Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D Vision 2: The Official Thread

In response to that dude's review and frame rate vs gpu demands -- yes you turn down the eye candy some. Its an arbitrary graphics ceiling anyway.. devs could make the graphics cieling in a game much, much higher if they wanted to. You don't have to run every game on max with crazy amount of AA either. It's a carrot on a stick leading you to push to an arbitrary ultra ceiling. Having gorgeous textures, depth via bump mapping and other shaders, complex detailed objects, landscapes, and architectures looks great in screenshots but when you move - all the content in your viewport blurs and loses all detail unless you are running the fastest Lightboost2 lcd monitors synchronized to the framerate, or running something like a fw900 crt, both of which yield zero motion blur.
Metro has always run worse on nvidia cards. Several different games favor one camp or the other. Its also poorly optimized. It would make a good stress benchmark if it didn't favor amd over nvidia though.. but then several other games favor nvidia over amd even with similarly powered cards.

I'm very interested in a comparison of the Asus VG24QE vs the BenQ XL2411T.
Namely:
-- whether the Asus VG24QE has the crimson tint with lightboost sync'd strobing enabled
-- how the Asus VG24QE backlight bleed compares to the BenQ XL2411T at common brightness/contrast settings during LB2 zero blur mode
(extreme brightness setting exacerbate backlight bleed)
---comparison between the two: brightness in Lightboost2 sync'd zero blur mode.
---comparison between the two: input lag in Lightboost2 sync'd zero blur mode.
--- comparison: color vibrance in Lightboost2 sync'd zero blur mode.
(We all know TN panels do not have uniform brightness/color due to TN shift/shading.. whining that its not an ips is silly)
--- comparison between the two: inversion artifacts in Lightboost2 sync'd zero blur mode.

I really don't care what it looks like outside of lightboost2 mode since it would be dedicated to gaming only. So his reports of 144hz and other non lightboost2 sync'd opinions have no bearing to me. I have a 2560x1440 ips dedicated to all my desktop/app/still imagery stuff, a lightboost2 monitor would be for zero blur gaming only.

This quote was comparing the 2ms Asus VG278H vs the 1ms BenQ XL2411T .. so when he says "the Asus" its the 2ms VG278H not the 1ms Asus VG248QE
Preliminary BENQ XL2411T observations

I want to keep most of my data for a detailed web page, but I will post some preliminary data. LightBoost works as advertised, following my own instructions (I now have more screenshots for the series of steps to install an EDID override file, will post those in the next month or two.

When enabling LightBoost:
- BENQ is a much, much better panel from a trailing-artifact perspective. This is the most impressive aspect of the BENQ.
- There is a crimson tint. It becomes more subdued if I raise the Contrast in BENQ's OSD to above "43", but it starts clipping colors.
- The well-known "BENQ AMA coronas" completely disappears.
- When LightBoost is MAX in monitor's OSD, the LightBoost Brightness on BENQ at contrast 50 is similar to ASUS at contrast 90.
- I see the faint horizontal lines at the upper-right, but only when LightBoost is enabled. This appears to be a normal LightBoost artifact for a BENQ.
- The ASUS colors does look look better at desktop. I don't notice in games though; the BENQ actually is slightly sharper looking because it is smaller (24" rather than 27").
- The LCD inversion artifacts are much less on the BENQ than on the ASUS. LightBoost does not amplify inversion artifacts on the BENQ nearly as much as it does on ASUS.
- LightBoost doesn't seem brighter on the BENQ than ASUS. (The most surprising aspect)
- I need to do more tests on MPRT, but preliminary MPRT of about 1.9ms from default settings, but if I set LightBoost down to 10% (not OFF) via monitor's OSD, I'm able to get MPRT 1.4ms. That's a much dimmer image. I need to verify I'm reproducing the same test conditions that Vega is.

That said, the most impressive aspect of BENQ: During LightBoost, the crosstalk between refreshes is darn near practically zero to the eye (Less than 1% for sure -- possibly about 0.5% inter-frame GtG pixel persistence leakage). The LightBoost-specific response time compensation (non-adjustable when LightBoost enabled) is very good. This is very, very good for 3D glasses, as this will mean you won't notice 3D crosstalk with these "1ms" panels. During 2D motion, there isn't even a faint 'sharp faint doubled-up edge' minor artifact that is seen on the ASUS VG278H. I will attempt to have high-speed camera comparisions of both the BENQ vs ASUS refresh within a month or two.

Although very hard to tell since both are zero motion blur LCD's, due to fewer side effect artifacts (except crimson tint), motion looks slightly better on BENQ, and the BENQ is well known to have less input lag. If competitive FPS gamers are looking an answer -- the BENQ input lag will win out.

Last edited:
So is it glossy or matte?

Wondering between this or the BenQ or Samsung 700D, would like a 24" more then 23" so only option or the asus or benq.

Seems like Asus is matte, if someone like NCX reviews it we could find out matte level at a scale 1-10 because he has compared many displays.

As for the 700D it is wery nice colors, 120hz, there is a review I think made by NCX or someone else with calibrated settings, once I calibrated similar to the review the colors are just like my IPS, well if I really hard compare colors my IPS is slighty better.

The 700D is glare(good!!!) and vivid colors the only really "bad" thing is the 12-13ms input lag, I believe this Asus propably is 4ms(???), I guess it could be 2-8ms, doubt higher.

I like to play online competitive FPS, I'm still very likely keeping the 700D even as the input lag is 12-13ms.

On Asus I think one big negative is the backlight bleeding on black image, but if the display is used 100% gaming then It' propably a non issue.

Well I've also noticed a lot of 120Hz owners keep complaining about backlight bleed at brightness settings well beyond that what they should be using if properly calibrated, 120Hz(+) monitors tend to be relatively bright (which will obviously also mean in average 120Hz(+) displays have more BLB issues) and properly configured often should be set around 25 - 35. I would do yourself a favor and do not stress for no reason about BLB at brightness settings you shouldn't or isn't ending up using. If it's standable at the correct setting then that's what's important not how it looks at 50 or much less so at 100 brightness.

I'm a ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz owner and this has absolutely disgusting BLB at 100 or even at 50 but below 30 it looks ok so no issues. :)

Well ... Just hooked this thing up and HOLY SHIT BALLS ... 120Hz is freakin amazing. Everything is so smooth. Even moving boxes around on the desktop its smooth.

Sad thing though.... When I try to run @ 144Hz it has AMD displayport error :-(. I dont think AMD cards can run this @ 144Hz but I could be wrong. I have 2 MSI 7970 Lightnings running one of these right now and getting about 200 FPS in Blacks Ops 2 @ 1920x1080p @ 120Hz. I can't wait till the other 2 show up but I'm afraid I might have to get one more video card....

I need someone to post a good calibration template I can copy... The colors are a little off from the factory....

Last edited:
Well ... Just hooked this thing up and HOLY SHIT BALLS ... 120Hz is freakin amazing. Everything is so smooth. Even moving boxes around on the desktop its smooth.

Sad thing though.... When I try to run @ 144Hz it has AMD displayport error :-(. I dont think AMD cards can run this @ 144Hz but I could be wrong. I have 2 MSI 7970 Lightnings running one of these right now and getting about 140 FPS in Blacks Ops 2 @ 1920x1080p @ 120Hz. I can't wait till the other 2 show up but I'm afraid I might have to get one more video card....

I need someone to post a good calibration template I can copy... The colors are a little off from the factory....

Hell yea! You just made me remember that something good is actually going to happen this coming week. :D Mine gets here Tuesday.

Will this monitor be able to run Eyefinity 5760 X 1080p @ 120Hz using displayport?

^ this. Anyone? I am wondering for use with my VaporX 7970's as I'm sick of this stupid overheating Active DP to DVI dongle. The reason I would like to get one of these monitors.

^ this. Anyone? I am wondering for use with my VaporX 7970's as I'm sick of this stupid overheating Active DP to DVI dongle. The reason I would like to get one of these monitors.

My other 2 monitors will be here this week sometime. The thing with this monitor and Eyefinity you will need a card that outputs 3 displayport or 3 DVI-D. I'm running a MSI Lightning that has 3 displayport outs. Im using a mini displayport to Displayport cable to be able to run it @ 120Hz.

My Vapor-X's have 2 DVI and 1 DP so I'm currently using a DP to DVI active adapter to have surround gaming.

Should I not be able to ditch the dongle/VG238H and plug the DP directly into the card for the VG248QE if I get one?

DVI + DVI + "DP-to-DVI active adapter" = overheating adapter annoyance.

DVI + DVI + DP = 120 Hz surround euphoria? :confused:

Not sure if this applies to the asus VG248QE but since it is a similar panel I thought I'd past it here.

The BENQ XL2411T Crimson Fix

Zero crimson tint with BENQ LightBoost!
On the subject of BENQ color calibration, I cancel out the crimson tint via nVidia Control Panel, by doing the following:

Monitor OSD
Monitor's Contrast Setting = 48

nVidia Control Panel - "Adjust Desktop Color Settings"
Adjust them individually, R, G, B.
---
R Contrast = 30%
G Contrast = 50%
B Contrast = 30%
---
R Brightness = 10%
G Brightness = 50%
B Brightness = 10%
---
R,G,B Gamma = 1.05 (...or a higher value, but set all of them to the same value).

Test Patterns Used
-- Lagom Contrast Pattern
-- Lagom Black Level

My Vapor-X's have 2 DVI and 1 DP so I'm currently using a DP to DVI active adapter to have surround gaming.

Should I not be able to ditch the dongle/VG238H and plug the DP directly into the card for the VG248QE if I get one?

DVI + DVI + "DP-to-DVI active adapter" = overheating adapter annoyance.

DVI + DVI + DP = 120 Hz surround euphoria? :confused:

It might work for 120hz ... I would submit a ticket to amd and ask them ...

Ok thank you!

Edit: Sorry I'll quit clogging up this thread but can anyone post a link where I could talk to support? Should I contact Sapphire or AMD?

Ok thank you!

Edit: Sorry I'll quit clogging up this thread but can anyone post a link where I could talk to support? Should I contact Sapphire or AMD?

MB both ... and whatever you find out ... post it here to let everyone else know

Not sure if this applies to the asus VG248QE but since it is a similar panel I thought I'd past it here.
I now have an improved version of the crimson fix. (Spent another hour tweaking!) It might not apply, but give it a try anyway.

The BENQ XL2411T Crimson Fix

Zero crimson tint with BENQ LightBoost!
On the subject of BENQ color calibration, I cancel out the crimson tint via nVidia Control Panel, by doing the following:

Via Monitor Menus
Monitor's Contrast Setting = 65 .... (If using nVidia Gamma 1.10)

Via nVidia Control Panel - "Adjust Desktop Color Settings"
Adjust them individually, R, G, B.
---
R Contrast = 30%
G Contrast = 45%
B Contrast = 30%
---
R Brightness = 10%
G Brightness = 40%
B Brightness = 10%
---
R,G,B Gamma = 1.10

Make sure to readjust Monitor OSD contrast everytime you change Gamma. nVidia Gamma 1.10 worked best with a monitor OSD Contrast of 65.
With these settings, I can see the difference between RGB(0,0,0) and RGB(1,1,1), without a wrongly tinted color in backgrounds or in dim colors.

Test Patterns Used
-- Lagom Contrast Pattern
-- Lagom Black Level

Last edited:
I just put a ticket through with Sapphire and they responded instantly. Here it is...

Me: I am running an eyefinity setup with 3 - Asus VG236H monitors one of which is using a stupid Active Displayport to DVI adapter. If I replace that monitor with a new Asus VG248QE which has a displayport connection will I be able to run 120Hz directly through the displayport connection to the displayport monitor?

Thank you for you time.

Them via email 1 minute later:
"Ticket Details:

Queue: Technical Support
Summary: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 7970 GHz EDITION 3GB GDDR5
Details: You should be able to, you wont be needing that active adapter anymore.

Please do not reply to this email. If you have additional information, please update the ticket using the link to the support system provided.

Thank you,

Sapphire Support Team"

Seems like a go. Is contacting AMD redundant?

Well I've also noticed a lot of 120Hz owners keep complaining about backlight bleed at brightness settings well beyond that what they should be using if properly calibrated, 120Hz(+) monitors tend to be relatively bright (which will obviously also mean in average 120Hz(+) displays have more BLB issues) and properly configured often should be set around 25 - 35. I would do yourself a favor and do not stress for no reason about BLB at brightness settings you shouldn't or isn't ending up using. If it's standable at the correct setting then that's what's important not how it looks at 50 or much less so at 100 brightness.

I'm a ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz owner and this has absolutely disgusting BLB at 100 or even at 50 but below 30 it looks ok so no issues. :)

But the problem is that alot of the complaining comes from Asus owners regarding uniformity and BLB.

I'm running my Samsun S23A700D at 22 brightness and have zero problems with BLB and uniformity.

Lol if I have to turn down brightness to get rid of BLB..its goes back. Yet I find if you remove the cover/front frame this gets rid of the BLB SOMETIMES.

I bought one of these @279 has not come yet. I don't expect much since its TN and stamped ASUS :(

I hope the BLB is better than on the VG278HE I had. It was fine except for the bottom, and it was so bad there you could see it in pretty much any situation and any angle.

What I find interesting is in that first review, they mentioned the VG27HE has better viewing angles than the VG248QE. Seems wierd.

Last edited:
So how is the monitor? Should I get this one or the 700D or the BenQ?
Don't bother with the 700D. It doesn't have LightBoost (also benefits 2D, not just 3D -- see LightBoost 2D HOWTO on how to eliminate motion blur).

Thanks to the LightBoost tweak, the BENQ XL2411T has over 75% less motion blur than non-LightBoost 120Hz - which is a surprising further reduction in blur. The XL2411T has less motion blur than plasma, and is better and less blur than the Sony emulated "480 Hz" and "960 Hz" television (MotionFlow XR 960) like this existing Sony TV here. Yet LightBoost pulls this off without the input lag problem of interpolation. PixPerAn text speed test of 30 (CRT territory). PixPerAn chase test of 1 pixel apart (CRT territory). PixPerAn "I NEED MORE SOCKS" clearly readable even at 960 pixels/second movement (120Hz @ 8 pixel tempo).

If you are going to get a 120Hz TN instead of getting IPS, then you might as well get LightBoost -- it's a bonus feature that you can turn on/off.

Thanks
Mark Rejhon
Blur Busters Blog -- www.blurbusters.com

Last edited:
Don't bother with the 700D. It doesn't have LightBoost (also benefits 2D, not just 3D -- see LightBoost 2D HOWTO on how to eliminate motion blur).

Thanks to the LightBoost tweak, the BENQ XL2411T has over 75% less motion blur than non-LightBoost 120Hz - which is a surprising further reduction in blur. The XL2411T has less motion blur than plasma, and is better and less blur than the Sony emulated "480 Hz" and "960 Hz" television (MotionFlow XR 960) like this existing Sony TV here. Yet LightBoost pulls this off without the input lag problem of interpolation. PixPerAn text speed test of 30 (CRT territory). PixPerAn chase test of 1 pixel apart (CRT territory). PixPerAn "I NEED MORE SOCKS" clearly readable even at 960 pixels/second movement (120Hz @ 8 pixel tempo).

If you are going to get a 120Hz TN instead of getting IPS, then you might as well get LightBoost -- it's a bonus feature that you can turn on/off.

Thanks
Mark Rejhon
Blur Busters Blog -- www.blurbusters.com

Definitely sounds like you're saying the XL2411T is there best one out there right now. Wish you had a VG248QE to compare.

As of currently though, you have to have a nvidia GPU to enable light boost right? Is AMD working on anything to compete?

Definitely sounds like you're saying the XL2411T is there best one out there right now. Wish you had a VG248QE to compare.
Same. It probably should be similar.
The "1ms" stuff definitely is worth it -- whatever technology they put in there to be able to claim "1ms" -- is definitely impressive when doing PixPerAn tests (and other motion tests).

However, Vega has ordered the VG248QE. He has tested the XL2411T and was impressed by it (except for color). Keep an eye out for his comments.

As of currently though, you have to have a nvidia GPU to enable light boost right?
Yes, although it seems to be potentially controllable via a custom DDC/CI command that is currently unknown at this time. We've tried to investigate using softMCCS already.

Last edited:
Attention -- to people in this thread.
Some magazines/websites are starting to test ASUS VG248QE monitors -- which has LightBoost.

Please contact your favourite monitor reviewer website to make sure they test LightBoost.
We need to tell them to test LightBoost motion blur more often, and test motion tests! Contact your favourite magzine/reviewer/bloggers.

Click the "Contact Us" feature of your favourite magazine and blog websites, and let them know to test this feature next time they review a LightBoost monitor!
More and more people need to review this technology. I'm happy that a few reviewers (TechNGaming, PCGamesHardware) are starting to slowly cover this, and this AnandTech article has a brief acknowledgement LightBoost eliminates motion blur. Over the year, I expect more snowballing of coverage to happen, especially when eager-awaited easy motion tests launch and revolutionize how future displays are tested by reviewers and bloggers! However, we need more reviewers to at least test the LightBoost feature, on more magazines, more bloggers, more websites, etc. (Note: Including HardOCP, if they also test monitors, too) .... They don't have to publish these links -- nor links to me -- They just need to learn about how LightBoost works, in order to understand it, before being able to review it.

Video-game-friendly motion blur elimination technologies is a topic of importance to ALL gaming monitor reviewers that has been neglected for so long, needs more coverage for the public good. HDTV's have long have had motion interpolation and "240" and "480" or "960" "Hz" simulation, but that's not suitable for games. When LightBoost is enabled, today's LightBoost LCD monitors provide less motion blur than plasma, and also less motion blur than Sony "simulated 960Hz" HDTV's (like the Sony HX950) without the input lag disadvantages!

so PLEASE contact your favourite magazine and blog reviewer
...to tell them to cover LightBoost in their magazine review of the ASUS VG248QE! At least add ONE PARAGRAPH about it...!

Last edited:
Just got mine today! I'm using it right now. I just played a quick match of Black Ops 2 and Holy crap it was amazing!

Just got mine today! I'm using it right now. I just played a quick match of Black Ops 2 and Holy crap it was amazing!
That's great to hear! Did you try with or without LightBoost? Regardless, it's probably impressive compared to any old 60 Hz LCD.

Got mine today, the colors are very off from start-up, anyone got a decent brightness/contrast, etc for this?

Got mine today, the colors are very off from start-up, anyone got a decent brightness/contrast, etc for this?

Same exact thing here. I was kinda bummed out when I first saw the desktop. But then I ran a quick match of Black Ops 2 with out changing anything and in game it just looked Amazing! No joke, its almost like the colors and texture were more alive and vivid.

Its just beautiful to be able to play above 60fps with out getting screen Super bad screen tearing. I capped Black Ops 2 at at 120 and it ran wonderful. Can't wait to try it on other games.

This monitor has really nothing impressive or outstanding when it comes to color and image quality that isn't out there already. Its just like my Asus VE248H. But when you take advantage of the 120Hz+ Its just amazing! It almost increases the image quality of the game alone

Same thing the colors are all messed up out of the box. Even with the presets nothing looks right. I will play around with the settings see if I can get this thing to look normal

What settings you have it running at?
I take it you were asking me?

I'm running it straight out the box with out changing anything. i7 3770K (Stock) and EVGA GTX 680. Single Monitor, all thought I would like to plug in the other Asus that's getting replaced by this one to get a side by side comparison. I never ran 2 monitors at one time before. Can I do it using the DVI on the VG and the HDMI on my VH?

Same thing the colors are all messed up out of the box. Even with the presets nothing looks right. I will play around with the settings see if I can get this thing to look normal

Use these test patterns while you adjust:
Lagom Color Bands
Lagom Black Levels

Play with your adjustments until
(1) Black levels look great (blacks are't clipped, black is black, and you still can see the grays)
(2) You can see all the color bands from the darkest through brightest colors.

If you enable LightBoost and can't adjust your monitor, then adjust colors via nVidia Control Panel. (I solved my BENQ XL2411T crimson tint this way).

I followed the instructions for the Lightboost hack and I do not think it is working properly or maybe I was expecting too much. First, I do not see the "Enable Stereoscopic 3D settings for all displays'' under adjust resolution. Second, It is in 3d-mode with lightboost as my monitor settings are locked but I still see the normal motion blur and ghosting as I would with it off. Any insight would be appreciated.

Hm. So do I pick it up? No telling when the XL2411T will be available in the US.

Daily user and devotee of the FW900 here... I just ordered one of these from Newegg as well. Thanks to Mark's blog I found my way to this Lightboost hack. I'm looking forward to running it through a gambit of head to head tests focusing (initially at least) on Battlefield 3. I'm trying now to get my hands on a high-speed camera now to assist in that effort. Will post results.

I will say that the brightness right off the get-go is extremely high, I have it turned down and still seems quite bright. Any of you guys that have this, and say it's working excellent, mind providing me your settings for me to mimic?

Just got mine today and its sitting right next to my Sony FW900 on my table. Too late tonight but sometime I will try to take some comparison shots as well. Can I run both monitors @ 1080p in a game?

The colors are of course horrid when you first turn it on.
I set mine to standard and turned brightness down to 30 and that makes it bearable. If anyone would like to, please post your tweaked settings.

I played a round of old school games Quake 3 and UT2004 and I must say it feels very smooth and closer to my CRT then any other LCD I have played on so far even without lightboost. I will try light boost when I can get a Nvidia GPU in the future.

Also 1 dead or stuck pixel , not sure which one. Not a big dead at all but still, its there. It wasn't on when I first turned on the monitor but appeared within 1 hour.

Last edited:
You should be able to mirror the displays in windows screen resolution settings under multi-monitor setup.

Back