ASUS VN248H Small Bezel IPS With VESA

Cecil

Supreme [H]ardness
Last edited:
No dead pixels, does 72Hz (not 75Hz or more).

Screen coating is a light matte. Definitely not semi-gloss, but not the typical matte coating on most IPS monitors.

Will have time later to go over some more.

Screen coating is a light matte. Definitely not semi-gloss, but not the typical matte coating on most IPS monitors.

Thought so. Here is a pic of the new non-semi glossy coating LG is making:

http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2013/07/30/2/61_kristaleffect_big.jpg

Most of the new AH-IPS monitors have the same coating as the BL2411Pt at the top. The coating is light but still a sparkly compared to the semi-glossy coatings found on the following IPS:

NEC EA244WMi
Dell U2x13 models
Asus PA2x9Q models
NEC P242W
NEC PA24xW models

& all matte PLS except for the S2xC570H & the S23B350T

Its a little grainier then I like, but certainly usable and better then the VG248QE that Ive been using.

Calibrating with Windows calibration and lagom, Id rate it by eye about a 7.5-8/10. No matter what I do, its just a little too bright, causing blacks to be grey-er then I want. "Vivid Pixel" is just another way of saying extreme sharpness. Anything over 50 is very fake looking, and I just prefer it off. 25% does help white text a little though.

The thin bezels are nice, color is good, motion is actually much better then I expected. Probably the smoothest non TN Ive used. Tracefree at 40. With the lagom response time test, block B-E flash white, matching box 10. Every IPS Ive seen flash at least 25.

There is no backlight bleed or uniformity issues. I think ASUS is finally picking up their game in that department.

Overall, thinking Im going to send it back and try a Qnix. Have to turn brightness too high to make white look white, which then kills black level. For most users, it wouldnt be enough to bother them. Having a fast IPS that can do 72Hz with thin bezels is likely enough for most people. Im just picky about black levels, and really prefer VA because of it.

Stand is cheap junk that I recommend changing right away. Wobbles, doesnt offer much movement, and is too low.

EDIT:

Pics next to a VG248QE, both calibrated.
http://s864.photobucket.com/user/ctmaudi/library/PC Setups/ASUS VN248H

Best I can do with a P&S.

Last edited:
Are you guys sure that it can't do 75Hz?
Asus MX239H does 75Hz with these just fine:
resc4ucq.png

I'm a bit surprised if it can't hit 75.

I'm keeping it for a secondary to the qnix. Going to put it on an arm for monitoring/chats/etc...

Last edited:
There aren't any bezelless monitors yet. Those have the edges of the screen blacked out, so its about the same cm of black still.

I'm interested in that VN248H model...Maybe the better solution would be MX239H for faster gaming like BF3 ?

Hey, just found this post and I gotta question...

How is this monitor for gaming? Stuff like Eve, Civ, Torchlight, with maybe just a dash of a FPS thrown in very very rarely.

I only ask because I have a ViewSonic VA2431wm right now and am looking at swapping it out for a new one (Or, if the price stays decent on Newegg at $139, maybe 2).

Thoughts?

Back