Lots of sites say different.

Ah, thanks. Doing some digging, it seems only the Turing (nvidia 2080) cards support DSC, while the Pascel cards (1080) can be patched* to use DisplayPort 1.4 but without DSC (or at least no DSC 1.2).

* https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_(microarchitecture)
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(microarchitecture)
* Turing specifically calls out new DSC 1.2 support https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-turing-architecture-in-depth/

Last edited:
Does anyone know how far I can drive these screens without DSC?

4K 8-bit 120 Hz or 4K 10 bit 98 Hz. Don’t know how HDR factors into that.

Edit: by default the XG438 seems to only support 4K 10 bit at 60 Hz. Don’t know if adding custom resolution gives 98 Hz.

Last edited:
The Acer Predator CG437KP has been listed for sale here in Finland.

The description says it should be available at the end of September 2019 for 1499 euros. Interesting thing is a mention of "1 ms (VRB) response time" in the specs. This seems to be Acer version of ULMB strobing. If the specs are accurate and not a copy paste flaw then that would be a good extra feature to have to reduce perceived motion blur. I wonder how well it works on a VA panel.

With the XG438Q turning out to be a bit of a shitshow my eyes turn towards the Acer. I have low hopes but maybe they have done it right. As it’s most likely the same panel, all Acer would need is better overdrive implementation and mounting the panel for RGB.

Last edited:
The Acer Predator CG437KP has been listed for sale here in Finland.

The description says it should be available at the end of September 2019 for 1499 euros. Interesting thing is a mention of "1 ms (VRB) response time" in the specs. This seems to be Acer version of ULMB strobing. If the specs are accurate and not a copy paste flaw then that would be a good extra feature to have to reduce perceived motion blur. I wonder how well it works on a VA panel.

With the XG438Q turning out to be a bit of a shitshow my eyes turn towards the Acer. I have low hopes but maybe they have done it right. As it’s most likely the same panel, all Acer would need is better overdrive implementation and mounting the panel for RGB.

Wishful thinking perhaps. I don't see why Asus mounted it the way they did unless it was technically challenging/costly to do otherwise. I don't tthink EVERY 43" monitor does this, but a large percentage do. I won't hold my breath that Acer have done any different, but we shall see...

As it’s most likely the same panel, all Acer would need is better overdrive implementation and mounting the panel for RGB.

Pretty much agreed, though I'm far from sold on the black smearing. I need to go play with my 32" VA a bit more.

If you look at other monitors that Asus and Acer use the same panel in, there usually isn't a huge difference between them with response time

Acer X35 and Asus PG35VQ were both recently released using the same panel, and performed almost identical in regards to response time. Even had the same flickering and scanline issues because they used the same Gsync module

So any difference between the two might just be a battle of the margins and a few features. We're at the mercy of the panels

If you look at other monitors that Asus and Acer use the same panel in, there usually isn't a huge difference between them with response time

Acer X35 and Asus PG35VQ were both recently released using the same panel, and performed almost identical in regards to response time. Even had the same flickering and scanline issues because they used the same Gsync module

So any difference between the two might just be a battle of the margins and a few features. We're at the mercy of the panels

The only small glimmer of hope is that the CG437K is a SLIGHTLY different revision of the panel, being HDR-1000 vs HDR-600... this may amount to absolutely nothing of course, but it's all there is really to hang any hopes on at present. I do expect it to be the same though, BGR and all the other flaws that the XG438Q has. Same goes for the Asus UQ

Next year will at least see some higher refresh 32" 4K options arrive, but I think the 40"+ dream is dead for the foreseeable future... at least in the form of anything decent.

Back