[H]ard|Gawd
Current system:
Asus P6T Del
Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
4870X2
6GB DDR3
300GB VelociRaptor
Win XP 32 LOLOLOL!

This is, by far, the slowest booting computer I've had in the last decade.
I built this system a few months ago, and the boot time has sucked since day 1. My previous systems either had Raptors in them or whatever the 'fast' hard drive was at the time. I'd typically be up and running in Windows is less than 20 seconds.

This system takes about 40 seconds to be up and running. I initially had XP 64 on this system and the boot time was just as bad. I've seen other people complain about slow boot times with Vista as well. The biggest waste of time is at the XP Loading screen with the scrolling bar at the bottom. Before it would get across once, and then I would start loading my desktop. Now I'm sitting there as it scrolls about 15 times. The hard drive is idle the majority of the time.

I'm guessing it's doing some sort of hardware/peripheral discovery process and I hope there's some way of turning this off or at least decreasing the timeout.

I have the latest drivers for my hardware, I have the latest BIOS from Asus, I also have all unnecessary and unused devices disabled in the BIOS. Before overclocking the boot time was still about 40 seconds.

Any ideas on why the boot time is so terrible?

Mine also boots up like a crummy old PC as well.

My Dell P4 booted up several times faster than this new i7 build.

Once the Asus build is done booting up and windows is loaded, it's very fast and smokes my old PC. I've gotten used to the slow boot-up as I only start-up once a day.

sometimes slow boots on the X58 are a result of memory issues. So try manually setting your timings, voltages and frequencies.

Yea I just got one and noticed that too... not a big deal because I leave mine running and just suspend to S3 Sleep when I'm done with it... only time I'll see the BIOS is if I restart for whatever reason.

I thought it was broken at first, I hit the power button and 4-5 seconds went by before it got a video-signal and showed the expressgate stuff, I just disabled that and now it takes 2-3 seconds before I see the BIOS screen...

I built a P5Q Pro for a friend and that one was ridiculously fast getting through boot... 30 seconds to boot into Windows XP with a single 640GB drive from the moment you hit the power button...

I just read the problem is hardware related, so it's unlikely any BIOS update will fix it.

sometimes slow boots on the X58 are a result of memory issues. So try manually setting your timings, voltages and frequencies.
If you had memory timing issues you wouldn't have a slow boot, you just wouldn't boot or at least crash shortly after booting.

The first long time before BIOS beep is due to the SSD linux-OS they have implemented I guess...but my rig boots just fine, did you remeber to disable all the controllers/busses you don't use, like SAS, floppy eg.?

That's fine.
The bigger part of the problem is I'm staring at the XP Loading screen for over 20 seconds when on my previous systems it would only show maybe three seconds.

Back