ASUS BIOS "Remembers" Ghost Disks

mb91

n00b
I've been custom-building my desktop Windows boxes for 20 years, but I've never seen anything like this. My primary Windows 10 system started having explorer / context menu problems, whereby whenever I right-clicked just about anything, the expected window would open and then close by itself after a second or two. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this issue and eventually decided the next logical step was to perform what we used to call a "System Repair" (a live re-install, retaining files and installed applications, etc.). But I wanted to make a backup first, so I used Eassus Todo Backup Pro to make a clone of the system partition to another disk. That's when things started going crazy...

I booted into the BIOS to ensure all the system monitors (CPU and mobo heat and the like). But when I went to the BOOT page, there were 12 bootable partitions listed even though I only had 4 disks, and only two had bootable partitions! So I disconnected everything except a single SSD with only a single bootable partition, went back into the BIOS, and it still showed a dozen boot "slots", including disks that were no longer even connected! Wha??? I It was like there were "ghost disks" on the system. Not only that, but none of them booted, not even the actual boot partition on the SSD that was actually connected.

I tried unplugging that computer for 16 hours, hoping that some memory-type component would run out of juice and reset, but nothing changed. I had a lot of older system clones, and I eventually found one that booted, but I couldn't get the wired keyboard and wireless mouse to work at all. I'm gonna try clearing the CMOS next, but first I thought I'd ask for suggestions for what else I might ttry.

Thanks!

If there isn't a button or jumper to reset your BIOS, you can unplug it, then remove the battery from the board. Wait a couple minutes (realistically it's near-instant but wait anyway) and reinstall the batter. Plug it back in and your BIOS will be reset to defaults.

For that matter, if you can boot into the BIOS, you can do a default reset from there.

You sure you aren't confusing the EFI system partitions? It stores the "bootable" drives list there.

Back