Ass-Backwards, per Usual...

QualiC

n00b
well Hello…I like to stumble on into this forum every couple years, AFTER I have just built a new system and have problems…heaven forbid I might actually thoroughly research stuff before doing it. Not really the Design-then-Build type I guess…more the Build-Build-Build-then-Redesign. Keeps life interesting anyway, even if a bit less satisfactory… ;)

So post-hurricane(s) last season, I found myself with some nice salvaged/free parts, mainly outta the garbage…a P4 3.2 (didn’t know what or who a Prescott was at the time…whereas now I pass idle time burning Mr.Prescott in effigy), a total of 1.5GB of DDR2, a couple nice SATA drives, and a gaggle of various optical drives. So with the only real out-of-pocket costs being a new MB (PCI-E MSI 915P http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=915P_Combo-F&class=mb ) and a new video card, this is one hell of a system for the price. And believe me, I was constantly reminding myself of that as I tore the thing apart over and over in order to beat the Prescott-Inferno.

I ended up using a massive heatsink out of a Dell…6 copper (heat?)pipes crossing over the CPU plate, and then turning straight up for 6.25” as they pass through 70+ thin, 2.5” x 3”, radiator-like plates…forming a massive, heavy hunk of metal that almost hit the lid of a large ATX case. Truly, the only reason I had kept that thing around is because it’s so absurdly big that even my friends that usually run away when I start talking about computers were intrigued enough to at least pretend to listen anyway.

But of course ‘ol Dell has been hard at work inventing new ways to underhandedly give hobbyists the finger without the public ever noticing. Why couldn’t they just use the same industry standard for HS-mounting-hole spacing on the LGA 775 boards as everyone else? Because they are evil… I am certain they monitored me and laughed as I spent countless hours engineering a way to mount that beast of a HS securely to the MSI board. After testing out MSI’s ETS (emergency thermal shutdown) feature too many times, I did succeed though…and I also learned that Dell can’t monitor me if I wrap my head in foil. So if I ever post a pic, you won’t have to ask what’s up with my shiny hat…

And so with my CPU temps firmly under the control (avg. 65C @ 50% load, down from 80C (!) b4 mods), I’m finally trying to do a little OC’ing…and not getting past 1% (3216mhz). MSI included a desktop interface for both Ocing and volt-modding, and this CPU will freeze the system so fast that no way temp is an issue…its always resting at around 52C when I try. Do others also have as poor luck with this CPU? Sure seems like it should go higher, thus maybe I’m missing something? Have even tried minimal volt-mods to CPU, DDR2, and PCIe, which work fine. Oh, and why do most sysinfo util’s show 2 CPUs?

Oh, and one final question: I just got an ATI x800GT w/128mb DDR2 for $20 and was all excited to replace my GeForce 6600GT 256mb DDR2, which OC’s very nice, but has real hard time with Oblivion w/HDR. Well, am I the only one surprised to find the 6600 totally dusts the x800 with FRAPS benches in game? The x800 doesn’t even have HDR, and w/out that on, the 6600 beats it even worse… Yet 3Dmark2001 gives ATI over 2000 pts lead. Hmm. Is there a way to OC the x800GT at all?

Thanks for reading this far! -Q!

google ATITool, nifty little program.

you should be able to crank out a good bit on the core of that thing

Thanks much, just downloaded and gonna give it a whirl!

Also a BUMP for any comment on the OC potential of this 3.2 Prescott and if my lame 1% OC with instant freeze at 2% has been seen b4? Are there ever cases when it matters how you OC the CPU, whether from windows via softmod, or from bios, or if some softmod progs don't work as well as others in some instances?

Thanks!
Q

Overclocking from BIOS is always more stable. You should try overclocking your memory and CPU independently. After only getting ~100 extra mhz out of my 4200+ X2, I upgraded my ram to some high end OCZ (thank you [H]ot|DEALS) and was able to get my stock 2.2Ghz up to 2.75, and stable if I keep my A/C set at 73F.

Anyway, the top reasons you can't overclock are:
Your Processor is Too Hot
Your Power Supply is Underpowered
Your Memory is Overstressed (timings, frequency)
Your BIOS is Misconfigured

You can:
Buy A Better PSU
Buy A Better Heatsink
Buy Better RAM
Check the Forums of Your Motherboard Manufacturer for Correct BIOS Settings

Back