Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

especialy the silentpcreview link is interesting with the power and hd testing. thx for the link.

made another grid with one of the pictures out of the reviewes. It seems to be without distortion. The grid is again 1x1 cm.
grid2.jpg

-considering the mb with the igp: he gave only 55 points

-but with a external graphic card:
"With discrete graphics acceleration, things could only get better. Clockspeeds scaled as high as other "Mainstream" chipsets, putting the CPU right against its FSB wall. The "Q-Fan" control did a great job too, and for the few days we ran the P5E-VM HDMI, it was a refreshing experience, as everyone could work without fan noise polluting the test labs.

The thought of getting one of these for an overclocked, mini LANParty-rig is just so lovely that I may just start buying hardware, all over again"

http://resources.vr-zone.com/yantronic/p5evm/85.gif

Yeah, I knew the overall final score was 85. Just wasnt sure what his gripe was about DX10.

I just received my Lian Li V-350 case, my P5E-VM HDMI showed up yesterday.

The case is beautiful but the 8800 Ultra won’t fit. The goofy hump in the GPU heat sink design will not clear the bottom of the hard drive shelf. My other SFF setup has an 8800 GTX KO in it so I guess I’ll swap it out with that.

I measured around five inches of room between the top of the CPU socket and the bottom of where the power supply will end up. It looks like I will be able to get the SI-128 SE with a 120mm fan mounted between the heat sink and PSU.

The case is beautiful but the 8800 Ultra won’t fit. The goofy hump in the GPU heat sink design will not clear the bottom of the hard drive shelf.

just cut out a little bit from the hard drive shelf if you don´t need it for two hd´s.

just cut out a little bit from the hard drive shelf if you don´t need it for two hd´s.

That’s a thought, but I cringe when I think of cutting this case.

I just ordered my board from Newegg for $135. Not a bad price at all. Going to put it in the NZXT Rouge. I think the black PCB will look a lot better in there than the red PCB with the F-I90HD.

I did some test fitting with the components tonight. The P5E-VM HDMI, Seasonic M-12, Thermalright SI-128 SE (Scythe S-FLEX 120mm fan) and V-350 seem to go together nice, with a little room to spare.

I changed my plans a little and decided to stick the 8800 Ultra “SuperClocked” in my SG-03 setup, which I upgraded with a P5E-VM HDMI also. This V-350 setup will now use an E6850 CPU and an ATI 3870 video card. I have a buyer for my 8800 GTX KO so I decided to have one ATI based machine and an Nvidia one.

For anyone who’s interested, I’ll put up some pics of how the 8800 GTX fits in this case also.

v350test1ql2.jpg

v350test2go4.jpg

v350test3yt5.jpg

nice pics. thx. Can you mount the SI 128 se rotated 180° or will it hit the Ram? I would remove the fan grid.

Can you mount the SI 128 se rotated 180° or will it hit the Ram? I would remove the fan grid.

Actually after playing around with it last night some more it looks like it will have to be installed with the heat pipes toward the top of the motherboard.

Has anyone been successful in running this board with 4 GB of RAM at 4-4-4-12?

I cannot run 4 sticks of 1024MB Corsair 6400C4 with this board unless the timings are loosened up.

Out of curiosity, djt, how loose are you running them? Might want to shoot Pvhk a personal message and see if he's done it with 4x1Gb RAM @ 4-4-4-12 and if he has which RAM he used to do it.

I know if you try manually setup 4-4-4-12 in the BIOS, CPU-Z will report 3-4-4-12. I think we have to wait for another BIOS version to get it right.

I was running Kingston HyperX 9600 | 4x1GB | 5-5-5-15 @ 4-4-4-12.
At the moment i´m running 2x2GB Adata 5-5-5-15 but i testsed them with 4-4-4-12 and had no problems...

Does anyone have problems with bios 0301? With that bios my pc won´t do any restarts. With bios 0202 i don´t have thos problems.

Any ideas on what I should do to get my modules to run at 4-4-4-12?

I just tried my other four sticks of Corsair Dominator, same problem as with XMS modules. This same memory ran fine at 4-4-4-12 in an Nvidia 680i SLI board.

The voltage on the RAM is set to the Corsair recommended 2.10 volts.

They will run at 4-4-4-12 when only 2 modules (2GB) are installed.

as i was testing the HyperX 9600 i had to increase the northbridge voltage to 1,38V manually as i reached the 1050 MHz to get them stable. (i hadn´t to do it with 2 modules)

I only see 1.37v and 1.39v but no 1.38v option?

Do you think I’ll have to go this high with the voltage or should I try something lower first.

I started with 1.35V (if i remember correctly) and increased then up to 1,39V. But i had an extra fan for the NB.

I started with 1.35V (if i remember correctly) and increased then up to 1,39V. But i had an extra fan for the NB.

Well I gave that a try also, no go.

The odd thing is that I also have had this same RAM working (all 4GB) at 4-4-4-12 with an X38 chipset based board also.

Does anyone have problems with bios 0301? With that bios my pc won´t do any restarts. With bios 0202 i don´t have thos problems.

Mine came with 0301 and I have some problem when restarting sometimes. After restart it will stay on a black screen. I have to switch off/on again. Sometimes it prompt me with last overclocking was bad then press F1 to enter setup and I only have to enter and save (so same settings) and it restart fine.

It also happened once from a cold start in the morning.

Any ideas on what I should do to get my modules to run at 4-4-4-12?
Like I just wrote a few messages above, when you set 4-4-4-12 in BIOS 0301, CPU-Z will report 3-4-4-12. I don't know with other BIOS version. Yet I was not able to get 4-4-4-12 with current version.

Mine came with 0301 and I have some problem when restarting sometimes. After restart it will stay on a black screen. I have to switch off/on again. Sometimes it prompt me with last overclocking was bad then press F1 to enter setup and I only have to enter and save (so same settings) and it restart fine.

It also happened once from a cold start in the morning.

That´s exactly the same what happens with my board and bios 0301. Even this overclocking failure. I tried it 4-5 times to install 0301. First thought there was a problem during installation because the first restart after installing doesn´t work. With bios 0202 I don´t have such problems. And the cold start works too.

That´s exactly the same what happens with my board and bios 0301. Even this overclocking failure. I tried it 4-5 times to install 0301. First thought there was a problem during installation because the first restart after installing doesn´t work. With bios 0202 I don´t have such problems. And the cold start works too.

I had this same problem with my gigabyte G33.

no issues like that on my DS2R

Same thing here.

I have two Asus P5E-VM HDMI setups, one with an ATI 3870 and one with an Nvidia 8800 Ultra. Both are intermediately giving me the “black screen” problem, it seems to be doing it more on the ATI setup.

I had a Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R setup going before switching over the Asus G35 board and never experienced this problem with the Gigabyte board.

Maybe you can this, I wrote this in another forum but got no reply.

I tried to play with CPU voltage damper. Just enter the BIOS and change it's value (no matter what) and then F10 to save & exit. I get a black screen, need to reboot and enter the BIOS to do the F10 again.

But when I changed the CPU voltage I got a proper reset and booted fine. So some value do like a soft reset that hand and some do a hard reset with proper procedure.

Back