Asus P5B and Intel SASUC8I

mamruoc

n00b
Hello,

Unsure if this is the correct subsection, but this was the closes one that I felt was correct.
In the Asus P5B manual, it says that the mainboard supports PCIe x16 graphic cards. My question is if it is possible to use the PCIe x16 slot to install the Intel HBA (which is PCIe x8)?

I do not wish buy the HBA and end up being "forced" to buy a new system...

Here at work I have an SASUC8I in a PCIe x16 slot on an ASUS P5Q Pro and I have also used other SASUC8Is in an ASUS M2N SLI deluxe PCIe x16 slot and an Intel D945PVS again in the graphics slot.

Here at work I have an SASUC8I in a PCIe x16 slot on an ASUS P5Q Pro and I have also used other SASUC8Is in an ASUS M2N SLI deluxe PCIe x16 slot and an Intel D945PVS again in the graphics slot.

Thanks, I read some other place that it might be a problem, but since you've tested with 2 ASUS mainboards, I guess it should be ok then...

Thanks, I read some other place that it might be a problem, but since you've tested with 2 ASUS mainboards, I guess it should be ok then...

Ok, I have now received the Intel SASUC8I and guess what. Somehow during the installation process, my videocard does not seem to work anymore. I used an old PCI graphic card, to test I installed a PCI-ex x16 card, still no picture :-(

This happend after I installed the Intel SASUC8i card, unsure if there are any relation or only a coincidence in time.

Anyway, the ASUS P5B does have a nice green light telling the motherboard got power, when I start the machine without RAM, BIOS starts beeping. But the BIOS does not beep either way if the graphic card is installed or not.

Anybody been through this before or have any ideas/suggestions?

Maybe try flashing the latest BIOS on the P5B.

I tried to reset the BIOS, that did not help. I guess I have to look in the manual in case I got a second backup BIOS (some ASUS motherboards was equipped with two BIOS if I remember correctly).

It's a bit hard to flash the BIOS in the dark though...

*phew*

I have now got the server up and running again.

This is for others that may come in the same situation like me.

After searching around, I found page helping me to narrow down what the problem was. It turned out to be both the PSU and the graphic card.

Installing "new" PCI graphic card and new PSU, the server was up and running.

However, P5B is not happily entering BIOS when the Intel raid card is installed, booting from USB CD was also problematic. Booting from disk configured in BIOS worked like a charm, so, to be able to install I had to detach the Intel card, install the OS and then shutdown, re-attach the card for setting up the raid. Not straight forward, but nothing biggie. :D

I tried to reset the BIOS, that did not help. I guess I have to look in the manual in case I got a second backup BIOS (some ASUS motherboards was equipped with two BIOS if I remember correctly).

It's a bit hard to flash the BIOS in the dark though...

I meant to pull out the SAS card and put the machine back to pre SAS status for the flash.

I see you have found a solution and the problem was not what I had thought...

Thanks anyway, at that point, I was so close in ordering a new system, luckily it was weekend so I gave myself today and saturday to try to fix it or I would order something on sunday :)

Do you encountered the entering BIOS or booting from USB problem as I have?

I was a little bit too quick.

My ASUS P5B seems to not be able to boot from any devices when the Intel SASUC8I card is installed. I can neither enter the BIOS menu. I do however see the POST screen and can fully read the initialization of the Intel card. Pressing [DEL] results in a darkgrey screen when the BIOS screen is supposed to show. Same result when I let the computer startup up without any interruption. When grub/any-other-loader is supposed to show, I get a darkgrey screen.

There are 2 ways to boot / run an OS (same for hdd or usb):
a) detach the Intel card
b) press [ctrl]+'c' to enter the Intel card configuration. it will not enter any configuration, but boot from the hdd/usb setup in BIOS.

I tried to enable catch i19h interrupt for PCI bus, but the system gives me a darkgrey screen when hitting [ctrl]+'c' for entering the Intel configuration.

Reading around the web, it seems to me that ASUS seems to have big problems with non-graphiccard in the PCIe x16 slot...

Final follow-up on this topic: I solved the problem (like many other before me) by buying a Gigabyte (GIGABYTE GA-G41M-Combo), and that'll be the end of my loyalty to ASUS.

LOL because they made one product that didn't work like you thought it would? It's not an ASUS issue, it's a P45 issue (the chipset on the motherboard, made by Intel). ASUS makes the motherboard, they do not make all of the components attached to it, they definetly don't make Northbridge chipsets.

Dustin

LOL because they made one product that didn't work like you thought it would? It's not an ASUS issue, it's a P45 issue (the chipset on the motherboard, made by Intel). ASUS makes the motherboard, they do not make all of the components attached to it, they definetly don't make Northbridge chipsets.

Dustin

Hehehe, you're correct. It might sound like I am overreacting, but nowadays I use either my laptop(s) or pad(s) to do what I need to do, so good old desktops are not a thing I buy anymore. With that in mind, it is easy for me to decide not to use ASUS more, but rather more server quality motherboards. :)

Btw, you knew it was a P45 chipset problem, where were you when I needed you? I have struggled to get a Gigabyte Intell 775 socket card, while I could easily get an ASUS non-P45 card over night shipped :(

If it's truly a P45 chipset problem, it is kinda strange that drescherjm have a working system using an ASUS P5Q Pro...

The P5Q Pro works well at that. I have 8 drives on the SASUC8I and 4 or 5 drives on the motherboard ports. I am not sure what graphics card I am using. That could even be a pci card since it does not make much a difference the terminal.

I likewise have a P5Q Pro with a SASUC8I card, and a PCI graphics card. It's a geforce 6200. I couldn't see taking up a PCIe slot with a graphics card. I have the SASUC8I in the first of the two full PCIe slots, and an intel NIC in one of the PCIe 1x slots. I'm hoping to eventually add a second SASUC8I in the other full PCIe slot. As far as I can tell, when the two x16 slots are populated in that board, they run at x8, which should still be enough for the SASUC8I card?

I likewise have a P5Q Pro with a SASUC8I card, and a PCI graphics card. It's a geforce 6200. I couldn't see taking up a PCIe slot with a graphics card. I have the SASUC8I in the first of the two full PCIe slots, and an intel NIC in one of the PCIe 1x slots. I'm hoping to eventually add a second SASUC8I in the other full PCIe slot. As far as I can tell, when the two x16 slots are populated in that board, they run at x8, which should still be enough for the SASUC8I card?

I had an geforce 5800, the "main" difference I could see between P5B and P5Q Pro is that P5Q Pro has two PCIe x16 slots, maybe by having this option, and still one PCIe x16 free, P5Q Pro can operate as usual, the interesting part is when using both PCIe x16 combined with an PCI graphic card.

Good luck, and please post back with your results!

Back