Asus Striker Raid Question

Sneak

Limp Gawd
Am about to upgrade this rig. I have two Raptors in Raid 0 now. Is my boot array with Windows XP.

I want to just plug these two drives as they are, data and all, into the new Striker in SATA 1 and 2 and configure them as the Raid 0 array they are now. I want to retain all of the data and boot from them.

Hopefully someone who has a Striker can answer this. After turning on Raid for these two SATA ports in the main Bios, can I just use the Rebuild Array option in the Nvidia Raid Bios to set this array and then just boot? The manual was a bit sketchy on that. If not how can I configure this array on the Striker and keep everything on the drives as they are and not trash the data on them.

Am planning to go the Sysprep route so I can keep Windows and the data. Then re-install drivers as needed.

It depends on what motherboard and RAID controller you are using right now. If you are using the onboard RAID on a nForce 4 or nForce 3, from my experience you can probably just move the drives over and it will redetect the array. If you are using a Intel chipset or some other brand, you will almost certainly have to rebuild the array from scratch.

Particleman said:
It depends on what motherboard and RAID controller you are using right now. If you are using the onboard RAID on a nForce 4 or nForce 3, from my experience you can probably just move the drives over and it will redetect the array. If you are using a Intel chipset or some other brand, you will almost certainly have to rebuild the array from scratch.

Particleman,
Thanks for the reply. Right now I have my Raid 0 on an Intel 875 chipset. So I may have to start from scratch. Ouch! If so at least everything will be clean and new on the drives

Takes longer to install and configure the software than it does to assemble the hardware. :(

Anyone know a way around this delima? If not will do what I have to.

Sneak said:
Particleman,
Thanks for the reply. Right now I have my Raid 0 on an Intel 875 chipset. So I may have to start from scratch. Ouch! If so at least everything will be clean and new on the drives

Takes longer to install and configure the software than it does to assemble the hardware. :(

Anyone know a way around this delima? If not will do what I have to.

You will have to start from scratch.

Why dont you buy a cheap external USB drive (I have an USB PEERLESS 20GB) and transfer the really important stuff first. It d/l pretty fast and will save u alot of heartache.

:)

Sneak,

Howz the raid working out on the striker board? Any stability issues?

Cablesguy,
Sorry I did not reply to you quicker. Short answer, I did not go with a RAID array this time. Reason: I have been RAIDing for a bunch of years like a lot around here. RAID 0 I had hoped would be the fast speed sprinter it was benchmarked to be. But after running it for a number of years I could not find a real reason to go back to it. Benchmarks well as is known but real world it didn't feel any faster to me. So I went with a single drive install this time. Honestly so far I can not tell any difference between the RAID array I had and the single drive I have now. Will keep watching it to see what I think over time.

Thought about a RAID 1 array as I have not done one of those. I do not need mirroring but I like to try things sometimes like others around here. But I decided against it.

The only reason I was considering the RAID 0 array at the beginning of this topic was because I already had the data on two RAID 0 drives and it was going to be a lot of work to redo it all. Was trying to save the data and the time just to make it easier. But alas I did it the hard way.

Wonda_Boy,
An external is on my wish list but not quite yet. Thats a good idea for sure.

I know the Striker supports 2 separate RAID arrays, but the question is can both arrays be internal, or are you limited to one internal and one external array (on the eSATA ports)?
If it doesn't support 2 separate internal arrays, can you suggest an appropriate RAID controller? PCI-E?

Did some research and answered my own question. nVidia MediaShield supports up to 8 arrays.

Back