ASUS R9 290X DirectCU II Sneak Peek

so when are you all going to test it :D looking forward to seeing you put it through the ringer and seeing how the non reference design improves on an already great card

If they add the cooler that's on their Poseidon card to this, I'll completely overlook the warranty fiasco that happened on the forums here earlier this year and make it mine. :)

all well and good -- and im sure going to be a top performer.

But for someone who has two 290's in their machine, I don't want 500W+ worth of heat being dumped into my case and just sitting there. Sure I have intake fans and exhaust fans, but that's just adding more money and more noise to a problem you thought you solved earlier.

Still love the blower style coolers -- I have both my 290s being fed cold air in and exhausted straight out the back, can't get more straight forward than that!

WoW
Super Alloy Power Tech
Such Cool
WoW
c09.jpg

What came in my mind when I read "Super Alloy Power Tech".

I hope they can get these out in a reasonable amount of time. I don't see what's taking so damn long with the non-reference coolers anyway.

I hope they can get these out in a reasonable amount of time. I don't see what's taking so damn long with the non-reference coolers anyway.

AMD for the first three months of a new GPU's release, the only ones that can be sold are the ones built at AMD's factories and sold to GPU venders for max profit, after three months GPU venders are allowed to just buy chips straight from AMD and put them into non-reference mobo's

But for the first three months, AMD makes a killing

Looks like 8+6 for power and down to two slots (from previous 3-slot designs).

I'd like to see their configuration for connections though. If it's just standard with 2 DVI and 1 DP 1 HDMI, then I don't think I'll be able to care.

Do want.

I can only hold out for non-reference R9 290s for so long...I've heard release dates anywhere from next week to mid January! If it's the latter then I'm going to buy some GTX 780s instead.

Ordered the 280x version of this. DOA. Waiting I n an RMA

My Asus 290 was DOA as far as I can tell. Fan spins but that's it, no POST. Been trying to update my mobo BIOS in case that's the issue but the damn thing refuses to boot from a USB stick (tried 2 sticks and a couple of flash cards in a USB reader, also different boot disk software) so just have to RMA it and hope it is not a compatibility issue.

It's just ridiculous we have to wait so long to get non-reference cooled cards. I'm definitely interested in a TwinFrozer MSI R9 290. :rolleyes:

My Asus 290 was DOA as far as I can tell. Fan spins but that's it, no POST. Been trying to update my mobo BIOS in case that's the issue but the damn thing refuses to boot from a USB stick (tried 2 sticks and a couple of flash cards in a USB reader, also different boot disk software) so just have to RMA it and hope it is not a compatibility issue.

check to make sure you arent in UEFI mode, that will stop a MBR boot.

check to make sure you arent in UEFI mode, that will stop a MBR boot.

Nah, literally just got the BIOS flashed using a stick I borrowed from work and it hasn't helped. Other than the fan spinning, the card is toast as far as I can tell - already tried more troubleshooting than most would bother to do, now it's going back.

i asuume you tried it in a different machine?

Negative - that would be handy but I can't really plug it into any old PC, and everyone I know has either moved to consoles and/or laptops or simply has a very outdated rig. If it doesn't work in my Sandy Bridge then it's of no use to me anyway.

I'll have to RMA - in the unlikely event it is not defective I will just have to take a refund instead of a replacement.

if you cant find a PCIe machine, any one will do, then those machines are REALLY outdated, as in AGP.

yikes.

lol

if you cant find a PCIe machine, any one will do, then those machines are REALLY outdated, as in AGP.

yikes.

lol

Yeah they are that old, excluding the machines at work (which I'm not about to plug a 250w card into). Like I say, consoles and laptops.
At the end of the day there's not a lot of point checking it in a different PC - it's a compatible system (broadly speaking, there are always anomalies) which is rock-stable. It's not a fresh build where I'm trying to isolate a faulty component, just a simple switch from a GTX580 to a R9 290.
Regardless, they will test the card as part of the returns process.

Did you try to reset the cmos to update the DMI data pool for the new card?

I wanna see some mantle benches first!

Here here! Problem is, BF4 is the mantle flagship, and BF4 performance in general is such an abortion I don't know if AMD is 100% comfortable with them being the first ones out of the gate at this point with it.

Haha indeed I had a wicked time last mobo I rma'd. And dont get me started on my g53sw laptop and the shit power connector design issue. I would like to see aftermarket versions out for sure on these cards.

Here here! Problem is, BF4 is the mantle flagship, and BF4 performance in general is such an abortion I don't know if AMD is 100% comfortable with them being the first ones out of the gate at this point with it.

I have my popcorn ready for this. :D

the DCU2 design is possibly my favorite with the windforce being a close second as far as after market coolers go.

the DCU2 design is possibly my favorite with the windforce being a close second as far as after market coolers go.

Well the windforce 3 blows on the 280x, runs way hot and the last 6" of the card sags badly.

My 280x Matrix Plat was doa as well. I spent 3 hours trying everything I could over and over again, even resetting bios more times than I count.

I may go with a sapphire 290 this go around.

Well the windforce 3 blows on the 280x, runs way hot and the last 6" of the card sags badly.

My 280x Matrix Plat was doa as well. I spent 3 hours trying everything I could over and over again, even resetting bios more times than I count.

I may go with a sapphire 290 this go around.

I haven't tried sapphire yet, I've just had great kick with msi/asus, if they are terrible I'll give sapphire a shot.

Yeah they are that old, excluding the machines at work (which I'm not about to plug a 250w card into). Like I say, consoles and laptops.
At the end of the day there's not a lot of point checking it in a different PC - it's a compatible system (broadly speaking, there are always anomalies) which is rock-stable. It's not a fresh build where I'm trying to isolate a faulty component, just a simple switch from a GTX580 to a R9 290.
Regardless, they will test the card as part of the returns process.

I had the same problem with my Sapphire and it was power delivery. Use a 6 pin connector from the PSU, then connect 2 standard 12v connectors (each on it's own cable) to the supplied adaptor cable and it should be GTG.

Should we expect these to launch @ $399, $449, or god forbid $500?

The ref 290 is now $449 on Newegg.

same thing happened to me. Updated bios and it didn't fix it. Only got it to work a few times as an add in card. Will probe get it back in 2 weeks or so, which sucks

The ref cards are straight from AMD, right? So not necessarily a problem with ASUS... I hope.

If you have to RMA directly to Asus, then I pity you. I will add you in my prayers tonight hoping that it actually goes smoothly and doesn't take 4 months of BS and blaming you for breaking it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:...

I don't know why anyone who frequents this forum still chooses to give that company their money...I used to buy a TON of Asus stuff, but after all the posts about their horrible CS and RMA processes, I made a vow that I wouldn't give them another penny until things changed.

If you have to RMA directly to Asus, then I pity you. I will add you in my prayers tonight hoping that it actually goes smoothly and doesn't take 4 months of BS and blaming you for breaking it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:...

I don't know why anyone who frequents this forum still chooses to give that company their money...I used to buy a TON of Asus stuff, but after all the posts about their horrible CS and RMA processes, I made a vow that I wouldn't give them another penny until things changed.

Well said, I finally replaced my ASUS monitor and I'm now completely free of ASUS... I will never throw money their way again.

Back