ASUS PG279Q 144hz 1440P IPS G-Sync

There has been no news about this monitor huh?
That stinks. We'll have oled monitors by the time it's out.

Yup, I am also finding the lack of news agitating. I am desperate to buy a new monitor now as anything will be an upgrade over the shitty display I have at the moment. But on the other hand I am torn by the QC issues and ugly case of the XB270HU as well as the fact that there is about to be a significant improvement in choice in the coming months, I can see myself settling on the XB270HU and very soon regretting not waiting for the Acer X34 or Asus PG279Q.

Same boat, considering paying a premium to get it locally and just go back and forth returning it until I have a decent one.

Right now its the QC thats holding me back from buying. It seems a ton of them have problems, mostly screen wise. What the hell is happening to these companies?

Would settle for any news about this monitor... a release date would be great to know. Not sure what hold up is, can only assume it's licensing and Acer have exclusivity on this panel for now. QC on that is terrible though, plus it looks cheap. That said, the original Swift had many horror stories surrounding it regarding QC issues, so hopefully they get this one right. They can't be ignorant and oblivious of all the complaints against the Acer, so this is a great opportunity for them.

I'm in the same boat. Waiting for this to drop so i can see which way to go. Although i came close to getting Acer quite a few times by now, i told myself not to push the (buy) button. I hope Asus will get quality part right, i don't feel like returning 3-4 monitors in order to get a good one.
What worries me most though is that if i get one of these two i'll be kicking myself later for not going bigger, 3440x1440 or 4k. But either way, whatever i end up buying will be huge upgrade for me.

What worries me most though is that if i get one of these two i'll be kicking myself later for not going bigger, 3440x1440 or 4k. But either way, whatever i end up buying will be huge upgrade for me.
Yeah that concerned me also, but high refresh 3440p or 4K will need DP 1.3, and no sight of that yet (despite the spec being confirmed in September last year). Plus, even then we'll need Pascal/HBM2 to run it smoothly in a single card solution. So that's about a year away, nevermind the inevitable high cost. I think 1440p is going to be the sweetspot for some time yet, and I honestly don't think Ultrawide or 4K at 120/144Hz on an IPS panel is something we'll be seeing for a long while.

Right now, I would happily settle for a quality 1440p 144Hz IPS G-Sync panel free of horrendous BLB and glow issues. The Acer certainly isn't that, but fingers crossed the Asus can do better.

Unless OLED suddenly comes out the woodwork with something amazing that is... but I doubt that!

:)

Last edited:
I've already ordered two 980ti's and still don't have a 27" 1440p 144hz ips monitor because none of them have yet arrived to my country, rocking the old u2711 tank meanwhile..

Yeah that concerned me also, but high refresh 3440p or 4K will need DP 1.3, and no sight of that yet (despite the spec being confirmed in September last year). Plus, even then we'll need Pascal/HBM2 to run it smoothly in a single card solution. So that's about a year away, nevermind the inevitable high cost. I think 1440p is going to be the sweetspot for some time yet, and I honestly don't think Ultrawide or 4K at 120/144Hz on an IPS panel is something we'll be seeing for a long while.

Right now, I would happily settle for a quality 1440p 144Hz IPS G-Sync panel free of horrendous BLB and glow issues. The Acer certainly isn't that, but fingers crossed the Asus can do better.

Unless OLED suddenly comes out the woodwork with something amazing that is... but I doubt that!

:)

I doubt the Asus is going to do better when it comes to BLB and IPS glow. IIRC it will share the same panel as the Acer, meaning it will suffer from the same problems as the Acer. Asus didn't exactly do so stellar with the QA on the Swift so there's a chance that this monitor will also suffer from QA issues. If you want a monitor like the Acer then it's better to just get it rather than wait only to have to deal with the exact same problems. At least if you land a good monitor from Acer you can start enjoying it right here and now.

I doubt the Asus is going to do better when it comes to BLB and IPS glow. IIRC it will share the same panel as the Acer, meaning it will suffer from the same problems as the Acer. Asus didn't exactly do so stellar with the QA on the Swift so there's a chance that this monitor will also suffer from QA issues. If you want a monitor like the Acer then it's better to just get it rather than wait only to have to deal with the exact same problems. At least if you land a good monitor from Acer you can start enjoying it right here and now.
You may be right, but BLB is often caused by assembly issues, too tight bezel fitting etc. It won't necessarily be in all panels by default... IPS has typically never been a victim of BLB any more than VA or TN, but it seems a more recent trend for sure. IPS glow is inherent to the tech and most panels will have SOME degree of it, but as an owner of several IPS screens, if it's mild you hardly ever notice it. There is no excuse for dead/stuck pixels or dirt under the screen though... obviously.

There is no question that the Asus LOOKS better though. The Acer has a cheap feel and appearance, especially with that glossy piano black, certainly not worthy of a monitor with its price tag. So overall I'd say it's worth waiting unless you must have a monitor today and want to take a gamble on the Acer.

Whatever you do, ALWAYS ALWAYS buy a monitor from a retailer with a rock solid no quibble return policy, even if you have to pay a premium. It's just not worth the hassle otherwise!!

Whatever you do, ALWAYS ALWAYS buy a monitor from a retailer with a rock solid no quibble return policy, even if you have to pay a premium. It's just not worth the hassle otherwise!!

Was just asking this on another thread as well -- how are people's experiences with Newegg or Amazon in regards to displays and exchanges for things like stuck pixels or excessive backlight bleeding and the likes?

Spoke with Newegg earlier and they say they will pay return shipping on a monitor with 1 dead pixel.
In other words any manufacturer defect.

Obviously any B&M store would be even better.

There's no exact dates yet on when this monitor will hit the shelves right? I'm waiting for this before I make a purchase, I don't really want to go with Acer.

There's no exact dates yet on when this monitor will hit the shelves right? I'm waiting for this before I make a purchase, I don't really want to go with Acer.

Unless you find the glossy bezels on the Acer to be extremely distracting, you should just go for it. By now most of the QA issues have been addressed so you're more likely to land a good one. The Asus just may end up suffering from QA issues at launch like the original Swift so if you wait for that then you just spent months waiting only to play the panel lottery in the end anyway.

can't I just cut some matte electric tape in half and stick it to the glossy bezels ? :)

monitor finally arrived to my country and my itchy finger is hovering the buy button..

No, TFT Central says late 2015. :(

Furthermore:

914962de_PG279Q.png

Would settle for any news about this monitor... a release date would be great to know. Not sure what hold up is, can only assume it's licensing and Acer have exclusivity on this panel for now. QC on that is terrible though, plus it looks cheap. That said, the original Swift had many horror stories surrounding it regarding QC issues, so hopefully they get this one right. They can't be ignorant and oblivious of all the complaints against the Acer, so this is a great opportunity for them.

it is amazing how fast negative info can spread around the forums like a virus, and in this case on the Acer XB27HU.

There is nothing wrong with the Acer, most of the stuff people read on the net is way too exaggerated.

Only the first batch had some issues, I got the 2nd batch and it was a perfect panel. Right now 22 of my Steam friends also received their units in perfect form, their was mostly from 3rd batch and the latest 4th batch.

It is amazing how small negative info regarding the 1st batch can spread like a wildfire causing other forums readers scared to purchase theirs, lol.

People waiting for this Asus of the same panel are really wasting their time, The Asus Rog monitor was 100 times worse in terms of QC, go read about it, you are fooling your self if you think Asus version of the same Acer panel will be any better other than having a better stand.

A bit of topic but if You have new revision of Acer does it really do 120Hz ULMB ?

it is amazing how fast negative info can spread around the forums like a virus, and in this case on the Acer XB27HU.

There is nothing wrong with the Acer, most of the stuff people read on the net is way too exaggerated.

Only the first batch had some issues, I got the 2nd batch and it was a perfect panel. Right now 22 of my Steam friends also received their units in perfect form, their was mostly from 3rd batch and the latest 4th batch.

It is amazing how small negative info regarding the 1st batch can spread like a wildfire causing other forums readers scared to purchase theirs, lol.

People waiting for this Asus of the same panel are really wasting their time, The Asus Rog monitor was 100 times worse in terms of QC, go read about it, you are fooling your self if you think Asus version of the same Acer panel will be any better other than having a better stand.

It really was not worse. Acer has much worse problems and worse QC results, also some of the criticism comes from the fact that Acer is quite a bit worse in build quality, which adds insult to injury.

Whatever you care to say about Acer vs Asus QC, there is no getting away from the fact that the Acer XB270HU looks cheap... chunky bezel, cheap stand and vomit inducing glossy piano black. These things simply DO NOT belong on a premium monitor with a premium price tag. The Asus wins hands down here.

Agreed, for a premium monitor the housing and stand of the XB270HU look more like a cheap Chinese brand knock off. Make it look more like the X34 Predator and Acer would have a sure winner in my books.

Acer QC = exaggerated nonsense

Asus QC = ONE HUNDRED TIMES WORSE THAN ACER

gotcha

This monitor and I guess all 144hz monitors are insanely good. The smoothness of everything.

I had no idea what a difference it'd make.

Got one without dead pixels or blemishes, also.

edit : I got an XB270HU

Last edited:
I hope I'm wrong but I really think this monitor will also be plagued with QC issues. Lately every "premium" gaming monitor from the FG2421 to the PG278Q to the XB270HU have ALL have their own share of terrible QC problems. Seriously if you guys are holding back on the Acer and fully believing that this monitor won't have problems I hope you aren't wasting your time. The only reason I see to NOT get the Acer is if you are very distracted by it's ugly, glossy bezels. Other than that, in terms of what both monitors offer it's going to be the same. It would suck to wait months on end for the Asus believing that it's going to have a perfect QC free launch only to deal with QC problems anyway when you could've just dealt with it on the Acer right now.

Will there ever be a 1ms IPS panel?

I like the image quality, but hate the ghosting and lag.

Acer QC = exaggerated nonsense

Asus QC = ONE HUNDRED TIMES WORSE THAN ACER

gotcha

its true, Asus Rog had far more issues inside the panel than the Predator.

you can talk about the cheap stand all you want, ill give you that, but the panel I received and tons of my Steam friends were perfect, I cant say the same for the people I know with the Rog, because all of them had panel QC issues.

I don't think ANY monitor released over the past year or so hasn't had problems. I don't know what's going on, but it seems a universal policy amongst all manufacturers to put their entire QC department on extended leave. So yes, I am sure we will see issues with the Asus PG279Q as well unfortunately.

Bullshit. I got one of the second/third batches, and it had a solid vertical red line going down it. That monitor's QC is fucking dog shit.

Whatever you care to say about Acer vs Asus QC, there is no getting away from the fact that the Acer XB270HU looks cheap... chunky bezel, cheap stand and vomit inducing glossy piano black. These things simply DO NOT belong on a premium monitor with a premium price tag. The Asus wins hands down here.

And a horrid matte anti-reflection film belongs on a "premium monitor with a premium price tag"? The film used by Asus is a far worse offender than a "chunky bezel that's gloss".

And a horrid matte anti-reflection film belongs on a "premium monitor with a premium price tag"? The film used by Asus is a far worse offender than a "chunky bezel that's gloss".
You're referring to the film on the original ROG Swift TN (which was rubbish I agree)... there's no indication the new IPS one will feature that film, as they will use the same panel as in the Acer so would be unlikely to add anything to it... they would have no reason to. Asus received a lot of criticism for that decision on the original Swift, which they won't be ignorant of. Furthermore, in the several pics we've seen of this screen in the wild, it doesn't appear to have it either, albeit these being pre-production models. So I'll be VERY surprised if they end up using it again... we'll just have to wait and see.

Bullshit. I got one of the second/third batches, and it had a solid vertical red line going down it. That monitor's QC is fucking dog shit.

I searched your post history and i couldn't find any pics that you might have posted of this red vertical line, so please go troll somewhere else, 90% of your posts consist of bashing things that you might never even seen in person, all you doing is copy and paste things you read, spreading bs like a virus.

Last edited:
So, it seems like this AHVA panel has even wider gamut than the new ah-ips ones. Is it noticeable? Does it have a color space emulation in the srgb mode?

So if you want a 144hz g sync screen which one should we be saving up for bc I need a new screen! I'm on the fence about going to 27 currently@24

So if you want a 144hz g sync screen which one should we be saving up for bc I need a new screen! I'm on the fence about going to 27 currently@24

If you have the money now then get the Acer XB270HU only if you are ok with it's glossy bezels and overall look because appearance wise, it's not exactly the best especially when compared to the Swift. If you can wait for it and strongly prefer the look and matte finish on the Asus then just wait for that. No matter which one you buy though, you might end up having to return a few until you get a good one unfortunately since the QC from both Acer and Asus has been off lately...

I am struggling to think of ANY monitor release over the past year that hasn't been beset with QC issues, so I think it's rather unfair to single out Acer or Asus... they're all just as bad as one another. Even Dell, who have traditionally been very good in this area, had loads of issues with their curved ultra-wide (here in the UK anyway). I get the impression it's some sort of illogical and ill-thought cost saving initiative from the manufacturers, and they think they can get away with it. They'll only learn if we either stop buying their shoddy products, or kick up a stink en-masse by returning them until we get what we paid for. It's totally unacceptable at any price point really, nevermind what these premium screens cost.

I'm interested in having more than one input now that I'd actually have use for it, in hindsight. 120 Hz ULMB would be nothing to sneeze at either if that could make its way to the Asus. Maybe I'll buy three... to keep the least defective one and return the other two.

Back