ASUS Matrix GTX 580 Platinum Spy Pics

Zarathustra[H];1037304363 said:
Very big case, and flexible riser cards? :p

Looks nice to me.

I'm about to build a SLI 580 rig soon, but since i plan on using a Silverstone Raven case, I need card designs that blow out the back, so this one is out of the question for me.

...this card DOES blow out the back...hence the need for the 3rd slot ventilation backplate.

this has come out way too late in the game unless asus prices this very aggressively(highly unlikely). ever since the mars 285x2, asus has been late in the game with their non-conventional designs. the matrix should be a 3gb 580 to really be enticing. there's alright a good sized cream-of-the-crop selection of 580's to choose from. i'm sure the novelty of a triple slot video card will lose it's appeal once you start sacrificing slots and space to fit them in (especially in sli setups)

this has come out way too late in the game unless asus prices this very aggressively(highly unlikely). ever since the mars 285x2, asus has been late in the game with their non-conventional designs. the matrix should be a 3gb 580 to really be enticing. there's alright a good sized cream-of-the-crop selection of 580's to choose from. i'm sure the novelty of a triple slot video card will lose it's appeal once you start sacrificing slots and space to fit them in (especially in sli setups)

And hasn't Galaxy had a triple slot 580 out for a while now? I know someone has...there was a good deal on it awhile back, but just can't live with 3 damn slots.

...this card DOES blow out the back...hence the need for the 3rd slot ventilation backplate.

Yep, but the pictures show that its not sealed around the back like the OEM design. What this means is that a good portion of the hot air will be exiting back into the case, rather than out the back.

I would need something fully enclosed that ONLY vents out the back :p

Only one NEC Tokin on the back? A bit weak, the 6970 Lightning has 4-5 Tokins, and the Gigabyte 6970 has 3 Tokins. Will have to keep an eye out on this.

What is the point of Mars II ?

There is already a GTX 590, I don't see any logic within Mars II at all...

The Mars and the Mars II are proof-of-concept cards, with extremely limited releases...they demonstrate the upper limits of the current generation, cost and logic be damned. Asus doesn't intend to sell them to the average mainstream PC gamer...those cards are for the people who will spend the big bucks to have the best of the best.

SLI and Tri-SLI are possible with these large cards as well...you need a motherboard with the correct layout however, to make it work...ATX can do it assuming the first, fourth, and seventh PCI-E slots are 16x. With an XL-ATX, or HPTX board, it's even easier. I'm not saying I'd Tri-SLI something like this (two cards like this in Crossfire take up enough room already), but it's not impossible, for someone who wants the very best in air-cooled cards.

Another example of video card makers throwing horse power at what they should be throwing more research at.

They should take a lesson from intel (not their graphics department.. :p )

Another example of video card makers throwing horse power at what they should be throwing more research at.

They should take a lesson from intel (not their graphics department.. :p )

I think they DID take a lesson from Intel... unfortunately, the lesson plans they took were from the Pentium 4 era.

Can I ask this, when does a card become too big? I mean I get it you want POWER and performance but dam when is it just too much?

Why are you surprised that it uses 3-slots? Asus have made a 3-slot GTX580 (and GTX570) all along, just look at the DirectCU II version(s).

The question was already asked in this thread, but I don't understand why more GPU manufacturers wouldn't offer an H2O-ready card. They could sell the unit themselves or spec the requirements and let the purchaser find their own answer.

They could engage another supplier, like Corsair (supplier of the Hydro series CPU H2O cooler products), to offer an H2O unit spec'd for their card. It could create another market - oops, I just gave away another million dollar idea for someone else to develop!

Anyone what to form a company to do this?

The question was already asked in this thread, but I don't understand why more GPU manufacturers wouldn't offer an H2O-ready card. They could sell the unit themselves or spec the requirements and let the purchaser find their own answer.

They could engage another supplier, like Corsair (supplier of the Hydro series CPU H2O cooler products), to offer an H2O unit spec'd for their card. It could create another market - oops, I just gave away another million dollar idea for someone else to develop!

Anyone what to form a company to do this?

You mean like Evga? Or like a video card with a closed system Water cooler?

Back