ASUS GTX 1080 Strix Gaming 8GB

OK this thing is crashing in "OC" mode in Valley and Heaven. Seems OK in "gaming mode" though.

OK this thing is crashing in "OC" mode in Valley and Heaven. Seems OK in "gaming mode" though.

That doesn't sound right, especially if it's the stock OC mode. What's your temp like under idle? I'm hovering around 47 idle.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Newegg just got a few ROG Editions in and I managed to grab one. Too bad it's Friday as I likely won't get it until Tuesday or Wednesday.

It was gone in under two minutes. In the time it took me to order they they were sold out.

That doesn't sound right, especially if it's the stock OC mode. What's your temp like under idle? I'm hovering around 47 idle.

Yeah I'm a total noob at GPU overclocking so it's probably my fault completely. Idle is 31 C, Load under Heaven or Valley is 64 C max. Temps seem good to me.

My card is stable but it overclocks for shit unless I'm just that big a moron. Whatever, it works fine, it's quiet, temps are good. Plus it looks really nice. I'm keeping it.

You guys should be using NowInStock.net Product Availability Tracker and In Stock Notification System It's likely the only way to get one before August without being extremely lucky.

I've been able to get two (sold the first one) in as many weeks because of it.

Yep, I've been using this to snipe my card. You can set alert per card, and keep a browser open to give you sound notifications for when it goes in stock. Both Strix variants were sold out in under 5 min from when NowInStock alerts. Luckily, I was at my desk when the first alert went off.

I'm currently sitting on an Amazon preorder for the 1070 Strix OC after getting refunded on my Newegg Strix 1080 OC order. I lucked into placing the order less than 15 minutes after the 1070 OC link hit Amazon. Though Amazon's delivery of 10x0 series preorders has been anything but stellar up until this point in time, so who know when or if it might actually ship.

MSI Afterburner.

I'm using MSI afterburner now. With Core Voltage 100, Power Limit 120, Temp limit 92, Fan Speed Auto, I can only get Core Clock to +5 and Memory Clock to + 650. Any higher on the Core Clock than +5 and Heaven and Valley Benchmarks fail/crash.

Temps are fine when I do this but I guess I'll try again with fans 100% and see if I can get the Core Clock any higher.

I'm using MSI afterburner now. With Core Voltage 100, Power Limit 120, Temp limit 92, Fan Speed Auto, I can only get Core Clock to +5 and Memory Clock to + 650. Any higher on the Core Clock than +5 and Heaven and Valley Benchmarks fail/crash.

Temps are fine when I do this but I guess I'll try again with fans 100% and see if I can get the Core Clock any higher.

I'm done sweating over it, I had a brief period of time where I saw 2177 boost in EVGA OSD but I can't replicate it. I'm getting a solid 60FPS in Doom Ultra 4K so is fine for what it is under the stock OC mode. No coil whine and excessive temp for me.

What is irking me is that I can't change my dynamic range to full in Nvidia CP, nor can I change to 10bit even though my Samsung TV is a 10 bit panel.

Last edited:
I'm done sweating over it, I had a brief period of time where I saw 2177 boost in EVGA OSD but I can't replicate it. I'm getting a solid 60FPS in Doom Ultra 4K so is fine for what it is under the stock OC mode. No coil whine is excessive temp for me.

What is irking me is that I can't change my dynamic range to full in Nvidia CP, nor can I change to 10bit even though my Samsung TV is a 10 bit panel.

Yeah my card is very quiet too with no coil whine. Those are big pluses to me since I game like a foot from my rig.

Ah shame was wondering if it shows X in stock, would had been nice info.
Grtz on getting card you wanted though mis1995.
Thanks

My STRIX OC will be here tuesday. The wait game is finally over! Going from a 680 GTX. This upgrade is long overdue.

Ah shame was wondering if it shows X in stock, would had been nice info.
Grtz on getting card you wanted though mis1995.
Thanks

Best of luck snagging one. Although mine isn't a great clocker it's a nice card. My first non-EVGA card in like 10 years.

I come from GTX 780 SLI and boy was I surprised at how powerful the GTX 1080 is! I thought it will just be marginally faster than my SLI cards but I was dead wrong, just one GTX 1080 totally blew away my SLI GTX 780s!!

I have the Strix 1080, amazing card, In OC mode heaven says 2100mhz but the strix software is reading 2063mhz, and it only goes up to 68-72c. I had put the card in a Node 202 and the temps skyrocketed to 95c. I think the case blocked some vents or something. Currently its in a Nano S case and its whisper quiet. Love the card, First card that I have owned that wasnt EVGA.

My Amazon Strix 1070 now has an expected delivery date of July 20th - 27th. In good news, if anyone orders one right now they get the same delivery estimate, so I should be way at the front of the queue if they ship any earlier.

Back