Asus strix 970 gtx overheating and Nvidia cover up?

eddie500

Gawd
I had an issue with my computer where games would cause black screen crash every 10-15 minutes, sometimes longer with sound loop. I had to hard reset computer.

After trying everything I heard someone give a tip on the geforce.com forums that for his 970 strix he had to manually turn the fans up higher.

I did this and could not believe it fixed my issues, the fans were louder but it worked. Temps seemed to go from 60c's to 40's with manually turning them up to 75%.

I have a couple of questions. Why would I have to manually do this and why isn't my GPU doing this automatically. Or is it possible I have a defective card?

The other question is I got the tip from the geforce.com forum and he wrote it some months back. I replied on the thread saying it fixed my problem and someone else chimed in right away saying that he may try it with his 960gtx with same issues.
Well today I found the thread mysteriously deleted from the geforce.com forum??

Is geforce.com affiliated with Nvidia and is trying to cover up this issue?

Thanks for any comments here.

Anything in the 6x Celsius range isn't "overheating". You likely have a defective card. There is no cover up.

Anything in the 6x Celsius range isn't "overheating". You likely have a defective card. There is no cover up.

What would you recommend I do? Just adjust the fan speed in Asus GPU Tweak to always run higher, or would you RMA the card?

Somehow I have read a lot of people having similar problems but many have not figured out the problem. Somehow I think it is something defective with the cooling parameters. It is one of those things I think if I get a new card it will have the same issues.

What would you recommend I do? Just adjust the fan speed in Asus GPU Tweak to always run higher, or would you RMA the card?

RMA the card, if it is crashing at stock settings the card is probably bad.

Most people don't want to deal with the noise coming from fans running at 75%. The Strix doesn't even START spinning the fans until the card hits 60C.

I had a pair of STRIX 970s in SLI and never had a problem. As said, the card is designed to run silently until the fans are needed. By default the STRIX fans do not spin up until hitting 60C. Mine idled happily at 50C with fans at 0% and never went over 70C at 45% fan speed under load. GPUs can go over 100C without issue. If you're getting crashes at 60C then there is definitely something wrong with the card or your PC.

Yeah there must be something wrong. I just ran my card for the first time since manually adjusting them.

Temps seemed to be around 65C, but not 5 minutes into armored warfare game black screen crash.

So without a doubt it's the video card that needs to be cooled to 40's to run without problems.

Would you know if I RMA this card will they send me a new card or a used replacement?

Just sucks because I don't have a backup card.

If i had to guess..Asus it will be used one and will take at least 3 weeks min....just the way it is

If i had to guess..Asus it will be used one and will take at least 3 weeks min....just the way it is

That sucks, at this point I might just wait it out until I go on vacation or something. I mean, it isn't that big of a deal to raise the fans a little while gaming to keep it in the 40c range. I bet I could get away with maybe 50c range. 60's seems to where it has trouble. I'll have to slowly see what i can get away with and adjust it from there.

I can set it to automatically turn on at certain temperatures so this will avoid me having to manually turn them on and off.

I have a 3 year warranty so I don't think I have to rush to get it RMA. Fallout is coming out soon and I'm playing Armored Warfare big time right now so there is no way I'm going to be without my video card right now.

It it an "overclock" or "superclock" card? If so, it's just not making the cut. RMA or revert to stock clocks.

The Strix 970 is only available at one GPU speed and it is an extremely mild speed increase at that.

my 970 strix is an OC edition.

in Asus Tweak the GPU boost clock is set at 1253 MHZ. What should I put this at to get a stock setting?

I believe maybe it didn't make the cut.

Back