love those arbitration agreements. They basically mean ATT can never be sued in a class action by it's own customers. They have to sue individually or not at all.

whats soo bad about att? have never been with them but ive heard lots of bad things.

Gotta love those arbitration agreements. They basically mean ATT can never be sued in a class action by it's own customers. They have to sue individually or not at all.

Don't forget that the arbitrators are paid by the company and rule in the favor of the company paying them over 90% of the time.

I honestly don't see what all the !#$@#$ing and whining and moaning about the merger is. There' still two other carriers available, a total of 3, which is more companies than you can choose from for home internet and tv in some areas.

Anything to stop the merger is good, in my book but then again I'm with T-mobile.

whats soo bad about att? have never been with them but ive heard lots of bad things.

No idea. Been with them for four years and never had an issue, ever. I for one hope this deal goes through. I'd love for AT&T to get bigger.

No idea. Been with them for four years and never had an issue, ever. I for one hope this deal goes through. I'd love for AT&T to get bigger.

Really so what little drug are you on. :confused: I will take that as a sarcasm. The fact that AT&T charges outlandish fees and they are not customer service oriented. I have been trying to stop an email from another AT&T account coming into my personal email telling me to pay the bill of someone else. I called AT&T and they tell me just change my email address REALLY REALLY!!!!! what the hell.

Not to mention ATT does really shady operations. For example, bury their lines and run them through the sewer lines on your own property, causing a lot of damages and refusing to pay for more than half of the damage that THEY caused. That is of course unless you wanted to bring them to court, in which case it would cost even more.

I believe T-Mobile in Germany wanted to get rid of their U.S operations anyways. Someone would have to buy T-Mobile USA if ATT cannot.

Really so what little drug are you on. :confused: I will take that as a sarcasm. The fact that AT&T charges outlandish fees and they are not customer service oriented. I have been trying to stop an email from another AT&T account coming into my personal email telling me to pay the bill of someone else. I called AT&T and they tell me just change my email address REALLY REALLY!!!!! what the hell.

Nope. No sarcasam. Not sure what outlandish fees you're talking about. Their prices are nearly identical to Verizon. If you're talking about 'hidden' fees, never got charged any. I check my bill every month, and never been surprised by any charges ever.

I'm with AT&T on this one, seems kind of silly you don't have multiple e-mail accounts, and why you'd give a business your personal e-mail. That's just silly.

I believe T-Mobile in Germany wanted to get rid of their U.S operations anyways. Someone would have to buy T-Mobile USA if ATT cannot.
Its not like they wanted to get out of the US, but if you did some research, my guess is that the paranoia of the US is such that they so not want to have any foreigners in control of any telecommunications. The last thing the US wants is to have to explain to a German company from the EU that they have to allow monitoring of all their customers cell phones, you know, the bull about the terrorist threats. With all the foreigners gone, the telecommunications industry will fall under Homeland Security.

Been with T-Mo for far too long, worked there as an intern. Do not want ATT on our towers lol, but should hopefully add some certainty for the company after all the initial cuts and restructuring goes on.

AT&T stands for American Telephone and Telegraph. as far as i know we dont have telegraph any more. right???

If AT&T has a spare $35B laying around...why not upgrade their infrastructure with it? Instead they just buy up the competition.

If AT&T has a spare $35B laying around...why not upgrade their infrastructure with it? Instead they just buy up the competition.

Because $35billion to build up their own infrastructure takes a very long time. Every single tower built requires 2 or more permits, all of which cannot be issued on the same day.

$35B is like Sim City for AT&T, they click buy and they have insta infrastructure in critical markets and have increased bandwidth all at the same time (more frequencies available to them)

As a AT&T customer in Tampa, FL, I have very few problems with AT&T service or billing. They're customer service is no worse than Sprint or Verizon. T-mobiles outstanding customer service is trumped by the stupidity of the people they hire for following (please call from another phone rule) for any technical support issue.

Now, 3rd party vendors for any of the big 4 companies are and always have been scammers. (Walmart included).

I will not do business with at&t if and when this goes thru ill be done with t-mobile/at&t. if this goes thru it sucks ive been happy for 7+ years with t-mobile

I been a happy ATT customer for 3+ years now.

Never had a problem with their customer service and their price can't be beat from any other carrier I've seen.

They might have signal issues in some areas but around where I live I've always had really good 3G coverage so I don't really have anything to complain about.

If buying T-mobile allows me to roam on their towers since ATT and t-mobile use compatible voice technologies then I'm all for them buying.

That's my opinion at least.

Never had a problem with their customer service and their price can't be beat from any other carrier I've seen.

They might have signal issues in some areas but around where I live I've always had really good 3G coverage so I don't really have anything to complain about.

If buying T-mobile allows me to roam on their towers since ATT and t-mobile use compatible voice technologies then I'm all for them buying.

My opinion too. My only complaint about ATT has been a lack of android phones (which they're fixing) spotty coverage (which acquiring t-mobile would fix) and no LTE (which, again, they're working on, and acquiring T-Mobile would boost their HSPA+ in the meantime)

I've used AT&T for over 11 years now, before they were bought by cingular and all that. I don't have any issues with them. I went from a old cheap phone plan (2 phones for 50 bucks a month) to two windows mobile 7 phones and my wife and I are very happy with our Samsung Focus.

Now, the fools who bought iMAC phones, well, that's their problem.

Such a BS situation. That should not be allowed in any contract. It's essentially saying "Hey, we're likely to piss you off and in the event we do, or we decide to not hold up our end .. you have to sit in a meeting with our biased arbitrator for his ruling".

Just another thing that we need to overhaul.

I've been with Tmo for the last five years now and I'm DREADING this buy out. I need to upgrade two phones on my line but I can't because there's no way in Hell I'm going back to ATT. I hope this buy out fails.

Nope. No sarcasam. Not sure what outlandish fees you're talking about. Their prices are nearly identical to Verizon.

The problem with comparing AT&T to Verizon is that both are practically monopolies (oligopoly) with 0 reason to worry about service TODAY. Tomorrow when they will control 80+% of the market, some interesting economics historically happen. Most of these "other" telecoms are simply resellers. You can be happy with whomever, so long as we can have some fair market competition to keep things reasonable.

Ever look at the LTE load technology? It is actually MUCH cheaper to implement yet we now have a caps/limits and higher prices. The United States is a third world country when it comes to the cell industry. If this merger happens there will be even LESS reason implement better technology.

I am far to cynical about politics to think the powers that be wont have this merger go through. So while little rant is pointless, I just wanted everyone to know why prices will skyrocket while ISP overhead continually gets cheaper.

Fees/Mandatory Arbitration are another /rant

I feel pity for our brothers in the south... welcome to the age of the triopoly that we here in canada have already been experiencing for years... begin to weep as they make deals with each other, and the price of your plans goes up and up (Heck i'm on a student plan... 1GB data, 200 minutes, 6pm - 8am free ... and that's $65 a month, and the handset a samsung galaxy i9000 was $199 down, 3 year contract).

I've personally been an AT&T customer for 6 years now and have never had a single issue. I hope this goes through and allows me to have greater signal and more choices when buying a phone now that I would be able to use the AWS spectrum.

I honestly don't see what all the !#$@#$ing and whining and moaning about the merger is. There' still two other carriers available, a total of 3, which is more companies than you can choose from for home internet and tv in some areas.

4 to 3, less choice ALWAYS means the consumer will lose in the end, hell look at your own example, our internet is already getting fucked by having no choices

What...

It costs me $51 a month (total even after taxes) for my iPhone 4 with the unlimited 3G data plan and unlimited texting and 300 minutes per month with 1000 nights and weekends and unlimited mobile-to-mobile and rollover.

I can't see how to get that good of a plan form the other carriers.

Back