ASRock Z77 Extreme4 requires "double-sleep"

Objekt

Limp Gawd
I'm having a weird problem with "sleep" mode in a system built with an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. The system has to be placed in "Sleep" mode twice, or it doesn't stay asleep. If I am using Windows 7 and invoke the "Sleep" command, or just let it enter "Sleep" automatically through power management settings, the machine doesn't stay that way. After around 1 minute, the system will mysteriously start up, even though I haven't touched the mouse, keyboard, or anything else.

FWIW, I tried both having "hybrid sleep" turned on, and having it turned off. Didn't make a difference.

I'm not using the ASRock "Instant Boot" utility (it's not even installed). So I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

If it helps, I had all the same hardware installed on a different motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H) recently and didn't have this issue (it had different ones!).

Well that's odd. I don't remember selecting "Wake on LAN," but apparently that's what it was. Must be particular to the drivers for the Broadcom Ethernet NIC used in this motherboard.

I also stumbled upon several discussions where people were having very similar problems, with computers randomly waking from sleep - all caused by the "Wake on LAN" thing. I'm not too sure why WOL would be desirable.

Anyway, I turned off the NIC's ability to wake the machine, using Device Manager. My new build now stays asleep when placed in sleep mode. Thanks!

Wake on LAN is good for servers so they don't have to stay on 24/7, you can wake them remotely when needed. There should also be a setting for Magic Packets so only "real" WOL requests are acknowledged, but still only really useful if your using it as a server.

Back