ASUS ROG PG348Q - 34" 3440x1440 100hz Curved IPS G-Sync monitor

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-089-AS

That price....

pcpt.gif

I'm really, really torn...

I have a decent gaming rig (i7 4790k, 16gb RAM, GTX 980) which I built a few months ago. I'm still running on a very old LG 24 inches 1680x1050 which is the next step of my upgrade.

I usually keep my monitors for a very long time. Everything else gets upgraded and my monitor usually survives another full generation before being changed. I'm really tempted with the PG348Q as my system is a complete overkill for my monitor.

With that old LG monitor, any current monitor will be a major upgrade for sure. My current GTX 980 will probably not push a 21:9 1440p over 100 fps but if I SLI or eventually upgrade to a Pascal card, I expect to come very close to it or even finally break the 100 fps barrier and I have that feeling I'll regret not waiting for a 21:9 144hz monitor.

I know there have been some threads already on the subject but I'm curious to know what you guys are planning to do with that 100hz limit that comes with DP 1.2. It all comes down to how important is 144hz vs 100hz. If this monitor was 120hz or 144hz, I would give my money and my soul to Asus.

So for now, even a 100hz would not get me full benefits with my current system. I'm just trying to make a smart choice considering I want to avoid spending over/close to a thousand bucks and then having to upgrade in 2 years.

Since Asus won't release its PG348Q right now, I guess it gives time to get some review on it and more insight on the upcoming DP 1.3.

In other words, shame on you DP 1.2 for not being able to squeeze in a few more hz+:)

I'm really, really torn...

I have a decent gaming rig (i7 4790k, 16gb RAM, GTX 980) which I built a few months ago. I'm still running on a very old LG 24 inches 1680x1050 which is the next step of my upgrade.

I usually keep my monitors for a very long time. Everything else gets upgraded and my monitor usually survives another full generation before being changed. I'm really tempted with the PG348Q as my system is a complete overkill for my monitor.

With that old LG monitor, any current monitor will be a major upgrade for sure. My current GTX 980 will probably not push a 21:9 1440p over 100 fps but if I SLI or eventually upgrade to a Pascal card, I expect to come very close to it or even finally break the 100 fps barrier and I have that feeling I'll regret not waiting for a 21:9 144hz monitor.

I know there have been some threads already on the subject but I'm curious to know what you guys are planning to do with that 100hz limit that comes with DP 1.2. It all comes down to how important is 144hz vs 100hz. If this monitor was 120hz or 144hz, I would give my money and my soul to Asus.

So for now, even a 100hz would not get me full benefits with my current system. I'm just trying to make a smart choice considering I want to avoid spending over/close to a thousand bucks and then having to upgrade in 2 years.

Since Asus won't release its PG348Q right now, I guess it gives time to get some review on it and more insight on the upcoming DP 1.3.

In other words, shame on you DP 1.2 for not being able to squeeze in a few more hz+:)

You know, you don't HAVE to upgrade in 2 years just because something better comes out, because something better will indeed come out. If you end up getting this monitor just be happy with it and use it for however long you want whether it's 2 years or 5 years or maybe even longer.

I understand what you mean and that's pretty much what I intend to do. If I pull the trigger on that particular model, I'll keep it hence why I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake with my purchase (refresh rate wise but also for color accuracy, light bleed, etc)

There's always going to be something better around the corner.

We don't know if a higher refresh rate Ultrawide will even come out in 2 years though. I think it's more likely they will jump to 5120x2160 when DP 1.3 arrives.

There's always going to be something better around the corner.

We don't know if a higher refresh rate Ultrawide will even come out in 2 years though. I think it's more likely they will jump to 5120x2160 when DP 1.3 arrives.

That's a possibility indeed... and it will require some serious GPU power. Let's hope Pascal can deliver at that resolution.

How are you enjoying your 34UM95?

That's a possibility indeed... and it will require some serious GPU power. Let's hope Pascal can deliver at that resolution.

How are you enjoying your 34UM95?

Had it for about a year now and I'm happy with it, it's amazing for productivity. I tend to game mostly on the EC9300 OLED now though. Despite being only 1080P the contrast and perfect blacks bring a sense of depth of to the picture that makes any LCD look very dull in comparison. The response times on OLED are instant as well so no ghosting. Makes the motion look a lot cleaner even if there is still eye-tracking blur due to sample and hold.

4K OLED prices have been dropping quickly so I'm considering getting the 55" EG9600 and using it as a monitor, but I will wait until CES to see if LG comes out with any smaller OLEDs next year, as I'd really rather have one in 40" - 48" size.

Had I not seen how good OLED is, I would be getting the PG348Q or Acer X34 day one. Love the ultrawide format, but it is incredibly hard to go back to LCD. I still play FPS on my UM95 but I can't justify picking up one of these 100 Hz monitors for just a small selection of games.

Thanks for your reply :)

We're slowly getting to OLED with those prices coming down like you said. The EC9300 is around 4k $ where I live so it's getting there :) Affordable OLED will eventually open up a new array of possibilities and that's for the best with more options.

I'm tracking that PG348Q very closely. Waiting on more reviews to come in.

The bezel on the recently announced Asus LX341 looks a lot better for pretty much the same specs: IPS, G-Sync, 34" curved, and high refresh rate. Interesting that Asus is releasing two competing products like that.

The bezel on the recently announced Asus LX341 looks a lot better for pretty much the same specs: IPS, G-Sync, 34" curved, and high refresh rate. Interesting that Asus is releasing two competing products like that.
Looks like the only differences are the bezel, stand, and included speakers. Same panel otherwise. Would you really be willing to spend what the article says is an extra $200 for a subjectively better bezel with speakers you probably will never use?

The back of the monitor looks better then the front some Cybertron stuff going on =) Think they just made it that way for durability....

Back