Asus P8P67 Deluxe -Problem - No Post - Memory?

Sneak

Limp Gawd
Have an odd one. Built this system right after the B3 stepping came out. Has been just fine. Couple of days ago I booted up and it did not post, the system clicked, re-started, and still no post, just sat there. Note that I was NOT overclocking. I tried booting a few times and it finally got to the Bios F1 error which said something like, "Overclock has failed, press F1 to enter set up to correct." I did! When the bios came up it showed the I7 CPU at like 4800 +. I wasn't overclocking. Had not even been in the bios in some time, everything had been working fine. Before I could look around to see if there was an odd setting the comp re-booted. Came up with the same trouble. I thought about re-setting the CMOS but I got it back into the bios and real quick set it to defaults and saved. Everything worked fine and loaded into Windows 7 Pro. I re-booted back to the bios and set it back up with no overclocking and booted again. All was well.

The comp is on most of the day usually. The next morning the same thing happened. The LED had 45 on it. Not sure what that code is, not in the manual that I could find. The memory LED was on also. Went through the memory check routine, re-set CMOS, got into bios which had the same thing about overclock had failed. I7 was at about 3900 + this time. Got it too boot fine again, updated to the 2001 bios in case I had some bios glitch. All was well.

Next day, yesterday, the same thing. I have Gskill F3-12800CL8D DDR# 1600 memory. I have 2 sets for a total of 16 gigs. Started swapping out the sets. Basically with trial and error I took out the dimms in slots 2 and 4 and put them in 1 and 3. The comp would not boot with the other 2 dimms. OK figured they went bad. All was well, booted, no problem. Comped worked all day and I did re-boot a couple of times during the day.

This morning, same problem. LED code was 45, memory LED was on. I moved the 2 dimms from slot 1 and 3 and put them in 2 and 4. Everything came up just fine.

That's where I am right now. Any thoughts on this one? Do I have a memory problem or a motherboard issue, bios chip? Anything I can try to nail this down to cause? I fully expect this to happen in the morning as well. Have work to do on it so I will keep it on for now as it works. When it is up I can do anything on it including gaming or movies, no troubles.

Comp Specs: Asus P8P6 Deluxe
16 gig Gskill F3- 12800 CL8D this is a 1.5 v memory
Intel I7 processor
Corsair: AX 1200 power supply
EVGA: 580 GTX Superclocked video
Vertex 3 128 gig SSD
Crucial M4 256 gig SSD
Western Digital HD 640 gig
Creative Titanium HD sound
Corsair H70 CPU cooler
Samsung Blu-ray ROM

first thing I would do is look in CPUID SPD tab to see if RAM has XMP profile and more than one, if so try them
If it doesnt set ea profile option manually in bios

I guess you know Gskill specifically says 2 8GB RAM kits instead of 1 16GB kit will not run correctly

You could also try RAM at 1.55, 1.6 or 1.65V - wont hurt anything for a short time.

You could also set APM to power on PCIe

fwiw you are not alone in this kinda thing
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678336

this happens sometimes when i come back from sleep. There are some spurious charges floating around in the chipset.

unplug/turn off the power supply for 3 minutes, then restart.

this works for me.

Thanks for the reply guys. I actually thought of the XMP profile but have not tried those yet. Memory is set as Auto and has been for months. But will try the XMP setting and see what happens. Did not know the Gskill thing about 2 8 gig sets not working right. But when I bought the Dimms I could not find one 16 gig kit anyway. Maybe I should look now.

And if this pops up in the morning I will try the unplug idea and see how that goes. Is odd that this comp has been perfect for months and then all of a sudden Wham!

Any other thoughts out there?

Thought I would make a final post to this one. I changed the settings in the Bios to an XMP Profile right after the last post. The comp booted just fine with no errors. So I shut down and re-inserted the two Dimms of memory I had removed and thought might have gone bad. Back to a total of 16 gigs. The thing booted right up without even a hick up. I have been watching it since and it has not failed to boot and no F1 errors or memory LED light on the board shining at me.

Computers are something else, this one ran for months without so much as a twitch. And then all of a sudden this little thing. And now it is fine. Sometimes I think they are like kids just trying to get some attention. ;)

All is well for now.

Back