Asus??

dss2010

n00b
I have never heard of Asus...how long has this company been in business and are there products any good??

For LCDs? They source their parts from middle of the range to slightly better panels (AUO, LG, Samsung). Nothing pro level, though (IPS, PVA?)

For laptops? They make their own. Can go from okay to decent. Nothing that's crap, though.

For desktops? Not worth the price. Also very rare.

For motherboards? They make their own. Can go from midrange (priced a bit high) to extreme (and... priced appropriately). Very good quality.

For GPU? They source from AMD and nVidia. They do decent aftermarket models that at least match the reference models in quality.

A majority of ASUS' work is for OEM builds. Then they have crazy offshoots like ASRock for budget&strange functionality, and engineering teams to create the rest of the stuff we see. One of the big Taiwanese companies that supply the world with assembled (in a manuf. sense, not in a "I put together a computer" sense) computer components (mobos, GPU cards, etc).

For history? They got their big break all the way back in the 80s/90s when Intel was failing at creating a reference 486 board, and ASUS managed to pull it off. Impressed Intel enough to get them off the ground.

great input....is their any kind of rating system that rates all the brands as a whole. I have never heard of a brand like Hannspree?

Hannspree is new to the USA market.

What are you looking for, specifically? Monitors? Motherboards?

Costco was selling a Hanspree netbook for under $300 and Best Buy was selling a netbook for over $300, the Hanspree had a 2 yr warranty that came with it, the specs were fairly equal. Don't know if I can trust Hanspree.

Ah, was it the model with a Pentium Dual core in it? Hannspree seems to be reliable, though you could always go with ASUS, Acer, & HP (some of the bigger netbooks makers).

ASUS is a pretty good brand, the only issue that I have with them is that most people don't pronounce the name right.

Asus are one of my favourite brands, never had any problems with any of their products. They're good quality and driver support is brilliant, price is average also.

I pronounce it Ace-us, there's not really a wrong or right way to pronounce. Hell, Americans struggle to "pronounce" words 'properly' anyway.

Asus is a good brand. I bought a netbook from them and nothing has gone wrong yet. Except very rarely my power adapter dosent always charge my netbook. I need to put in more ram to make it better.

I have always said AY-Soo-S... which rhymes with Doctor Seus. AY-Soos sounds right.

They have been big in the motherboard industry for YEARS.... I busted an old asus board like 6 years ago and they sent me a new one in return.

Now they are going mainstream (best buy, office max, etc) with laptops and such that they didn't used to make before. Now they have badass monitors, laptops, and gadgets.... and they STILL make awesome motherboards.

Highly recommended.... yes, for sure.

Though they have been getting popular and "mainstream" like I said..... this means lots more idiots will be sending stuff into them and hence, lower their customer service quality by a lot...... You know the idiots though, usually Best Buy shoppers who think something is broken and such, then waste Asus' time with sending in something they bought, but couldn't operate right.

ASUS is a great company. Although they kinda are "under the radar," they make great products which they stand behind. Their notebooks rated among the top--above Dell, HP, Toshiba, and Sony--for fewest service repairs per consumer reports

I've had plenty of asus products. all have extremely well made and reliable.

I had an Asus Laptop from 2000, Model LS8400. Using it for ~7 years, about 6hours+ a day. Never die on me, until one day I spill water on the keyboard.... :(

I still buy Asus laptop. They have much better quality than Acer.

I have never heard of Asus...how long has this company been in business and are there products any good??

Well they have been around since 1990.
considering that they make parts for such companies as Apple,Dell,Falcon, and HP. Id say they are a pretty good company most of my builds have had an Asus board. Cant go wrong with them.

and you are implying a lack of quality based on a supposed lack of solid data ;)
Don't get me wrong I'm a huge ASUS fan, I believe their quality is top notch. That being said, people make these massive quality assessments based on nothing but their perceived quality impressions and they're own anecdotal experiences to make a qualifying statement of ASUS. Finding actual data based on warranty returns and consumer satisfaction would be the only way to make a non-bullshit statement.

Last edited:
you do know your at a forum site. if asus had crappy products you think kyle here at ocp would of mentioned it by now? not even figuring in how many people on this forum buy asus products and you dont see alot of complaints on these forums about asus. how is that for data? lol :D

What Type of Question is that all about lol!

This kind.

troll.jpg

Asus has been around for quite awhile...

I can vouch for their motherboards, always have used Asus intel motherboards without issue.

Chances are you've used a system with an Asus mainboard or component in it. almost 30% of the systems sold last year had a Asus board in it, and they were by far the biggest manufacture until they spun off Pegatron earlier this year. They still are the biggest out of the big Taiwanese 4 (Asus, ECS, Gigabyte, MSI)

And the last word on how to say it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6F0FZtQiw

Back