Asus P4P800-E Deluxe: Opinions?

TekMonkey

n00b
I'm pretty set on the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe board to accompany my new 2.8ghz northwood. What are other people's opinion of this board? Any reason not to get it?

its actually a good mobo, you can probally oc the memory on the asus higher than the max3. both good mobos, its just the max3 has a problem with memory over 2.8v :(

Bugalaman said:
It sucks, the Abit IC7-Max 3 is better.

well duh!
For nearly 1/2 the price of the IC7 MaxIII the P4P800-E DLX is a great mid range mobo for a semi enthusiast, for the ppl who want a semi good/great mobo without having to dish out a whole lot of cash, the P4P800-E DLX is a great board.

2x SATA slots
IDE RAID
Intel 865PE Chipset
Dual-Channel DDR400 Memory
Intel Hyper-Threading Technology
ASUS Intelligence Features
Firewire
ICH5R with Integrated SATA and RAID 0
Multi RAID
up to 8 USB ports

The board is a great P4 board for it's price. The only beef I have with it, is the lack of 2 more SATA slots, but other than that this board is reall good for price and features.

I currently have only one SATA drive and am not planning on getting any more in the near future, so thats not a problem.

Bugalaman -- if I could afford a MaxIII, I would get it. Just because the Max III is a better board doesn't automatically mean every other one sucks. :rolleyes:

Enlighten me please.

What makes the IC7-MAX3 so much better than the P4P800-E Deluxe?

I'm not disputing anything. I just want to understand what makes one motherboard better than the other because I'm not versed in this subject. And I am also trying to choose a solid (stable) board to build with a 2.8C processor.

im very happy with my refurbed $76 P4C800E Delux

I haven;t had a good Asus mobo like this since my A7V-133

I would also like to know why the abit is better then the asus, they appear to be very similar.

The Max 3 has an 875 chipset whereas the p4p800 has an 865 chipset. Also the Max 3 has some features the P4P800 doesn't have, like 6x sata

And I wouldn't say abit is better than asus, but in this case, the abit motherboard seems to be better overall.

I was originally going to get the Asus P4800-E Deluxe too, but I ended up going with the Abit IC7-Max3 and I love it.

IC7-Max3 isn't necessarily better. It has problems using 5:4 divider at 270-280 FSB and only 2.8 Vdimm. P4C800-E Deluxe is probably the best Intel board out there right now after you do a droop mod. P4P800-E Deluxe isn't a bad board either but I don't see how it is better than the Abit AI7.

DaveX said:
IC7-Max3 isn't necessarily better. It has problems using 5:4 divider at 270-280 FSB and only 2.8 Vdimm. P4C800-E Deluxe is probably the best Intel board out there right now after you do a droop mod. P4P800-E Deluxe isn't a bad board either but I don't see how it is better than the Abit AI7.

I dumped my P4P800-Dlx (non-E) for the AI7 and couldn't be happier. I can run my 2.8C at 265fsb w/ram @ 1:1 with the AI7. Couldn't break 245 with my p4p800-d though (even with droop and vdimm mods). Same components, just different mb. However, I highly doubt that every P4P800-Dlx would have the same results that mine did. I did love it when I had it though...very fast board. Stable too (aside from the droop voltage and vdimm being a max of 2.85).

The Abit AI7 was the other board I was considering, but most everybody I've asked didn't have any problems with either one and couldn't say which was better. The P4P800 had some better features, so ...

Wedge said:
Enlighten me please.

What makes the IC7-MAX3 so much better than the P4P800-E Deluxe?

I'm not disputing anything. I just want to understand what makes one motherboard better than the other because I'm not versed in this subject. And I am also trying to choose a solid (stable) board to build with a 2.8C processor.

Abit is NOT better than Asus. I've built alot of systems with both branded boards. I have had nothing but trouble out of Abit. Inconsistant quality and stability issues to say nothing of an actual DOA rate that I've experienced.

Asus on the other hand, feels better quality. It looks like the manufacturing of the board was done better vs. Abit. Also I've never had stability issues with Asus, nor have I EVER received a DOA Asus board.

Now the layout and sometimes the feature set of the Abit board is undoubtedly superior. Also Abit's choice of RAID controllers is better. The Highpoint controllers are alot better than the Promise ones. Also I've had compatibility issues with memory modules and Abit boards more than any other manufacturer of I865 and I875 boards. That issue even goes back to my experiences with the KT7 series.

Really what brand is prefered has to do with experiences and personal preference. I would stick an Intel board in my system before an Abit. Point is get what suits your tastes and feature requirements.

Both are considered roughly comparable with similar feature sets, reputations and stability. Both are really the top enthusiest boards in the market right now.

But the comment that Abit is superior to Asus is absolutley untrue.

TekMonkey said:
The Max 3 has an 875 chipset whereas the p4p800 has an 865 chipset. Also the Max 3 has some features the P4P800 doesn't have, like 6x sata

And I wouldn't say abit is better than asus, but in this case, the abit motherboard seems to be better overall.

You only need *that* many SATA connections if you are *not* going to connect your SATA HD in series (and since SATA is designed for just that, needing any more than *two* SATA connectors is seriously silly). What it comes down to is 865PE vs. 875P..

1. Most 875P mobos support Gigabit Ethernet *and* optional WiFi. The 865 supports at most Fast Ethernet.

2. Most 875P boards support RAID (SATA or SATA/PATA RAID, either singly or together). Again, this is something the 865PE lacks.

And, lest we forget, *ASUS* makes *two* 875P mobos (the P4C 800 Deluxe and P4C 800 E Deluxe). The dealmaker (in my case) was gigabit Ethernet (and I bought the 800E because it supports *Intel* gigabit Ethernet via CSA, vs 3Com gigabit via the PCI bus on the 800 Deluxe). By going 865PE, he not only rejected ABIT's MAX3, but both of ASUS' 875P solutions.

He simply chooses not to buy features he won't use.

Can't blame him for that.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Abit is NOT better than Asus. I've built alot of systems with both branded boards. I have had nothing but trouble out of Abit. Inconsistant quality and stability issues to say nothing of an actual DOA rate that I've experienced.

Asus on the other hand, feels better quality. It looks like the manufacturing of the board was done better vs. Abit. Also I've never had stability issues with Asus, nor have I EVER received a DOA Asus board.

Now the layout and sometimes the feature set of the Abit board is undoubtedly superior. Also Abit's choice of RAID controllers is better. The Highpoint controllers are alot better than the Promise ones. Also I've had compatibility issues with memory modules and Abit boards more than any other manufacturer of I865 and I875 boards. That issue even goes back to my experiences with the KT7 series.

Really what brand is prefered has to do with experiences and personal preference. I would stick an Intel board in my system before an Abit. Point is get what suits your tastes and feature requirements.

Both are considered roughly comparable with similar feature sets, reputations and stability. Both are really the top enthusiest boards in the market right now.

But the comment that Abit is superior to Asus is absolutley untrue.

And when you *do* have a problem with your ASUS motherboard, it's not rocket science to RMA it, either. How many motherboard manufacturers let the end user RMA the board back to them directly? So far, I know of but two: ASUS and Intel. It's why I've stuck with ASUS, and why I *still* recommend ASUS.

Although, my Asus 865PE MB (P4P800-Deluxe) supports both PATA and SATA RAID as well as Gigabit LAN!

SkaarjMaster said:
Although, my Asus 865PE MB (P4P800-Deluxe) supports both PATA and SATA RAID as well as Gigabit LAN!

But doesn't have ECC support an AGP Pro socket or real Intel Performance Acceleration Technology. Although they have a method for producing the same results.

And none of those features mean a damn thing becuase most people won't use them. The only reason in my opinion to get an I875 board is for the PAT and because it seems to me that people get better FSB clocks out of the I875 based boards. But I've still seen some healthy I865 overclocks.

PGHammer said:
You only need *that* many SATA connections if you are *not* going to connect your SATA HD in series (and since SATA is designed for just that, needing any more than *two* SATA connectors is seriously silly). What it comes down to is 865PE vs. 875P..

1. Most 875P mobos support Gigabit Ethernet *and* optional WiFi. The 865 supports at most Fast Ethernet.

2. Most 875P boards support RAID (SATA or SATA/PATA RAID, either singly or together). Again, this is something the 865PE lacks.

Can't blame him for that.

Not bashing or anything, but 865PE boards can support Gigabit LAN AND WiFi (P4P800-D has optional WiFi header on board). They can also support RAID. Both via IC5HR and onboard 3rd party controllers (Again, Asus P4P800-D). My AI7 supports RAID via IC5HR, but no 3rd party onboard controller.

So to say that 865PE lacks those two things is not entirely true. It's up to the board manufacturer to put on those features. Abit mistakenly installed 3Com gigabit lan on the first batches of the IS7 that went out. I had one of those too. And to be honest, and to back up the statement made of needing more than two SATA connectors, why use a 3rd party RAID controller when you can get just as good if not better performance from the IC5HR??? Unless you have a need for a multiple RAID system...

I see the deciding factor for chosing a system/board to be PAT and features. However, when I got my AI7, I couldn't get a i875P board with the same features for even close to the same price...otherwise I'd own a P4C800E-D :)

What the i875P has over the i865PE is ECC support and true PAT. That's it. Both chipsets can be paired with the ICH5 or ICH5R Southbridge.

Asus's P4C800-Deluxe and P4C800-E Deluxe are proof of that. As the difference is in the ICH5 and ICH5R southbridge chips being the main difference. Why Asus chose to impliment the 3Com Gigabit Lan over the Intel on the CSA bus is beyond me. Other than the 3Com solution is more full featured it is slower.

Besides Gigabit ethernet only matters if you have spent enough money on gigabit hubs and switches. Which most people don't in their homes.

Below Ambient said:
im very happy with my refurbed $76 P4C800E Delux

I haven;t had a good Asus mobo like this since my A7V-133

Same here. I can safely say that this motherboard is the best I got since my AMD days with the Epox 8K3A+.

Para

Sir-Fragalot said:
What the i875P has over the i865PE is ECC support and true PAT. That's it. Both chipsets can be paired with the ICH5 or ICH5R Southbridge.

Asus's P4C800-Deluxe and P4C800-E Deluxe are proof of that. As the difference is in the ICH5 and ICH5R southbridge chips being the main difference. Why Asus chose to impliment the 3Com Gigabit Lan over the Intel on the CSA bus is beyond me. Other than the 3Com solution is more full featured it is slower.

Besides Gigabit ethernet only matters if you have spent enough money on gigabit hubs and switches. Which most people don't in their homes.

True. But I chose the P4C800-E with the CSA gigabit ethernet only to make sure that the traffic on the PCI bus is as low as possible since I am using a PCI controller for SCSI. Otherwise, the P4P800-E would have been nice. I have built a budget gaming PC for my brother in law and I chose the P4P800 since it offers the same performance as the P4C800-E along with a lower price (almost half here in Canada)

Para

Sir-Fragalot said:

I went with the E not solely because of the Gigabit Ethernet (no GigE router in *my* crib) but because of the CSA support taking the Ethernet off the PCI bus (the lack of GigE support with the 865PE *is* a manufacturing decision; however, the PE is very seldom paired up with the ICH5R southbridge, which is responsible for both native SATA and CSA support). While GigE is overkill, since I have a 24-bit *audio accelerator* (Audigy 2 ZS), I want to keep other traffic on the PCI bus to a minimum. Also, at the time, no 865PE/ICH5R mobos existed.

Lot of good information about my motherboard in here that I already knew and some I didn't. I'm glad I read this thread. This Asus board (P4P800-Deluxe) works for me mainly because I wanted 4 devices on separate channels (2 C/DVD and 2 ATA IDE HDs). I think the only other two boards that can do this are the Soyo Dragon2 and some Epox i875 board. The Epox actually can take 6 non-SATA devices on separate channels, but it lacked something else I wanted. I don't overclock the CPU or FSB and rarely overclock the video card, I don't have ECC RAM, and don't use an AGP Pro card.

As far as the PAT thing, I'm pretty sure I have everything activated in the BIOS to get the best non-overclocking performance out of this card. What's all this about no ECC support (video card or RAM), can someone explain this as this is the only thing I'm unclear about. Thanks.

Back