Asus B650E-F Boot Issue (Green LED) with RTX 3080

sethk

2[H]4U
Scratching my head on this one - pulled my 3080 from my working X299 system and it wouldn't boot on a new PC (Microcenter bundle B650E-F, 7900X, 64GB 6000 kit running at default 4800Mhz for now). It gets stuck on a green LED during boot. I have a Samsung 980 pro in slot M2_1 and a Acer GM7000 in slot M2_2, no other add in cards. I looked at the usual B650E block diagrams it looks like there should be no shared PCIe lanes between the x16 slot 1 and M2_1?

I plugged in a brand new Thermaltake Platinum 1000W PSU and that made no difference (previously it was 750W gold PSU).

It does boot fine with a RTX 3070. Windows up and running everything fine there shows me the rest of the system is fine. I still reseated all the power cables, RAM etc., and switched back and forth between the 3080 and 3070. Lights come on both, but only the 3070 will actually POST/Boot.

I'd like to use my 3080 instead, just not sure what the issue could be.

Most boards never alter the PCIe x16 slot, unless you populate another PCIe x8/x16 slot in which case it drops both slots down to x8. So the M.2 drives shouldn't really matter here.

Just to rule out some weird issue between transferring the 3080, can you put the 3080 back in another system and verifies it still POSTs with it? It's unlikely but perhaps something happened between transferring it.

If the card still tests good, I would boot with it removed (either iGPU or your working 3070) and update BIOS if you're already not on the latest. If the 3080 still doesn't work after the BIOS update, perhaps try manually forcing the PCIe lane speed to Gen4 or even Gen3 to see if that makes a difference. Last resort, submit a ticket with Asus with your hardware configuration.

Thanks Dopamin3 those are good suggestions, I will need to unplug the other PC from upstairs and give it a go tomorrow with the 3080, hopefully that hasn't "gone bad" somehow but you never know until you try it. I downloaded a new BIOS but it looks like this board doesn't support EZ Update flashing from within Windows even though it has a 'flashback' safe BIOS option - pretty strange, I thought all recent Asus boards did support that but I'll flash it via USB in BIOS mode and re-test.

Thanks Dopamin3 those are good suggestions, I will need to unplug the other PC from upstairs and give it a go tomorrow with the 3080, hopefully that hasn't "gone bad" somehow but you never know until you try it. I downloaded a new BIOS but it looks like this board doesn't support EZ Update flashing from within Windows even though it has a 'flashback' safe BIOS option - pretty strange, I thought all recent Asus boards did support that but I'll flash it via USB in BIOS mode and re-test.
Flashing via Windows is the absolute worst way to flash a BIOS and heightens the chance of a bad flash. I'm personally glad to see Asus no longer offering it. I've avoided that like the plague since it was ever introduced. It used to involve making a FreeDOS bootable drive and running AFUDOS but now all the vendors allowing you to update from the BIOS it's very nice. I'd always recommend loading optimized defaults before flashing too (but it sounds like you're already there since you didn't enable XMP). Flashback is cool too, especially when you have a CPU that won't work until the board gets updated but unnecessary for you since you can POST without the 3080.

Funny experience with me- I've re-pasted many GPUs and they've all been successful. Except for one stinking time I managed to kill a Sapphire 5870. I'm unsure what caused it, my guess was ESD but who knows.

Are you using DP? Some 30-series and 40-series cards need the firmware updated, I ran into a board that refused to POST when I had a 3090ti and thats what I had to do to fix it. Nvidia has a firmware tool for it you can download.

Back