ASUS MG279Q Please Help!!

Nahawand

Limp Gawd
Alright guys so I got the MG279Q and I need some answers this is my first new monitor in 5 years so be gentle:

1: Monitor came with a Mini DP to DP, should I get a DP to DP or it does not matter ?
2: I noticed that the monitor can only be set to 120Hz while it's rated at 144hz what's this 144hz and how can I set it or is it just a Video card limitation ?
3: I noticed that this monitor even after fiddling with the settings is just not as sharp or clear (Text) as my old U2410 Dunno if it's my eyes or just the way the monitor is feedback on this will be appreciated as it's my main concern now.

There shouldn't be any difference between DP and MiniDP, but you may want to try a new cable as the MG279Q is hugely sensitive to cable quality - I found I couldn't get 144Hz to work reliably with any DP cable I tried, including the bundled MiniDP one.

The fuzzy text is, as far as I could tell, a firmware issue with the monitor. Most monitors have a 'sharpness' setting that either sharpens or blurs the image on the screen, particularly text. Out of the box it is generally set to a neutral level that disables the filter and doesn't affect the image. But the Asus seems to be set by default to give a degree of blurring, with no way to turn the filter off completely. You can only choose between blurring and sharpening.

Use this app to check the gamma curve https://yadi.sk/d/aObAdGB9buJ6Y

If the test screen is uniformly gray, the gamma is set right, if not, use calibrate fast or slow and adjust it by eye. Surprisingly, it actually produces a pretty decent results, you can also set black and white levels with it and load gamma curve into lut.

I have this monitor and I love it.

I use the mini DP cable and it works just fine.

Regarding 144Hz I could not get it to work until I bought a GTX-908Ti so I believe it's actually driven by the GPU or drivers. I'm not sure.

Before I had a GTX-680 and I could only go up to 120Hz. Once I installed the 980Ti life was good.

Regarding blurry text I see no issues here however I always like to calibrate my text using the Clear Type or text (can't remember) from Windows itself.

Last edited:
I had to put mine into FPS mode so I could control the sharpness setting. This does mess up the gamma curve though. Asus really should have put a full manual mode into this monitor, where every setting is fully controllable.

Alright guys so I got the MG279Q and I need some answers this is my first new monitor in 5 years so be gentle:

1: Monitor came with a Mini DP to DP, should I get a DP to DP or it does not matter ?
2: I noticed that the monitor can only be set to 120Hz while it's rated at 144hz what's this 144hz and how can I set it or is it just a Video card limitation ?
3: I noticed that this monitor even after fiddling with the settings is just not as sharp or clear (Text) as my old U2410 Dunno if it's my eyes or just the way the monitor is feedback on this will be appreciated as it's my main concern now.

Did you adjust Cleartype in Windows?

That's what I did and it worked for me just fine.

Also all my browsers are set to 125% zoom. That seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Alright guys wow didn't expect so many replies I kinda lost hope because yesterday the thread got no replies at all, anyway now I am gonna share what I learned with all of you and also answer all the questions along with some photos.

There shouldn't be any difference between DP and MiniDP, but you may want to try a new cable as the MG279Q is hugely sensitive to cable quality - I found I couldn't get 144Hz to work reliably with any DP cable I tried, including the bundled MiniDP one.

The fuzzy text is, as far as I could tell, a firmware issue with the monitor. Most monitors have a 'sharpness' setting that either sharpens or blurs the image on the screen, particularly text. Out of the box it is generally set to a neutral level that disables the filter and doesn't affect the image. But the Asus seems to be set by default to give a degree of blurring, with no way to turn the filter off completely. You can only choose between blurring and sharpening.

Thanks for the replay I tried 2 DP cables so far and on both I couldn't set it to 144hz already ordered a new one just to test out.

Use this app to check the gamma curve https://yadi.sk/d/aObAdGB9buJ6Y

If the test screen is uniformly gray, the gamma is set right, if not, use calibrate fast or slow and adjust it by eye. Surprisingly, it actually produces a pretty decent results, you can also set black and white levels with it and load gamma curve into lut.

It's in Russian.

I have this monitor and I love it.

I use the mini DP cable and it works just fine.

Regarding 144Hz I could not get it to work until I bought a GTX-908Ti so I believe it's actually driven by the GPU or drivers. I'm not sure.

Before I had a GTX-680 and I could only go up to 120Hz. Once I installed the 980Ti life was good.

Regarding blurry text I see no issues here however I always like to calibrate my text using the Clear Type or text (can't remember) from Windows itself.

Alright this is an interesting replay, as I saw something similar on other thread someone with a 770 also couldn't get the monitor to 144hz switched to 970 and he could do it, seems like it's either driver or card limitation on these old 6/7 series cards.

I had to put mine into FPS mode so I could control the sharpness setting. This does mess up the gamma curve though. Asus really should have put a full manual mode into this monitor, where every setting is fully controllable.

I can not believe this I just set it to FPS mode while replaying to these messaged and I instantly noticed that the text got just this little bit extra crispiness that I like :( it's a real shame that according to TFTCentral and all the reviewers that the best mode is racing ASUS should really release a firmware that allows sharpness control in all modes seems like it's set at 40 in racing mode while 50 default in Racing again all according to what I noticed.

Did you adjust Cleartype in Windows?

Just did dunno seemed like the default ones, or the ones that the windows already had highlighted were the best.

That's what I did and it worked for me just fine.

Also all my browsers are set to 125% zoom. That seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I set the browser to 125% and yes it does make text much clearer but then it blurs some other stuff because it just zooms in images and thumbnails and such.

Alright guys time for a summery and also tell you what I have decided to do, overall I am very happy with the monitor games and movies look amazing on it, maybe it's just me stepping up to 2560 and everything is just smaller and such, maybe the pixel density maybe I am just using to seeing pixels when I get close to the monitor.

Anyway I decided to pick up a Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-x saw one very cheap at my local store much cheaper than a 980 so I decided to go for it coupled with this monitors FreeSync capability why not I think with this card I also should be able to set to 144hz as I quoted earlier and I will give it more time let my eyes adjust to this monitor a bit more.

Please keep me updated and also aware me if any firmware or anything new comes out for this monitor anyway here are the pictures don't mind the shitty quality.

Sorry for the uncompressed and non re sized Images just want you to get the best representation of it also these are from an iphone so yea.
MhvdVSP.jpg

8cuX5l6.jpg

vcuRbLb.jpg

1w9LbH5.jpg

Last picture of the monitor itself so you wont think I am frauding.

RD3qAWJ.jpg

Thanks a lot in advance.

I'm using a slightly modified version of the settings TFTCentral recommended and it works great for me.

I could share with you but I'm at work :(

However you can play with few settings I found messed up the text/IQ when I was messing around :D

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1009736/

Also try messing with the VividPixel settings. That's an Asus enhanced feature that if not setup correctly, will make text/image blurry. Mine is set at 25 If I remember correctly.

I'm using a slightly modified version of the settings TFTCentral recommended and it works great for me.

I could share with you but I'm at work :(

However you can play with few settings I found messed up the text/IQ when I was messing around :D

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1009736/

Also try messing with the VividPixel settings. That's an Asus enhanced feature that if not setup correctly, will make text/image blurry. Mine is set at 25 If I remember correctly.

Please do when you get home, anyway I know the VividPixel it actually makes the image quality go down also have Trace Free at 80 recommended by TFT this has no effect on text.

But what I just did is set Scenery Mode and Racing Mode to the same brightness and contrast and colour, and all I did was switch back and forth between them on the fly while having text up on screen, and you can actually see that the text is sharper in Scenery mode just because it has sharpness adjustment unlike racing mode, like any of you with this monitor try it out and you will notice 100% that it does get clearer, maybe I am just little but too sensitive to it and other people don't notice it.

i noticed a big difference in sharpness or how clear text was going from my Dell 2713 to this monitor. The Dell was much better in that regard.

I've tried every setting possible on this Asus and haven't gotten close to the dell

i noticed a big difference in sharpness or how clear text was going from my Dell 2713 to this monitor. The Dell was much better in that regard.

I've tried every setting possible on this Asus and haven't gotten close to the dell

Thank you! and thank god it's not only me or in my head, my boss has a dell u2715h at work and the text looks crystal clear on it even my u2410 had amazing text, I guess I (we) will just have to live with it ? a trade off ? I mean when I bought this monitor I was like too good to be ture. " IPS 144hz amazing response amazing calibration out of the box freesync no major issues " I guess this little trade off is nothing major. still text isn't by any means horrible on it but for what in my country is a 1000$ monitor I expected a sharper text /image overall.

Last edited:
I've used Dell lcd's for nearly 10 years now. I was debating between this Asus and the Dell P2715q 4k monitor.

I would say this is the only negative I have with the asus. I have been wanting a high refresh rate monitor for a while but had to have an IPS also. Overall, i'm happy. It reminds of of using a CRT a bit :)

Exactly that was my only requirement also as I tend to sometime sit at a weird angles while watching a movie or something and after using IPS for nearly 6 years couldn't justify switching to a TN panel even with all the bells and whistles it offered, also wanted to upgrade to something bigger but again didn't want to stay on 60hz and non gsync/freesync so this monitor came along with all the goodies and IPS.

Gonna post a small update:

So after a bit more research, checking the threads on Here and on OCK and more, seems like people are aware of the " Softness/lack of sharpness/blurry " Text and it all seem to be from the Racing perset probably having the sharpnes set to 30-40 instead of 50 switching between the modes does seem to confirm this, I made this post to hopefully aware anybody browsing this thread either by means or by chance.

At the end seems like some people didn't notice it at all or didn't mind it and some others are more sensitive to it.

It uses the new AUO's AHVA panel, which has similar characteristics to the LG's IPS. The pixel layout and structure might be different which can contribute to the text fuzziness.

Alright guys sadly this will be the last update, so I ended up returning the monitor for a full refund as it was within the 14 day window, the reason being I just couldn't handle the fuzzy text anymore I kinda knew this would happen the moment I turned on the monitor that I just couldn't live with it. I tried really hard to ignore it but also since most of the games I play have a lot of text/chat in them it was just too much.

It's very sad as I am pretty sure I had a perfect monitor nearly no backlight bleed very little IPS glow 0 dead pixels, some of you who had trouble may have enjoyed this, the thing that really bothers me is that I am now gonna be paranoid buying a new monitor because nobody ever mentioned that this monitor had this issue in the reviews only when I started hitting up the forums that I realised it is.

Ah well guess next time I will just post here first and see what can I expect from my next monitor purchase, for now I am sticking with my old u2410.

Sometimes you just gotta wonder who makes the decisions on the OSD this all could have been avoided if they had 1: a fully custom mode or 2: Sharpness settings in all modes or 3: Gamma settings in all modes. <-- Again this issue may not be an issure for a lot of people just my own personal preference.

Last edited:
Back