Asus ProArt PQ22UC 21.6" 4K OLED

Paperlaunch again? Where the hell is PA32U from last year? Still not released....

Anyone catch when this is suppose to release? Definitely will buy one.

Ugg, just has USB-C and mini-HDMI ports. I haven't done the math in a while, but I am pretty sure HDMI 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth to run 4K/60Hz/10 bit color and HDR without dropping down the chroma. :( So this display may only be run meaningfully from a laptop with USB-C.

Ugg, just has USB-C and mini-HDMI ports. I haven't done the math in a while, but I am pretty sure HDMI 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth to run 4K/60Hz/10 bit color and HDR without dropping down the chroma. :( So this display may only be run meaningfully from a laptop with USB-C.

Yes, but it notably has two USB-C ports. Asus' older portable USB-C monitor, the MB169C+, uses Displayport alt-mode. As mentioned in the support docs, that means you can use a Displayport to USB-C cable... in theory, except that the monitor also needs power and that isn't supplied by any DP ports. However, since this new display has TWO USB-C ports, conceivably you could do one USB-C charging cable for power, and the second DP to USB-C for data. Alternatively, perhaps there is a DP to USB-C adapter that provides power. There's literally no support or spec information on Asus' site yet so it's hard to say for sure what the USB-C ports support and I always have to laugh when I watch a video and hear the words 'oh you have data over usb-c'. That doesn't tell me anything man, there's like 1334242345 ways data goes over USB-C.

Fucking USB-C spec dumpster fire.

So is this made for some weird niche use we don't know about or are they just retarded?

Made for travelling artists/content creators with laptops from what I see.

They could have done miniDP, but I think that's on the way out tbh, and as long as one of the USB-C ports supports DP alt mode it's pretty much the same thing with a different connector, anyway. It probably does, I doubt they would restrict this to Thunderbolt-only.

I'm sure the reason they didn't put full size DP on it is because that would make it thicker which is not what you want in a portable product.

The port placement is not ideal but you can probably work around that with right angle/low profile connectors if need be.

Not sure if accurate but Linus said in his video on the monitor that it's supposed to be under $1K.

IF true that's a pretty huge step forward for the desktop monitor OLED market, even at 21.6", $1K is less than 1/3 the price of the short lived Dell UP3017Q and it says a lot about the efficiency of JOLED's manufacturing.

Could be. JOLED are seeking to raise funds, so for them it's not so important to make profits with these panels but to show their printing technology is feasible and products are good. However, volumes will be low until they get their mass production line online or technology licensed to other manufacturers, so you better pick up one when you can, this is likely the best consumer monitor you can buy this decade.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...llion-investment-in-joled-kyodo-idUSKBN1EK06Q

Let's hope they make it, their printing technology is really our best chance to get OLED monitors widely available any time soon. The manufacturing method Samsung et al. are using to produce small- to medium-sized panels doesn't scale well to larger displays whereas the WOLED technology LG are employing isn't really suitable for monitors.

Back