Asus VN279Q Review by PRAD

That's sad - especially when in 2007-2008 we had 24" 1200p MVA/PVA panels with perfect backlight so the technology is actually regressing due to cost cutting :(

Not really i have a BenQ GW2450HM from last year and i have not backlight bleed. I was always little bit sceptical about the Asus because it had 800:1 less contrats in the prad.de rewive then the BenQ and the Samsung.
But somehow i have the feeling that TV's have a better quality then Monitors. I'm curious to see what 'kossair' thinks about the Samsung 32F5000.

Last edited:
@Michaelius Thanks for your suggestion on the W6 from Sony. I actually went to check both the Sammy and the Sony totally stole the attention. I've read the whole thread on a fairly known forum (no idea if I can mention the name, lol) and I'm definitely going to buy it later this week.

@Lebowski I can totally see why you'd want to sell the Asus. Your pictures do a great job in showing the lighting, of which I also wasn't a fan. Besides, if Iooked from the side (at extreme viewing angle) I could clearly see an orange~ish colored led on both the bottom left and right side of the panel. Their strong lights fades when viewed straight on, but it still bugged me a lot. Can you confirm that? (It's actually rather curious that no reviews reported that...)

I'd give the Benq a try. The model I just sent back had absolutely zero backlight bleeding, I couldn't believe my eyes. Too bad for the defective pixels, otherwise it's very pretty and you'd probably be satisfied with it.

Last edited:
kosair you can post the link, posting infos is not against the rules. ;)

Last edited:
After reading this forum im closer to choice between Samsung and Benq.
Like previously somebody said Samsung havnt got vesa but is a bit more faster(response).
From the other side Benq have better gamma and is an lot chaper .
I m only worried about response from Benq and just wonder how it look in naked eye test.
I m wonder if any of us would see a difference between Samsung and Benq in response time.I m casual player,like RPG game like Skyrim and The Witcher ,also play in Sleeping Dogs,Max Payne etc.My current scren Dell 2209wa have 6ms response and I never
complain about response.I m intrested if above two AMVA panels will be simmilar to my dell in response.

Can anyone who have Benq write here subjective comment about playing on this screen.Especially about ghosting and trailing .I seen few reviews and tests but humans eye
is the best test for me and if on everyday casual playing is hard to see any annoying
ghosting and trailing i can try wiith Benq.(if response against samsung is hardly vissible).

Can promisse that after purchase i will post my short personal review here to help people who looking va screen like me.

Can anyone who have Benq write here subjective comment about playing on this screen.Especially about ghosting and trailing .I seen few reviews and tests but humans eye
is the best test for me and if on everyday casual playing is hard to see any annoying
ghosting and trailing i can try wiith Benq.(if response against samsung is hardly vissible).

Reviewers are human too you know. :confused: Think I know what you're getting at. Try this review for a proper subjective look at the ghosting. Problem is everyone's eyes are different. Gotta see for yourself.

Reviewers are human too you know. :confused: Think I know what you're getting at. Try this review for a proper subjective look at the ghosting. Problem is everyone's eyes are different. Gotta see for yourself.

Seen this review,they also did great review of samsung but I m curious what users though
about playing on Benq.IMO testers are much more sensitive than casual users but like you said this is very individual to everyone.Probably next week I will try with Benq ,if dont like I can still return.Its shame that such a good screen like S27C750P havent got VESA...:mad:

@Dawid There's not much difference between the Benq and Samsung. You can't go wrong with either one, although the Samsung is unjustifiably more expensive than the Benq. I have owned both and I can assure you that the picture quality is exactly the same on both monitors.

@Outbreaker It's the "W6 Owners Thread" on the AVForums.

@Dawid There's not much difference between the Benq and Samsung. You can't go wrong with either one, although the Samsung is unjustifiably more expensive than the Benq. I have owned both and I can assure you that the picture quality is exactly the same on both monitors.

Thanks for advice Kossair, I would expect simmilar picture quality but what about response?
Have you done some gaming on both? Can you please post your opinion about ghosting, trailing experience benq vs samsung.

I've played a bit on both and couldn't notice any real difference. I mean, they both mount the same panel and the input lag is similar and so is the response time. Maybe the Samsung on the "fastest" setting does streak a lil' more than the Benq on "high", but it's almost impossible to notice in actual use.
Again, you can't go wrong with either.

@Lebowski I can totally see why you'd want to sell the Asus. Your pictures do a great job in showing the lighting, of which I also wasn't a fan. Besides, if Iooked from the side (at extreme viewing angle) I could clearly see an orange~ish colored led on both the bottom left and right side of the panel. Their strong lights fades when viewed straight on, but it still bugged me a lot. Can you confirm that? (It's actually rather curious that no reviews reported that...)

I just checked, and yes, that orange light in the bottom corners is definitely there.

I've played a bit on both and couldn't notice any real difference. I mean, they both mount the same panel and the input lag is similar and so is the response time. Maybe the Samsung on the "fastest" setting does streak a lil' more than the Benq on "high", but it's almost impossible to notice in actual use.
Again, you can't go wrong with either.

Thank You Kossair.I will try with Benq.

I saw you are talking about the three new monitors with the same AUO M270HVN020 panel. I have the BenQ GW2760HS since three months now, and i wanted to tell you about it, because some people want to try it instead of the ASUS. Me on the other hand, i will try the ASUS soon, and i think it will be better overall.

But about the BenQ. The panel obviously is quite nice. I would prefer it over an IPS panel any day (one word: IPS glow). Only a few IPS-panel monitors have no IPS glow, like some Eizo models. No noise coming from the screen.

It has extremely low input lag, so far so good. The Overdrive (BenQ calls it AMA) has three settings, off, high, and premium. On high, it behaves very carefully to prevent any overshoot. However, it's also not as fast as it could be. On premium however, it's much too agressive and unusable. Ideally they should have found a setting between high and premium, now you have to settle for high. I prefer it more the ASUS way, where you have better control over it.

Also, the color is not all that good. I had trouble getting good colors. Granted, i compared it against my previous wide gamut TFT, but the reds are problematic, it has a bit of a green tint on skin colors. Prepare for a bit of time to get it right, and even then it's not fully satisfactory.

Lastly, the feeble stand and the glossy surface is a big no-no. The stand doesn't rotate or allow anything other than a bit of tilting. Talk about cheap. The glossy piano finish is horrible. It attracts dust and scratches. I wiped it with a wet cloth and saw scratches immediately! Also, the base reflects the lamp that's behind the screen, i had to cover the base with something.

My settings for the BenQ GW2760HS: DVI, mode "User", brightness 12, sharpness 4 (because 5 over-sharpens), Gamma 2, R99, G95, B95, Saturation 53.

I now ordered the ASUS (because i have a buyer for the BenQ) and i think it might be better, especially concerning the colors.

The Asus's best color preset should be very similar to the BenQ's. I think your issue lies with being used to a wide gamut monitor which will have inaccurate and over-saturated colors. The Asus's pixel response times (Trace Free 60) are only 0.5-2ms faster vs the BenQ (AMA High), doubt you will see a difference.

Last edited:
As an owner of a BenQ EW VA monitor with pretty rubbish motion performance I can say that it isn't just the averages you want to consider, it's some annoying super slow response times. There are some real high outliers on the GW2760HS which TFT Central picks up with their testing but you can't see from PRAD's testing - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2760hs.htm. You'd need to compare those high times with the same responses on the Asus really.

I belive those are caused by MVA panel and since both use same panel then those transitions wil be painfull on both.

Dark gray & brownish hue transitions were obviously slow and smeary on the 750P I reviewed. Buy a faster IPS/PLS/AHVA or TN panel if the current A-MVA panels slower pixel response times are too disturbing.

Last edited:
I now have the ASUS VN279QLB and can compare it to the BenQ GW2760HS.

Positives of the ASUS:

- Much better stand with height/tilt/pivot/rotate adjustments
- No glossy lacquer finish
- Better Overdrive control (TraceFree 0/20/40/60/80/100 vs. AMA off/standard/premium)
- Even smaller bezel
- More professional look overall, no "toy" look
- Less problematic colors

Negatives of the ASUS:

- Fonts look a bit less sharp (i think BenQ does sharpening even at Sharpness 4). I like the sharper look better. But the ASUS at Vividpixel 25 (lowest setting) over-sharpens, so you have to use 0 (disable).
- Bottom of the screen gets a greenish/blueish color shift faster when viewed from above. With above i mean eye level = top of the screen. Not much, but noticable.
- Gamma seems to be a bit lower than 2.2 (about 2.1, tested with PixPerAn). No Gamma setting.
- Constant quiet high-pitched noise from the electronics.

Otherwise the picture looks pretty much identical, once you get the colors right. Speaking of colors, the recommendations from the Overclockers.ru review of the ASUS are completely wrong on my model. This can be explained by the factory calibration. When i checked the service menu, the offsets and color temps were all different from the review. Hence, the color settings from the review do not match at all. Instead of User (83/91/98), i had to use R100/G89/B99. So for me the greens were the problem, not the reds. Also, i used Brightness 20.

About the overdrive, Tracefree 60 is a small improvement over AMA standard. There is an overshoot at 60, but a relatively small one (tested with PixPerAn flags). 80 and 100 are unusable due to high overshoot (corona effect).

All in all, i view the ASUS as the superior model, especially in build quality and regarding the stand. It costs 80 EUR more which can be partly explained by the stand, and only a little bit by image quality. You don't lose that much there with the BenQ.

Two things annoy me: The quiet high-pitched noise (my PC is very quiet) and a small speck of dirt in the middle of the screen which i can't get rid of. It's not a bad pixel, just a small dot of impurity of some sort. Because of this, i will return the ASUS, and get another one, but the same model. When that new ASUS makes no electronic noise, i am happy to keep it.

I received my BenQ GW2760HS today but i'm not really happy with it because the picture is to grayish, i expected a VA Monitor not a TN/IPS/PLS Monitor. :mad:
The Monitor review websites say that the GW2760HS has only 300.1 less contrast than the GW2450HM but it is 2 times grayish'er so either i'm blind or something is really fishy here. :confused:

Last edited:
I received my BenQ GW2760HS today but i'm not really happy with it because the picture looks to grayish

First make these adjustments: Mode "User", brightness 12, sharpness 4, Gamma 2. Then you have to adjust the colors, sadly i can't help you with that, every monitor of the same model is slightly different...

Brightness 12 is to low for me i did set it to 50 but it doesn't matter what i set it too because this grayish film will not go away. I suspect that the AG coating is causing this problem.

Brightness 50 on the BenQ results in 250 cd/m², which is not very friendly to the eyes. Recommended is 130-140 cd/m², setting 10-13. But maybe if you have a very bright room...

I can't see any "gray film" by the way. And i sit in front of many different monitors. It is a normal looking screen to me.

Mine should be here next week.

Hope its a good replacement for my trusty Dell U2410.

I love the colors and viewing angle of the Dell,
But I just can't stand the IPS glow and 870:1 contrast ratio anymore.
Also its LOCKED at 60Hz no matter what overclock refresh I tried, It stutters.

The main purpose of this purchase is Movie watching.

Using MPC-HC and MadVR I am force to use "Smooth Motion" so 24p looks at least watchable on a 60Hz monitor (without 3:2 pulldown or judder).
The Asus VN279QLB can be overclocked and that is a big one for me, I strive for 72Hz (24hz x 3). :D

I calibrate my displays with i1 Display Pro to get perfect color and gamma curve.
I'm really happy to see Offset and Gain in the Service Menu, and a good Gamma curve (2.20) of the box (= less banding after calibration).
Adjustable Overdrive is a plus, but I don't mind, I don't play games.

Hope mine is quiet, dust free, and has low backlight bleed, as I don't want to return it to Germany any time soon. :cool:

Can't wait.

Last edited:
Brightness 50 on the BenQ results in 250 cd/m², which is not very friendly to the eyes. Recommended is 130-140 cd/m², setting 10-13. But maybe if you have a very bright room...

I can't see any "gray film" by the way. And i sit in front of many different monitors. It is a normal looking screen to me.
I'm sitting in a dark room and if i go under 60 Brightness then whites are starting to get gray.
I can only say that the GW2450MH has better whites and blacks and has also a less "gray film".

@James Freeman
I cannot see any Glow or backlight bleed on the GW2760HS in a dark room watching a dark movies, and i'm a picky user. ;)

Last edited:
I cannot see any Glow or backlight bleed on the GW2760HS in a dark room watching a dark movies, and i'm a picky user. ;)

If the Asus VN279QLB backlight bleed is less strong (subjectively) compared to an IPS Glow, I'm a happy man.

Also,
Can anyone actually confirm a 72Hz, 75Hz Overclock refresh rate (stutter free)?

PS.
Once its here, I'll be posting some real measurements with my i1 Display Pro.
Contrast Ratio, Gamma Curve (Calibrated / Not).

Last edited:
Brightness 12 is to low for me i did set it to 50 but it doesn't matter what i set it too because this grayish film will not go away. I suspect that the AG coating is causing this problem.
Sounds like contrast shift. Although that should be present on the GW2450HM too. Maybe its worse on that panel or maybe you notice it more because of the larger size monitor. Or that 1000:1 contrast difference might make it more prominent.

It's not contrast shift like you said i have more contrast shift on the GW2450HM.
There is a 500:1 contrast difference between the GW2450HM (2443:1).and the GW2760HS (1914:1).
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq_gw2760s/comparison_4.jpg
I thought i would not the notice the difference between 500:1 contrast, but looks like i was wrong about that. A low contrast Monitor is like a Ferrari with citroen wheels. :)
But i'm sure anyone that had a 1000:1 Monitor will be happy with this one.
Are there any PWM free TV's out there?

Last edited:
Are there any PWM free TV's out there?
There might be. Very difficult to follow that market. Its hard enough to follow the monitor market. Although, highend brands like Panasonic & Sony might do that just because they can. Possible that highend models from the other brands might spot it too. AUO might make it a feature in TV panels also.

One way to find out is to run around in stored and point a camera that is able to detect PWM at the screens. Naturally, any of them have brightness set to max though so you'll have to go in on those and lower brightness.

Probably not worth the hassle. I dont think you'll find anything that is significantly better than the monitors discussed in this thread. Perhaps you should return it and try another unit and see if its better. Or try a Samsung.. they might use higher grade panels since they seem to score a little better.

A good TV's has normal always a lot better contrast than the VA Monitor. It's also strange that the PWM issus is always ignored in the TV reviews.

A good TV's has normal always a lot better contrast than the VA Monitor. It's also strange that the PWM issus is always ignored in the TV reviews.

If I had to guess most tv's are set to a higher brightness than monitors making the effect less of an issue.

I don't see much of a difference with the grayish issue if a crank up or down the brightness. This grayish problem can also be caused by the Anti-Reflect Coating but i'm not 100% sure if it is that or the 500:1 less contrast.

I received my BenQ GW2760HS today but i'm not really happy with it because the picture is to grayish, i expected a VA Monitor not a TN/IPS/PLS Monitor. :mad:
The Monitor review websites say that the GW2760HS has only 300.1 less contrast than the GW2450HM but it is 2 times grayish'er so either i'm blind or something is really fishy here. :confused:

sounds like my exact experience with the Asus :(

I understand that this monitor could be modified by end-users to support G-sync.

@James Freeman,
Mine overclocks to 72Hz and 75Hz( this is max ). I can't see any stutter and I come from 120hz Samsung S27A750D.

@Mike500
I order second Asus from ebuyer UK, hoping it would have less bleed but it was actually worst. I've spotted that in mid left of the screen there was a speck of dust or something.
I've returned the monitor.

@Outbreaker
I have also similar experience with Asus VN279Q, whites looks greyish when brightness is set below 50%. Although I was not aware of that until I've put Samsung S27A950D next to it.

The Samsung has slightly detached bezel at the bottom and some noticeable back light bleed, plus after owning Asus AMVA I've started noticing how poor blacks look on it, so many details are lost on dark images. Now I'm torn which one to keep, too bad there isn't perfect monitor.

About Asus VN2779QLB, the model that I received as first and been using for a few weeks seem that it lost some of the backlight bleed. Either I'm getting used to it or it fixed itself somehow.

Yes the colors look grayish and the white have also a yellowish tint in it.
Prad.de gave the GW2760HS a good rating and the GW2450HM a average rating that's an insut to quality. :D

If you are using a nvidia card and are connected via HDMI the blacks will look gray unless you use this patch or set follow the settings in this image. The patch is better.

@Outbreaker

You don't know how much contrast your GW2450HM has and the A-MVA panels vary...

Back