Asus MG279Q Refresh Rates

Can anyone with this display please post what refresh rates do you have in the display properties in windows?
For example: 60, 100, 120, 144 Hz...

I am interested to know if there is a 100Hz option for 25 and 50 fps PAL content.

Last edited:
Thank You!

You actually have a selection like this?:
5v49iyciahmhep2zg.jpg

Nvidia/AMD?
Display Port?
Freesync On/Off?

Last edited:
just fyi this doesn't matter anymore. use reclock and smoothmotion.

I am using SmoothMotion (madVR) with my current Dell U2410 but I want to upgrade to an IPS with higher refresh rates to accommodate my needs of PAL region videos and various non-video experiments with non standard refresh rates like 54Hz.

I still need a concrete answer on what refresh rates available in windows with freesync turned Off.

Manual says 60, 120 and 144 only at 2560x1440.
But Tamlin_WSGF posted otherwise.

I want a more precise answer, or better yet, a picture.
Anyone??

From CCC:

xwhEUnO.png

Freesync off/on doesnt matter.

I might have time tomorrow to test it with my HTPC that has a Nvidia GTX 980 card and see if I get the same options there. :)

Edit: Looks like I can only select 50 and 100hz @ 1920x1080 as highest resolution. On 2560x1440 I only get to select 60/90/120 and 144hz, where 90hz is only available when freesync is on.

kb0WZQI.png

5xZI15k.png

Last edited:
Can anyone with this display please post what refresh rates do you have in the display properties in windows?
For example: 60, 100, 120, 144 Hz...

I am interested to know if there is a 100Hz option for 25 and 50 fps PAL content.

Why not go for a 4K monitor since its a multiple of 1080p...I think IPS are terrible for films, horrible contrast and Black depth of around .11 cd/m2.

I am using SmoothMotion (madVR) with my current Dell U2410 but I want to upgrade to an IPS with higher refresh rates to accommodate my needs of PAL region videos and various non-video experiments with non standard refresh rates like 54Hz.

I still need a concrete answer on what refresh rates available in windows with freesync turned Off.

Manual says 60, 120 and 144 only at 2560x1440.
But Tamlin_WSGF posted otherwise.

I want a more precise answer, or better yet, a picture.
Anyone??

none of this matters... smooth motion with reclock looks identical to playing content on a monitor with a refresh rate that's a multiple of the source frame rate, and it doesn't matter what the default modes are, either, as you can just use CRU to add any refresh rates you want below 144 Hz.

Thank you Tamlin_WSGF .

@Odellus
I realize that, I've been using madVR for a couple of years now.
And no, you can't add custom refresh rates whether with CRU or Nvidia without dropping or skipping frames, the only ones that supported are the ones you can select.

Thanks everybody.

Thank you Tamlin_WSGF .

@Odellus
I realize that, I've been using madVR for a couple of years now.
And no, you can't add custom refresh rates whether with CRU or Nvidia without dropping or skipping frames, the only ones that supported are the ones you can select.

Thanks everybody.

that's completely wrong, but ok. glad you got what you came for.

90 hz? What?
Haven't seen a monitor come with 90hz since the CRT days.

And here I am thinking I was crazy for making a 91hz 1920x1080 vertical total=1502 resolution for call of duty advanced warfare (91 fps) for my XL2720Z....

if it's lower than the native refresh rate of the monitor yes, of course. try it yourself. http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

For you information, custom refresh without frame skipping only works if you monitor can be overclocked.
The Acer XB270HU for example skips frames if a custom refresh is created even if it is lower than the native refresh rate.
Now, if you don't own the Asus MG279Q please stop replying to this thread, if you do own one please provide a concrete answer.

Anyone else cares to try custom refresh rate?
Test with this site: http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

The XB270HU uses a gsync scaler.
I don't think the gsync scaler can handle custom refresh rates. It's not a traditional scaler.

The freesync version should be fine as it uses a normal scaler.
This has nothing to do with the refresh rates. It has everything to do with the scaler.

The Benq Z series monitors with the Mstar scaler (I do not know about the XL2730Z), including XL2430T and XL2720Z, can run at almost every refresh rate from 60hz to 144hz in 1 hz increments, without any skipping, with some exceptions (76hz with a custom vertical total randomly goes out of range on mode set), and can backlight strobe (blur reduction) at those refresh rates also. Up to 128hz has been tested with normal timings, 125hz with vertical total (1498 VT), 129hz is iffy, 130+hz requires LCD reduced timings. 145 hz with reduced timings works; 146hz only works on some panels.

Thank you.

So a freesync monitor can accommodate any custom refresh rate... very well.
Can someone actually try custom refresh with the MG279Q?

:D Much Appreciated !!!

BTW you should take a photograph of the screen, NOT a screenshot for this to prove something.
There is an instruction above the test.

Why are you being so difficult?
Hell, send us some plane tickets so you can see the monitor in person while you're at it...dear god......

Why are you being so difficult?
Hell, send us some plane tickets so you can see the monitor in person while you're at it...dear god......

Simple, I'm not from the US. ;)

Where I live this beast costs around 1000$, so I want to be 100% sure it will fulfill all my needs for at least 4-5 years.
I sincerely appreciate all the info you fellows provided and sorry about being a little pushy.

Cheers

Thank You again!

Last request, Can you please try 54Hz?

A side note:
The photo should capture at least 5-6 squares (as instructed).
Capturing 1 or 2 squares may not reflect the truth because it may NOT skip one right after the other.

Good example how it should look like:
frameskipping-good.jpg

Take photo of this screen with camera. Screenshots won't work. Use 1/5th second exposure or longer to capture multiple squares. If camera exposure can't be raised, decrease camera ISO and/or reduce monitor brightness, to make camera do longer exposures. If you see only 1 or 2 white squares in your photo, try again.

Anyone have wierd color shift betwen up and down in center of creen? I have normal white color in up and white with orange tint in down.

Back