Asus P8P67 Deluxe and Marvel Sata Controller

Sneak

Limp Gawd
So the Intel 6g sata 3 on this board is way better than the Marvel. That is fairly known. I did a test with a Crucial M4 256. Plugged into the Marvel 6g port it gets :
Sequential Reads: 352
Sequential Write: 153
Random Read: 43803
Random Write: 26649

Plugged into an Intel 3g Sata it gets:
Sequential Reads: 284
Sequential Writes: 250
Random Read: 43606
Random Write: 47407

Pretty funny, the Intel Sata 2 gets better writes than the Marvel Sata 3 on the M4 though the sequential reads are better. So the question. This is an Asus P8p67 Deluxe and I have never updated the Marvel firmware or bios on this board. Has anyone done that and is there any chance I might get better writes? Or is this a case of "It is what it is"! Just FYI, the reads are more important to me but if those writes could go up...............................

Here is what I have on the Marvel right now
Vendor ID: 1B4B
Device ID: 9130
Revision: B1
Bios Version: 1.0.0.1029
Firmware: 2.2.0.1108
PCI Speed: 5 gbps
Config Sata: AHCI Mode

I guess no one has flashed this thing. There does seem to be one Marvel file on the Asus site but it is a few years old. Wonder if there is a newer one over at Marvel. But the Asus one might be the last safe one for this chip. Considering if I want to be the guinea pig. That old saying is running through my head right now....................................."If it ain't broke........................

I have a P8P67 board and 2500k sitting in a case (that i'd like to turn into a media server) that had the issue with some of the Sata ports not working. Was there ever a fix for them aside from not using them? Maybe I'm missing something, but I've tried looking into it with no success. Sorry for the thread hijack, I thought this may be a good place to ask!

I have a P8P67 board and 2500k sitting in a case (that i'd like to turn into a media server) that had the issue with some of the Sata ports not working. Was there ever a fix for them aside from not using them? Maybe I'm missing something, but I've tried looking into it with no success. Sorry for the thread hijack, I thought this may be a good place to ask!
There was a recall / exchange on them to get a board with fixed silicon. If you want to use that motherboard, add in a SATA controller. I you want a high performance one, add a PCIe 2.0 x8 6Gbps SAS controller like an LSI-9211-8i or equivalent. It'll have 2 SFF-8087 connectors and you can plug in 8 SATA drives to the controller. Most people use the IBM ServeRAID M1015 or Dell PERC H200/H310 and crossflash them into a LSI-9211-8i since they're generally pretty cheap used on eBay.

I think I have the ASrock version, the p67 Extreme 6, 6 total intel ports, 4 marvell. 4xintel sata2, and 2xintel sata3. The intel sata3 are your best bet for boot drives, I use the sata 2 for spinners and games ssd, seems to work OK. I do have a b3 revision though, so technically the marvel controller works, but its just awful.

Not sure if that helps at all, but I am also running the lastest BIOS available for the board, which is still from 2013 or so.

When it comes to BIOS and firmware flashing, the "if it ain't broke" rule almost always applies. To me, it's not worth the risk to brick something that is outside of warranty for minor gains in write speed which, as you stated, is merely a nice-to-have and the more important read speeds are still fine.

Back