ASUS MG279Q Black 27" 144 Hz 4ms $490

I wish that was a Nvidia Gsync version but that one is $$$$$

As are all G-SYNC monitors even though the experience is almost identical to FreeSync monitors which are usually $100-$200 cheaper.

Ayeeeee. What a deal! I bought this off a member here for $500 a couple months back. He mentioned there was only one faulty pixel on the screen, but it turns out there's a dead one at the bottom and a stuck one towards the middle that I haven't been able to fix :(

That being said, the screen is amazing, but the quality control is awful. Don't be surprised if you have to return a few lemons before getting the panel you desire.

Also, I'm not sure what all the hype for G-SYNC and ULMB is about, one can easily compete at a competitive level if you're looking to do some semi-pro/pro fragging on the panel. As long as your framerate's stable, you're not going to experience any tearing. I love the smoothness of G-SYNC, but it does bring unwanted input lag that affects my gameplay, so I have no use for it, hence why I went for it.

I can ramble on, but for <$500 this is pretty much a dream "budget" 1440p gaming panel. >> Asus MG279Q Review - TFT Central

I thought one of the points of G-sync/Freesync was it introduces no additional lag, as opposed to v-sync which does?

I thought one of the points of G-sync/Freesync was it introduces no additional lag, as opposed to v-sync which does?

I've read mixed remarks over this. It does introduce extra lag (albeit a little amount), and apparently capping the fps below the refresh rate removes it completely almost. Noticeable? Possibly... most of the players I follow don't utilize it but have capable monitors.

tempting price but the quality control issues scare me -- i don't want to deal with RMAs for months hpoing to get something dead pixel free -- at the 500 dollar range, I expect perfection damn it.

Will more than likely stick to my plan of buying a Dell S2716DG and wait for pascal to drop and get me some Gsync action... i don't feel like hanging onto my xfire 290's that much longer.

I got this on the NewEgg flash sale in February. Love it so far and did not have to return the monitor to get a good one, though maybe I just got lucky. There's a slight yellow tint on one corner of the screen that I only notice against a full black image. I've forgotten about it completely in normal usage.

TFTcentral did a great job on the review for this monitor. Characterizes the lag very well and compares it against other monitors - would just read that.

Asus MG279Q Review - TFT Central

don't know about freesync but gsync acts like vsync once you hit the maximum refresh rate of the monitor unless you disable vsync in the control panel, which allows the framerate to go above the maximum refresh rate and disable any kind of sync. this is unnecessary as you can cap the framerate at 138 and get perfectly smooth gameplay with no input lag over no-sync.

Back