ASUS k8V IDE LED

dtac7

n00b
Why can I not get the HD LED to light up? I am putting the case IDE HDE +/- in the right spot it looks like. The bottom left two pins. I have tried with the words facing up and down. My case is a x-dreamer II.

dtac7,

Did you ever get resolution with this issue?

I have the same mobo, but I have Enermax case. Both my power and IDE LEDs are not lit. I have an IDE hard drive plugged into the primary IDE connector. Also, my case speaker and power switch work.

Did you try putting a meter on it to see if you are getting any juice out of the connector?

dr_dirtnap, if it comes down to it I will put a meter on the pins. Thx!

I may have the hard drive jumper in the wrong location. Currently, it is set for Master. I only have one hard drive connected to the primary IDE controller, so I think the jumper should be set for single, or cable select.

If it still doesn't work I may have to try flipping the connector. ZQL8TR, can you take a picture of your LED wires plugged into your motherboard?

Thx for the replies.

You can try flipping the connector it won't hurt it, just don't like it. :p The front pannel connection is my least favorite part of setting up a computer... I ziptie everything that can move and if I have mess up the front connector it is a pain. It seems like the most anti-climatic part of setting up a computer.

I know my nForce setups with one HD don't like a single drive to be set as master. They will pause for 5-10 seconds before booting up if their isn't a slave. So just removing the jumper on the WD drives that I have fix the problem.

dr_dirtnap said:
I know my nForce setups with one HD don't like a single drive to be set as master. They will pause for 5-10 seconds before booting up if their isn't a slave. So just removing the jumper on the WD drives that I have fix the problem.

Yes! That's exactly what is happening on my system, but I didn't bring it up because I didn't want to hijack this thread. But now that you mention it, my hard drive starts spinning, stops (or pauses), then boots the rest of the way. It's good to know I have a fix for that problem. Thx!

Yeah, I know what you mean about connecting the case wires to the motherboard. It's because the case manufacturers never supply manuals with their cases. We are always left guessing. I am experiencing the same problems with the front panel usb and firewire connectors too.

Yeah, the front panel (leds, etc) is a royal pain the get right. Things never seem to be marked correctly, if you can even understand what correct marking is for the connectors ;)

Damn! I really thought that at least one problem would be solved by the end of today, but after making adjustments to my hard drive jumper and verifying the position of the front panel LED connectors, none of my problems has been resolved. My hard drive still stops and starts just before boot, and I don't have front panel power and hard drive LEDs.

Again, all my front panel connectors (power, IDE, etc.) are labels up on the motherboard connector, and I have a Western Digital EIDE hard drive connected to the primary IDE connector (with Cable Select jumper setting) on my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe.

I'll double check tonight when I get home from work, but I don't think label up is right for a couple of them. I know the power and reset btns don't matter, can't rememebr on the others.

DARK1NE said:
dtac7,

Did you ever get resolution with this issue?

I have the same mobo, but I have Enermax case. Both my power and IDE LEDs are not lit. I have an IDE hard drive plugged into the primary IDE connector. Also, my case speaker and power switch work.

Nope.

I got the power LED lit. + goes on the far left top pin face down, - goes two pins over.

I just dont think the HD LED will ever work because my drive is SATA.

DARK1NE said:
Damn! I really thought that at least one problem would be solved by the end of today, but after making adjustments to my hard drive jumper and verifying the position of the front panel LED connectors, none of my problems has been resolved. My hard drive still stops and starts just before boot, and I don't have front panel power and hard drive LEDs.

Again, all my front panel connectors (power, IDE, etc.) are labels up on the motherboard connector, and I have a Western Digital EIDE hard drive connected to the primary IDE connector (with Cable Select jumper setting) on my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe.

I feel your pain, little things that don't work bug the bejezzus out of me.

All of my labels have to be label down with my case. If you look closesy there should be a little arrow on the LED cable connector to tell you which pin is +.

+PWR-
LED + SPEAKER -
+ x - x x x + x x -

+ - x x x + - x + -
+HD- +PWR- +RST-
LED SWITCH SWITCH

Legend:
+ is where to put the arrow on the connector
x is a pin that has no connector attatched

I hope that helps, people in these forums have helped me through the years, just trying to help out.

Try removing the jumper completely with the WD HD, that is what worked for me so it didn't pause at startup.

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the responses.

ok, here we go.

dargon, you said the orientation of the power and reset switch connectors didn't matter. I think you're correct because the power and reset connections on the motherboard are solid colors, where as with the other connections the positive pin is marked with a white cross. And, my power and reset switches are working.

dtac7 and dr_dirtnap, from reading dtac7's description and looking at dr_dirtnap's diagram I've come to the following conclusion: My connectors are on upside down. I remember the arrows on all my connectors are to the right, which is negative. The colored motherboard connections with the little white crosses are the connections where the orientation matters. The arrow on the connector must match up with the white cross on the motherboard connection. Also, label down. I have it wrong.

As for the hard drive, I'll try removing the jumper to see if it resolves the pausing.

Thanks again!

Nope problem dark1ne, I just checked mine, both LED connectors are label down. When in doubt, flip them ;)

Well, just as I thought it worked. Except for no difference in the hard drive. I have power and hard drive LEDs, and my speaker was plugged-in incorrectly too. I guess the hard drive "issue" is just the way the ASUS motherboard restarts. This hard drive never did that in my old PC though. When I restart the PC the hard drive stops spinning briefly (a couple seconds), I hear it wind down, then starts up again and boots. Maybe it's normal. Can anyone confirm this?

Back