Asus GTX460 1GB Overclocked Edition With DirectCU Cooler $210

Has anyone received this card yet? (Asking due to the 2-4 weeks delivery note on the page)

I think it's on the verge of release, hence the 2-4 weeks estimate. My order says it's expected to be delivered between August 25-September 2, although I'm certainly hoping for sooner.

I've got this on order, but now thinking about the 470 deal from TD for $30 more. anyone else thinking about this?

The 470's don't interest me. I'd go ATI 5850 instead for the heat / noise issues.

I bit on the TD 470 deal, amazing price/performance but they do generate more heat and consume more power. I'm hoping it will still be less than or equal to the heat generation/power consumption of my SLI'd 8800GTs.

I'm thinking that my 9800GTX is getting pretty old. I should probably get the 460 and use the 9800 to power the extra monitors. I have a 650w PSU, would either the 460 or 470 necessitate a new one, either with or without the 9800 still in the box?

I'm thinking that my 9800GTX is getting pretty old. I should probably get the 460 and use the 9800 to power the extra monitors. I have a 650w PSU, would either the 460 or 470 necessitate a new one, either with or without the 9800 still in the box?

Haha your 9800GTX is getting old, huh? Try running with a 7800GTX. Now THAT's long in the tooth.

I'm not sure about the 470, although I think a 650w would be enough. It would also kind of depend on what other components you're using and whether you're OC'ing your CPU.

You should be totally fine with the 460.

I was on the side lines with this because I was always gunning to go red and get an 5970 or something but I just considered it might be a worthy buy as an phy card?

Is anyone buying this to use it as a phy card?

I mean right now I have a 8800gts 320mb and I am not going to be getting a 5970 anytime soon(waiting for prices to go down and it'd probably take awhile, I might even wait for the 6xxx series)

So I thought it might be a good idea if I invest into a 460 1gb as an investment towards a better card then my 8800gts and then turn it into a phy card once I get the 5970 or 6xxx card.

Then I can also use my 8800gts towards a lan pc.

What you think of this?

I can only do so much with this cruddy 8800gts 320mb with my 24in monitor.

I was on the side lines with this because I was always gunning to go red and get an 5970 or something but I just considered it might be a worthy buy as an phy card?

Is anyone buying this to use it as a phy card?

I mean right now I have a 8800gts 320mb and I am not going to be getting a 5970 anytime soon(waiting for prices to go down and it'd probably take awhile, I might even wait for the 6xxx series)

So I thought it might be a good idea if I invest into a 460 1gb as an investment towards a better card then my 8800gts and then turn it into a phy card once I get the 5970 or 6xxx card.

Then I can also use my 8800gts towards a lan pc.

What you think of this?

I can only do so much with this cruddy 8800gts 320mb with my 24in monitor.

why dont u just get 2 of these, SLI and call it a day? it would be a helluv alot cheaper than that 5970

lol the only damn reason holding me back is eyefinity, I know, I know...dont poke fun at me.

You can get the EVGA GTX 470 for $299 plus free shipping from amazon. This is the AR version with lifetime guarantee too. Mmmm tempting.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1281477735&sr=1-18

The TD deal on the Galaxy 470 is better imo. There's a Galaxy rep on these boards and the cards have a 2 year warranty for 20% less. Paying $60 for extending your warranty after 2 years. 2 years doesn't even include warranty extension from purchasing with a credit card. Have fun with your Lifetime Warranty.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The TD deal on the Galaxy 470 is better imo. There's a Galaxy rep on these boards and the cards have a 2 year warranty for 20% less. Paying $60 for extending your warranty after 2 years. 2 years doesn't even include warranty extension from purchasing with a credit card. Have fun with your Lifetime Warranty.

It'd be better if it were a 3 year warranty, but I agree that lifetime warranties for video cards is a little overkill. Chances are you're gonna move onto something better in 2-3 years anyway. Lifetime warranties are more important for, say, mobos (since I just replaced a 4 year old EVGA board last year under warranty :) )

It'd be better if it were a 3 year warranty, but I agree that lifetime warranties for video cards is a little overkill. Chances are you're gonna move onto something better in 2-3 years anyway. Lifetime warranties are more important for, say, mobos (since I just replaced a 4 year old EVGA board last year under warranty :) )

The warranty is 3 years if you purchase it with a Mastercard or Visa.

Now reading Out of Stock on the Amazon page... My estimated delivery date is still August 25, but weird they'd change it to OOS. Maybe they got them in, took inventory, discovered they'd already filled enough orders to cover it and were thus OOS? You know, cuz that would mean maybe I'd be getting mine sooner ;-)

Last edited:
Mine says estimated ship date between Aug. 26th and Sept. 3. Hopefully it happens sooner than that.

After rereading this thread, I might be regretting letting my pre order go. But it's only a few bucks here and there, getting the wrong card when you are not sure, well, that truly sucks.

EDIT: I heard the MSI 460 Hawk with the Twin Frozer II cooler is coming out in a month or two, and I did read it will be 1GHz.

Last edited:
Any idea when that might be coming out? 1ghz has a nice ring to it... of course, the 1gb Cyclone is like $235 on the Egg, so a 1gb Hawk could go for a little more... that's approaching GTX465 Twin Frozr II GE territory in terms of price.

Mine still shows shipping between Aug. 26 and Sept. 3.

I'm glad I got in at $210. I suspect the price won't be below that again for a while unless ATI forces them into it by lowering the 5850 price.

Edit to add: I'm just guessing the fully functional version of the 460 will be out sometime in the next two months. That's probably why all the sales on 470's and 480's. The 8/8 version of the card should easily best the 470 and even outdo the 480 at overclocked speeds.

The warranty is 3 years if you purchase it with a Mastercard or Visa.

that's wrong

Only certain cards are offered with extended warranty protection. All Visa and MC don't have it by default. Certain card types like Visa Signature have it regardless of issuing bank though.

I believe all Amex cards do have it though.

Price is up to 240 now?

Yeah, this is turning more into a watch thread than a deal thread. $239 is still a decent price, but for $40 more you can get the Twin Frozr II card, which is arguably superior. This still seems like a fantastic card. Now it's just a matter of waiting to see if we do indeed get it before early September.

I wish I waited 2 weeks :\
I got the 470 instead and had to buy a new 750 watt antec psu and more fans to cool the 470 :/ for exhaust

at work, we rebuilt a demo computer and put in two 480s. It took 4 crashes while running games for him to realize a 2 year old 850W antec wouldn't cut it.

Edit to add: I'm just guessing the fully functional version of the 460 will be out sometime in the next two months. That's probably why all the sales on 470's and 480's. The 8/8 version of the card should easily best the 470 and even outdo the 480 at overclocked speeds.

I don't think so. You need 800 Mhz GTX460 to more or less match stock 470:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_460_Sonic_Platinum/7.html

Adding 10% more sps will have less than 10% performance gain.

But we are talking stock gtx 470 here and those cards can easily go 15-20% higher.

at work, we rebuilt a demo computer and put in two 480s. It took 4 crashes while running games for him to realize a 2 year old 850W antec wouldn't cut it.

haha true that

I just read the 470 outside box and knew I wasn't going to test it out on my 650watt coolerguys and had to confirm it with the guys at the video forum and know that if I plug my 470 it will be dead haha because my whole system was running extremely hot with the 650watt coolerguys
instead I got a legit antec and is running everything fine now.. however if I got the 460... I might be able to run it on the 650watt coolerguys... then again.. I wanted the 470 a little more... but that is the price we all must pay

I'm back to square one for what video card to get, perhaps I should have held onto my preorder here. Oh well, the world is made up of deals. I'm leaning back to Asus for brands tho. They have a lot of cool features. I really like the dust resistant fan design they have.

I'm trying to decide between two 460's, an Asus Matrix 5870, and possibly the 480.

I'm back to square one for what video card to get, perhaps I should have held onto my preorder here. Oh well, the world is made up of deals. I'm leaning back to Asus for brands tho. They have a lot of cool features. I really like the dust resistant fan design they have.

I'm trying to decide between two 460's, an Asus Matrix 5870, and possibly the 480.

Depends on your res, but the 470 is the sweet spot. Look around for deals and you can get them for less then $240-250. I got two of them for that, both clock in SLI to 800 core on stock volts (vanilla EVGA and ASUS), and the stock HSF is a lot quieter and cooler then many will have you beleive.

I put in my pre order again for two of these Asus 460 1GB Top cards. Too bad I missed the $420 price I originally had, but honestly, it's still a great price at $480, just not a steal. I'm sure I want them this time, unless something else better comes out. Yea, I lost 60 bucks, but at least I didn't rush the decision, which never works out for me.

Last edited:
Whoo Hooo, it's back to $209, I just re-ordered up two... again. LOL

God sure is watching out for me. Talk about coming full circle! Now I can get in on the deal I started this whole thread for! Plus now I am far more confident this is the best GTX 460 out there. There is the Zotac Amp and the MSI Hawk versions still coming, but who knows when and if they will be worth waiting for. I wouldn't mind an Asus Matrix GTX 460 1GB down the line =)

Last edited:
Gonna keep an eye on these. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll be in stock in a few weeks when I order the rest of my parts.

Back