Asus Sabertooth Z77 vs ASROCK Z77 Extreme4

The sabertooth. I had the asrock for a few days. It works fine if you leave it stock, but overclocking was a LOT of effort. In the end, I returned for the sabertooth

I haven't touched the ASRock Z77 Extreme4, but their boards have been hit or miss for me. The Sabertooth Z77 was an awesome board however.

You're kidding right?

I don't own the Extreme4, but I've got to agree with the above. I just got my first Asrock board today and overclocking is a breeze. Also, I don't know if it's Asrock, Z77, or Intel Rapid Start (think this only affects waking from sleep), but my system cold boots in 15 seconds, and my monitor turns on within 5 seconds. I initially thought I'd return this for a P8Z77-I Deluxe, but I'm not so sure anymore.

nice, did you try to overclock your i7-2600k yet? I wonder what kind of overclock that mITX can push

nice, did you try to overclock your i7-2600k yet? I wonder what kind of overclock that mITX can push

I just got the board today (Z77E-ITX) and haven't really pushed it. Undervolted .075v and sitting @ 4.2 (C states, eist off and HT on) with bios showing 1.080v and GPUZ showing 1.200v under load. Ran prime for a few hours today, temps stay under 60C and this is in an SG05 lol, so I'm very content for now anyway. I'll probably push to 4.5 soon, but I'm running an ST45SF. It's plenty of power for my system, but I don't want to be doing 40%+ overclocks with it.

This guy seemed to like the ASRock: Vortez Review

I couldn't find any other reviews, but it's still new, so they'll come. I'm leaning toward this one, especially since I can get it at Microcenter for $89!

Right, because Asus, Gigabyte, and others don't have any Z77 boards with two of those on any of their Z77 boards lol. Asus has a few with three!!

And when those boards end up on my test bench I'll bitch about them doing it too. And the Z77 chipset doesn't support PCI natively. An adapter chip is required. It costs more to add PCI than to leave the board all PCI-Express. And personally, I don't think it's needed. One PCI slot on some models is fine, but 2 or 3 is ridiculous. And I've been bitching about too many PCI slots on motherboards for a couple of years now. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and everyone else takes a beating from me on the subject.

I've even done so in person when I've encountered the reps at various events. Most of the boards we look at tend to be more mid-range and high end, so I haven't seen a lot of this in person. Then again I've not tested too many Z77 boards yet either.

Great reply, Thank You, and I completely agree. I just read the initial post as if Asrock was the only company doing this. Looks like their Z77 Extreme6 is the only ATX board with a single PCI.

Great reply, Thank You, and I completely agree. I just read the initial post as if Asrock was the only company doing this. Looks like their Z77 Extreme6 is the only ATX board with a single PCI.

ASRock is the worst offender in that they tend to have PCI slots present on a higher end spectrum of boards than say ASUS or Gigabyte would. Everyone still has models with too many PCI slots. Even budget machines should ditch them. Again it's actually more expensive to have it than not on Z77 Express based boards and it's unlikely that any new machine today, or even an upgraded one from a couple of years ago would require that many PCI slots for anything.

1 I get. One or two models with a bunch of legacy stuff for specialized systems which might need upgrades. I get that. But multiple PCI slots across a gamut of boards ranging from the budget to high end price points just doesn't make sense to me.

got my first extreme4 today, going to have two builds with extreme4s and 3770k and 3570k. You just can't beat bang for buck with this board. Was almost going to get a sabertooth, but you can get almost two extremes 4s for that price! I have tons of IDE drives, its sad to see no Z77 board support that anymore, only the highest end Asrock has one! Maybe I'll put that PCI to good use and put in a PCI IDE adapter lol!

I slam everybody when they deserve it. :) I've pissed in whe Wheaties of just about every board maker at one time or another for different reasons.

Am I in the minority for wishing it had an ISA slot so I could still use my Sound Blast AWE 32?

What, MIDI doesn't have all the compression artifacts of newer codecs. Its so clean.

I honestly looked at both motherboards, but in the end, i have no experience at all with ASRock, and had been told things like their "Digi + Power" is actually analog. And the Sabertooth, it looks awesome and seems to be a great board, but $240 is just to high, especially considering im told the "Dust Armor" is useless, if anything its fans suck in the dust and it gets stuck under the Armor. If they removed all the "for show" stuff and that reduced the price to something like $210 i would probably go for it.

In the end i decided to go with a motherboard that's right in between the two: the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H. Its a top of the line board, perfect reviews, great OC'er, its got everything the sabertooths got, and its $50 cheaper.

Back