ASUS K8V Users... to Floppy or Not to Floppy??

zlooop

Gawd
How many people here have the Asus K8V board and have not used a floppy drive... ever?

Whata's floppy. Man floppy drives are dead. 6 out of 8 of my computers do not have floppy drives. Nowdays you can update bios, etc without floppy. The only thing is if you are doing sata raid, then you might need a floppy. But if you are not, just map a floppy or get one of those floppy, smart card/mmc/sd/etc combo readers.

Ya i know they are "dead"

I am still scared though because I havent built a computer in 2 years :)

Here's a Pro and Con of killing teh flooppy:

Pro: You can always setup a network share to another computer that has a floppy.

Con: If you want to install Windo'hs onto a RAID array, you need a floppy. (Or 1337 slipstreaming abilities).

Schro said:
Here's a Pro and Con of killing teh flooppy:

Pro: You can always setup a network share to another computer that has a floppy.

Con: If you want to install Windo'hs onto a RAID array, you need a floppy. (Or 1337 slipstreaming abilities).

So as long as I set up at SATA without raid I should be fine just booting from a CD?

Goota have a floppy to install SATA drivers if installing windows on them, also had to use the floppy to install the Beta-Bios, their windows based Bios flashing program will not flash to a older bios either if you wanted to.

OK, maybe I'm in the wrong thread, but I'm looking to buy 2 60 G 7200 RPM Sata drives and Raid 0 them. I already have windows and all my files on my 30 G IDE drive. Can I install the RAID drivers onto the IDE drive and then copy them over onto the Sata Drives? And, will I be able to install windows XP on my SATA drives from the CD in Windows on my IDE drives, or will I have to do a fresh install of Windows and then do Files & Settings transfer wizard from IDE to Sata? How would I go about doing that?

Apologize for n00bishness :p

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
OK, maybe I'm in the wrong thread, but I'm looking to buy 2 60 G 7200 RPM Sata drives and Raid 0 them. I already have windows and all my files on my 30 G IDE drive. Can I install the RAID drivers onto the IDE drive and then copy them over onto the Sata Drives? And, will I be able to install windows XP on my SATA drives from the CD in Windows on my IDE drives, or will I have to do a fresh install of Windows and then do Files & Settings transfer wizard from IDE to Sata? How would I go about doing that?

Apologize for n00bishness :p

First, about SATA drivers- you will need a floppy to install Windows to a sata hdd OR raid arrays (in some cases, a single drive on an intel controller does not need a disk, as it is transparent to the OS due to chipzilla's design)

Second, for Mr. Pain :p : Here's what you can and can't do. If you leave windows on the 30GB, and install the raid array as storage, then you do not need a floppy disk with the drivers- just simply install the drivers for the array in windows from any source that you may have. If you want to install windows from your CD onto the raid array, the ONLY way that the XP install will accept drivers is via a floppy disk (yes, very lame, but a remenant from when this product was called NT4- hopefully Longhorn or XP Reloaded fixes this... probably not until longhorn though). Drivers on a hard drive or a cdrom will be useless to you in the XP installation envirnoment. The only way to avoid this is to slipstream the drivers into the installation CD, which can be a rather involved process.

You also appear to allude to ghosting your 30GB to your shiny new raid array- this is merely an OK idea, as most drive imaging softwares available will b0rk the copy from IDE to SATA (lack of maturity on the software's part)... I've heard DriveImage 2002 is theonly one that works reliably (according to Maximum PC). I know from personal experience that norton ghost '03 does not work.

Back