ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU Mini

Why mod for an ATX PSU when even doing so would make most types of after market air coolers impossible to fit. Silverstone's SFX 450W PSU is more than adequate for a 670 and anything else you could jam into that case, abeit even with the loud fan. Just going off the top of my head, you could make a case based off the SG05 like I mentioned earlier, but it could be quite possible to go for a cube case by reducing the length and stuffing the ODD under the mobo. IIRC the width of the SG05 is 222mm, so a 222mm³ should be more than possible.

IIRIC, he's talking about putting the ATX psu vertically in the front (wall power coming through the floor), which then allows "full-height" coolers on the CPU. With this GPU, though, you're right, no need for an ATX-sized PSU... hell, I've been kicking around the idea of going with the x51 330w brick for a build like this (but then it's not petite, either). :)

I've modded numerous SG05's/06's, and altering the major dimensions of these cases is a real PITA (easiest one is height, FWIW, just requires cutting and re-riveting) as the bottom sled is one bent piece of metal (back to bottom to front). Any change to width or length would require major cutting and welding/bending of new sides; might as well go custom at that point.

IIRIC, he's talking about putting the ATX psu vertically in the front (wall power coming through the floor), which then allows "full-height" coolers on the CPU. With this GPU, though, you're right, no need for an ATX-sized PSU... hell, I've been kicking around the idea of going with the x51 330w brick for a build like this (but then it's not petite, either). :)

I've modded numerous SG05's/06's, and altering the major dimensions of these cases is a real PITA (easiest one is height, FWIW, just requires cutting and re-riveting) as the bottom sled is one bent piece of metal (back to bottom to front). Any change to width or length would require major cutting and welding/bending of new sides; might as well go custom at that point.

Modifying a case to the point of re-establishing its dimensions is, of course, taking it way to far. I was just stating that using the SG05 layout is a good reference for a separate case. And the concept of an external PSU deserves its own thread.

Neither of those :)

ATX psu fits on its side. Only mod needed is to cut a hole for the power cord in the cover. There's already holes in it so its super easy :-P I leave my cover off anyway though because the tips of the HR02 heatpipes peek out just above the top of the SG05.

sure you can go smaller but ATX psus are quiet (my x750 runs fanless except when gaming, even then its inaudible), cheap, and you may even have one laying around.

Anyway, my point was to give an example of configurations that are possible now with a shorter GPU :)

Yeah it's about as quiet as an HD6850 or HD7770 I have now, which is awesome when taking the perfomance difference into account.

Too bad they opted to make the card wider/higher than standard PCI-Express specs dictate, which means it won't fit in some cases (Lian-Li PC-V352 = sad).

http://i.imgur.com/P2bNmsm.jpg

I'm wondering how well it will perform in small cases. It's not a blower style GPU, obviously, so the case would have to have good airflow. I'd consider using it in an SG05 with a Corsair H55 in a push-pull setup.

Since the card is so short, you could probably do even better and fit an H80i mounted onto the top vent of the SG05?

The vents on top of the SG05 are only at the back around the PSU. You'd have to drill holes, but even then the airflow wouldn't be ideal. Besides, I'd want to keep the ODD bay. Anyways, an H80i in push-pull still fits in there horizontally.

this is exactly what I was thinking this card would be great for (though even better if the top card was reference)

IMG_3336.jpg.jpeg

http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-gtx-670-directcu-mini-2gb-review/19544.html

You need a flexible slibridge, because the asus gtx 670 mini is higher than a normal gtx 670

Finally got some prices. They're not what I would call reasonable.

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/asus-gtx-670-directcu-mini-review/
Selling for 380 British pounds. The article itself was rather strange; written by someone who thinks the BitFenix Prodigy is the best ITX case there is.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-gtx-670-directcu-mini-2gb-review/19544-4.html
Going for SGD$639. That's over AUD$500 or USD$500 in both circumstances. A 680 is less than that. Unless they drop the price a bit closer to that of a 670, I can't see these doing so well.

Not only is the card a bit taller than reference, the power connector is on the top edge, requiring even more space. Damn. This means the case still has to be 6" or more tall.

Not only is the card a bit taller than reference, the power connector is on the top edge, requiring even more space. Damn. This means the case still has to be 6" or more tall.

Blurry photo, but this could be solved by using a low profile molex connector similar to this 6 pin molex:
low-profile-6-pin.JPG

I've tried searching for an adapter, though, and haven't been able to find it. This adapter came with my ViDock adapter that I've been using with my laptop.

looks like a cob job. But, if they can make slimline type connectors for drives, i dont see why they arent making these for vid cards.

Because of the Lian-Li PC-V352 case I'm stuck with, which has VERY little room for PCI-e connectors, I contemplated about making a PCB with a male and female PCI-e connector on it, so I can connect it through the back of the card.

Maybe something worth looking in to.

Trying to figure out if this will work in a Shuttle R5 series case or will the taller shroud of the card and the drive tray in the case become a problem for the 8-pin...wish they put the power connection at the end of the card.

Back