ASrock z97 Extreme series thoughts/ insights.

shaggy77

Gawd
Hi,

Back story

I am in the process of upgrading my computer. I have a Microcenter about 40 minutes from my residence. For awhile now, I have been thinking about updating my computer. My C2Q 9550 has been a real workhorse but I would like to take advantage of SATA 3 ports and USB 3.0. I thought about installing an expansion card for USB 3 and SATA 3 but I don't think it is worth as by the time those parts are purchased and installed, I am looking at about 2/3 the cost of a new main board for a system that has proper native connections. My wife and I bought a something a little better than a point and shoot camera for photos (Nikon D5300 DSLR) The only thing I have done to my computer in the last few years was install an SSD which gave it a bit more speed. Our laptop is a Toshiba with a i7 4700MQ with 8 gigs and SSD. That unit feels very snappy. Windows 8.1 is alright but I still prefer 7.

Here is what I have so far on the list.

1. Core i5-4690K
  2. 8 GB Crucial DDR3 1600
  3. 5.25 bay card reader/ USB 3.0/ new front audio panel jacks

Here is what I will be reusing

1. SSD (Samsung 840 Pro 256GB)
  2. Cooler master 590 case
  3. Corsair TX 750 PSU
  4. WD 1.5 TB storage drive
  5. GB 5870HD (still in the air about this one. Thinking about going green this time. worst case use the on board grpahics.)

The only thing I have not placed on this list is a motherboard to go with this new build. It seems most of the boards in the 150 dollar class perform the same. Most of the canned benchmarks place all off them within in a second in timed results or a couple of points when it comes to that structure. I usually don't look at ASrock. I felt they seem to be a "cheaper" product. However, the reviews I have found on the extreme series seem to indicate a reversal in that thought process. The local MC is running a special on the Extreme 4 model for $90 AR when you purchase a qualifying processor. This seems pretty cheap but doable. Since the plan is not go nuts on the overclock. (Call me old but I see no advantage at this point in my life to overclock as much any more :D ) These newer chips have taken the point of OCing out of the equation.

Questions

• Anyone run an ASrock z97 Extreme 4 board?
  • How do you like it?
  • What about connectivity with NIC?
  • How is the on board sound?
  • Any other issues you might have had?
  • If not this particular model, which model are you using in the Extreme series? I seen the Extreme 6 was pretty popular but it seems to be a little more than what I needed it for.

Thanks for the input/comments/suggestions/ concern. I would like to get a new system in place before the sales are over. As for the my C2Q, that will be either going to shop rig (AMD system would be sold off if it can be) or seeing if my boss wants to buy the CPU/MB and DDR2 combo. We run C2D/Q machines in work. One of those systems has an issue. I know he would be happy to take the parts off my hands and pocket some extra money for a new video card or something.

AR has been putting a lot of great products these recent years, even they are focusing on overclocking more and more. Their Bios are very complete in that segment. Mostly your paying marketing dollars if your going for a huge name as ASUS or Gigabyte. They spend heavily and also have much bigger head count to pay than AR. Thats the premium you pay...

The Z97 Extreme 4 is probably the one of the best z97 value boards your money can get right now. From what I see its loaded with options and its always great to have CF and SLI for a future upgrade. :D

This project has been cancelled. I would love to have a new computer but my wife does not see the real benefit of updating the desktop since we have a newer laptop. So I will probably holdout for Skylake LOL.

Back